Multi-Room speaker setup advice please. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My home has pre-installed wall speakers in 5 rooms, 1. Family, 2. Living, 3. Den/guestroom, 4. Dining, and 5. Kitchen. I have used an audiovox separates setup consisting of pre-amp, amp, and manual speak switch box for years, and unfortunately it is extremely dated and needs to be updated. Each set of speakers all terminate to one room the 1. family room, where I also have a 5.1 home theater setup, and actually use the pre-installed family room set as my surrounds. I want the ability to have full wireless control and network capability, however because all speakers are wired to one room my setup has become quite convoluted in my mind. I run rca's out from my HT receiver to my pre-amp so I could enjoy pandora and sirius apps around the multi-room via the old system. I have searched around looking for options and the best options seems to be SONOS. However I have avoided purchasing SONOS because I worked it up in my mind that I would have to end up purchasing around 4-5 zp 120's and hook them all up in my av cabinet in my family room, it's the expense that has me questioning there has got to be a better solution. I was drawn to SONOS because of the multi-room wireless control via smartphone and tablets apps, or the sonos remote. The cheapest solution would be to just buy a zp 90 and hook it into either my ht receiver or pre-amp, however this would still require me to keep using the old system I want to get rid of, and most important would not give me the full wireless control I desire. I want to be able to play different media in different rooms and turn off/on separate rooms as I wish in any part of my home. Again the only solution that I know of would be to purchase 4 zp 120 sonos players so they would power and control rooms 2-5, and then purchase 1 zp 90 for the room 1 for the 5.1 system.

In short, I want full wireless control for my multi room (5 rooms) setup, where all pre-installed speakers terminate to 1 room. I would like to entirely replace my old pre-amp, amp, speaker switch box, setup. Room 1 which where all the speaker wires terminate to, also has 5.1 setup where the pre-installed speakers in that room are currently being used as surrounds for the 5.1. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page