UPS for projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
simook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've spent the last week pouring over threads and articles on power conditioners, surge protectors, battery backups, etc... and I feel like I have a good basis on what's worth spending money on.

I live in an apartment building (5 floors) in Portland, Oregon. 90% of the time the power seems stable, but during storms or in the winter months we do experience blackouts, brownouts, and spikes (I also can notice flickering in the lights when running appliances). I'm waiting to hear back from my building if we have any kind of industrial surge protection or power backups.

So at the very least I want to protect our Panasonic PT-AR100U projector with a UPS so it can perform it's cool down cycle before being powered off. For that I'm looking at these units:
1) CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD
2) APC J25B

The rest of the equipment (Marantz SR5006, Apple TV) just needs a decent surge protector, for that I haven't spent much time looking.


What do you guys recommend for surge protection and UPS for under $200? They will probably need to be sperate as the receiver and projector need at least 1000watts.
simook is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MarkHotchkiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 1,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Hi Simook,

And welcome to the forum.

The fan in the projector is very important when the lamp is on. Proper cool-down cycles are also important on a long term basis, meaning that if you never run a cool-down it will shorten the life of the bulb and possibly the projector. But I don't believe there is any harm in forgoing the cool-down on an occasional basis, such as when the power goes out.

I would just put the projector on the same surge-protector as the Marantz and Apple-TV.
MarkHotchkiss is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Colm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
+1
Colm is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
simook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, now to find a decent designed surge protector.
simook is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 04:51 AM
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,530
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by simook View Post

I've spent the last week pouring over threads and articles on power conditioners, surge protectors, battery backups, etc... and I feel like I have a good basis on what's worth spending money on.
I live in an apartment building (5 floors) in Portland, Oregon. 90% of the time the power seems stable, but during storms or in the winter months we do experience blackouts, brownouts, and spikes (I also can notice flickering in the lights when running appliances). I'm waiting to hear back from my building if we have any kind of industrial surge protection or power backups.
So at the very least I want to protect our Panasonic PT-AR100U projector with a UPS so it can perform it's cool down cycle before being powered off. For that I'm looking at these units:
1) CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD
2) APC J25B
The rest of the equipment (Marantz SR5006, Apple TV) just needs a decent surge protector, for that I haven't spent much time looking.
What do you guys recommend for surge protection and UPS for under $200? They will probably need to be sperate as the receiver and projector need at least 1000watts.

There is a third option - do nothing.

The cost of doing nothing can easily be zero.

Flickering of lights does not have a lasting effect - it is usually due to line voltage sagging (IOW becoming less than normal) when some appliance with a motor starts up. The short-term drop might be 10 volts, which has negligible effect on the life of the projector.

As far as your power outages in the winter go, what are the odds that a power outage is going to occur while you are using the projector? That has a lot to do with how many hours per day you will actually have it turned on, which only you can even estimate at this time.

Then there is the matter of the consequences of dumping a projector. We all agree that it is not a good thing, but quantifying the actual damage is kinda hard to do. For example we have a number of projectors at church on roll-around AV carts. The probability that they get dumped is high. We've had them for years and one of them actually failed, but we aren't sure why.

I looked at the devices you mention and one has more capacity than the other, so your question seems weakly formed - you aren't asking about a comparison of apples to apples.

It looks like either would be capable of shepherding your projector through a cool-down cycle. But unlike computers, projectors don't have a formal interface with the UPS that automatically starts the shut down cycle when power is lost. Will you be able to actually do this 100% of the time, given that it would be a manual operation? Remember, you will have to do this in the dark! ;-)

Bottom line is that power isn't exactly reliable around here and I've taken the position that a UPS is not needed, even though I have some good candidates on hand - they just need a new battery. We've lost power about 20 times this summer, and I guess there might have been one forced shutdown of our RPTV more than a month back. So far, no adverse affects have been noticeable.
arnyk is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 AM
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,530
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by simook View Post

Thanks, now to find a decent designed surge protector.

What for?
Ethan Winer likes this.
arnyk is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
simook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
As far as your power outages in the winter go, what are the odds that a power outage is going to occur while you are using the projector?
Hard to say but we watch movies almost every evening and the projector is our main display device.
Quote:
Bottom line is that power isn't exactly reliable around here and I've taken the position that a UPS is not needed, even though I have some good candidates on hand - they just need a new battery
I dont know If I understand your position on this, are you referring to power as in power backups, conditioners, etc... or the power grid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

What for?

I'm a ui designer and am very critical of electronics having functional design, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Rams. Granted it will be hidden but it still bothers me to have something that isn't aesthetic.
simook is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 PM
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,530
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by simook View Post


I dont know If I understand your position on this, are you referring to power as in power backups, conditioners, etc... or the power grid?

Power grid. I live in one of the oldest parts ot our suburb, and the infrastructure is getting tired. There is probably copper in series with my power plugs that was new in 1932.

Quote:
I'm a ui designer and am very critical of electronics having functional design, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Rams. Granted it will be hidden but it still bothers me to have something that isn't aesthetic.

I generally am very critical of the looks of audio gear, and take the view that equipment should be heard and not seen.
arnyk is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Colm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

What for?
Why to protect against all those nasty surges lurking around just waiting to damage your expensive gear, of course.

How did we survive all those years before surge protective devices became common place?

The need for surge protection is highly over hyped. But if one feels the need, adequate protection is not expensive. The largest surge you are likely to experience if there is more than 30' of wire between the service entrance and your gear is about 90J. Buy something that will handle an order of magnitude more on each leg and you will have something that should last a long time.

Anecdotal evidence from this site seems to show that the most common surge damage is to HDMI ports of a TV connected to a cable box. My guess is that this is usually because the cable is not properly grounded where it enters the building.

There are some important things to keep in mind when using surge protective devices. The first is that all conductive paths to the equipment must be protected. The second is that if you are using MOV-based devices, if you use 3-mode devices (L-N, L-G, N-G), you can actually create problems you wouldn't otherwise have if you don't know what you are doing. IMHO the best approach is a whole-house approach. But that is not an option for all of us.
Colm is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
simook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guess I'll just stick with my Ikea Koppla Surge Protector wink.gif
simook is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 08-27-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 5,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 454
This has been talked about countless times in the Projector forum, this is the audio theory/setup/chat forum .....do a search there.........
mtbdudex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off