PC to Audio Receiver won't detect Dolby Digital. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am running a coaxial digital audio cable from my pc to my receiver, my pc shows that it supports Dolby Digital and when I test it I can hear it through the speakers. It shows Dolby on my receiver until I play a sound on my pc then it switches to pcm. I have several other devices hooked up to the receiver that work fine with Dolby and my pc says it has the option so I have no idea why it won't work. I use Dolby Pro Logic IIx if that matters. Thanks for any comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppingpulse View Post

I am running a coaxial digital audio cable from my pc to my receiver, my pc shows that it supports Dolby Digital and when I test it I can hear it through the speakers. It shows Dolby on my receiver until I play a sound on my pc then it switches to pcm. I have several other devices hooked up to the receiver that work fine with Dolby and my pc says it has the option so I have no idea why it won't work. I use Dolby Pro Logic IIx if that matters. Thanks for any comments.

What sort of media are you using when the pc switches to pcm. Is it like a dolby digital encoded DVD or is like a stereo CD or downloaded file?
post #3 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 AM

Liked: 24
Also, what application do you use to play your media?

That's important because some applications can decode the Dolby Digital stream from media (DVD, etc.) just fine, but will only present PCM to the outside world. Other applications will pass the stream right on through to the output. Could also be a setting in the app somewhere. For example, iTunes decodes DD, but will only send PCM to the outside world. VLC decodes DD too, and by default outputs PCM to the outside, but has an option to output the raw media stream to the outside world so you can decode in the AVR. Some applications have the option to send multi-channel PCM out too, and that's fine but your AVR would display the fact that it's getting multichannel PCM. If it's getting two-channel PCM, it's going to drop back to PLIIx or the like, not optimal.

The actual media matters much less than the application you're using.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
the media does need to have a DD or DTS track for it though, for it to show up as DD or DTS on your receiver.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

I am using it to play video games. I have my hdtv connected to my graphics card with an hdmi cable and the audio running from the digital cox output on my pc to the receiver. Most everything I play is run on Steam and the games I am playing are new-gen games that I know support Dolby. I somewhat understand what you all are talking about but it is a little over my head. So basically I just wanna know if theirs something I can do to get my receiver to use Dolby instead of PCM, or what I might be doing wrong that is preventing it, thanks. It switches over to PCM immediately after I play any sound (i.e. open a folder) but it won't switch back to Dolby even when I start playing a game.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 11:21 PM

Liked: 24
The problem isn't your receiver, it's the way the computer handles audio from the system and media. The key is that you stated that system sounds go to the receiver as PCM. From what you're saying the PC is spitting out PCM to the receiver, and not passing the Dolby Digital stream directly. It's not the receiver's fault, it's correctly decoding what it gets, it's just getting PCM.

This is because of how the PC routes digital audio. Could be a function of the sound card, might be a setting in the sound card driver that does the trick, or you might want a different sound card that specifically can pass Dolby Digital through to the coax connector without decoding it first. Most coax digital outputs come from the sound card, and the actual decoding of Dolby Digital probably happens on the card too. I'd look there first, and then haunt the gaming forums. I'll bet they've had this problem more than once, probably solved it.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Hello Hopping pulse

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. And I did some extensive reading !

Here's the scenario and there's nothing much anyone can do about it.

1. Good that you are connected on HDMI, that saves you a ton of headache.

2. Games are ALWAYS decoded by your computer. You cannot have them play as Dolby Digital, Iff your sound card says it can play Dolby Digital, it can, be sure you have it setup so ( You should have a Audio Control Panel - Creative, IDT, RealTek etc ). But you can always change setup in the game to 5.1 (Even PCM ) if it supports it. If your game does not support 5.1, set your AVR to 7ch Enhancer, it will give you a more immersive sound. And trust me, PCM vs DTS/Dolby does not make a big difference when you are gaming. Today's games are intelligent enough to have positional audio built into them !

3. For your sound card to play DTS/Dolby, you will have to Bitstream it. This meaning, any video you play is mostly PCM as the players like VLC, Media Player Classic stream it that way. Exception will be a 5.1 Enabled original movie DVD.

4. However you can set up bitsreaming by following the link below: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide

Do PM me if you need further clarification.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page