Outdoor Speaker Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Ok, so I did try searching, but as most of you know this new search engine is terrible...all I could find is garbage from 2004 and older.

Anyways...now on to my "setup question".

I hope this makes sense.

Basically I need to install a few speakers for my patio, but I need them to be removable for winter as I have no good place to cover them and I need them to last.

Based on where I need to place them I think I am going to be "forced" to use something like this.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10904&cs_id=1090401&p_id=6966&seq=1&format=2

I have a separate amp off my main system that I will be using to power them.

I figured it would make sense to include one of these as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090304&p_id=6851&seq=1&format=2

NOW...I assume all I do is run "outdoor" rated wire out of my basement, then underground to where it will hook up to the volume control, then I go from the volume control to the back of the speakers.

Is it that simple ?

Then in the winter, I simply "remove" the speakers and wrap up the exposed wires from the control and away I go ?

Is there a "better" way to do this ?  I wish I would find somewhere to mount real speakers...but I really have no "structures" in close enough proximity.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I am also in the planning stages for outdoor music.  However, I am not impressed with monoprice's current offerings.  By the by, the speaker you linked is currently out of stock.

There was a thread here a weeks ago, that was about someone being unhappy with their outdoor speakers. 

I am still checking specs and have not found anything that I like for a price I want.  So since my next big shindig won't be until December, I am still looking for what I want for the price I want.

Back on subject...

The process is simple enough and you have the gist of it.  I read somewhere that one of the weakest links in an outdoor system is the additional volume box, but I can't find it, or the thread I mentioned above.

So with that said, what distance away will the speakers be?  How loud do you want them to be?  And what will the source of music be; i.e. iPod/MP3, AVR's "B" system, or some other in line system.  There may be a better way to control sound, than the one you are currently thinking about.

EDIT. Found it, forrest for the trees and all...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1424642/distorted-speakers-need-more-volume

post #3 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Ok, so I did try searching, but as most of you know this new search engine is terrible...all I could find is garbage from 2004 and older.

Anyways...now on to my "setup question".

I hope this makes sense.

Basically I need to install a few speakers for my patio, but I need them to be removable for winter as I have no good place to cover them and I need them to last.

Based on where I need to place them I think I am going to be "forced" to use something like this.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10904&cs_id=1090401&p_id=6966&seq=1&format=2

I have a separate amp off my main system that I will be using to power them.

I figured it would make sense to include one of these as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090304&p_id=6851&seq=1&format=2

NOW...I assume all I do is run "outdoor" rated wire out of my basement, then underground to where it will hook up to the volume control, then I go from the volume control to the back of the speakers.

Is it that simple ?

Then in the winter, I simply "remove" the speakers and wrap up the exposed wires from the control and away I go ?

Is there a "better" way to do this ?  I wish I would find somewhere to mount real speakers...but I really have no "structures" in close enough proximity.

Any outdoor system has to be designed to meet your application's needs. There's a big difference between playing background music and running dance parties.

There are also SQ issues.

There are speakers that are designed for year-around use outdoors.

"TIC GS-3 150-Watt Outdoor In-Ground Speaker"

and:

"TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers"

As far as putting wiring underground, mere outdoor rated cable won't do.

You want cable that is rated for use underground, or put it in a well-drained conduit.

Not to worry, your local home improvement store probably has what you need on the shelf.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Yep, I really just need background music...vs. dance party.

I will have the cable in conduit (coming from the basement).

Now I just wonder if I need to add 4 speakers vs. the 2 for future upgrades. Also looks like the "in line" volume control is a BAD IDEA ?

So perhaps I will just sink a small weather proof box in the ground to join the cables together...and control via my zone control on my reciever via my cell phone.

post #5 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I bought my parents a pair of portable wireless speakers from the source. There is a sender unit from a sound source, and the speakers go where ever you want with either AC power or battery (would need rechargeables). The speakers have their own volume and power button and have a nice glowing blue light aiming down so you don't trip over them at night. I can't find the ones I bought, but here are some options:
AWS5 Indoor/outdoor wireless
AU Velo 4 pack
If it is only background music, they an option. Cheers.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page