Need Help connecting home theater system xbox dvd to epson 8350 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys thanks for taking a look. So I have recently decided to make a Home theater in my bonus room . I went with the EPSON 8350 ,SLS Q-Line Gold 650w 5.1 Surround Sound Home Theater System, I have an Xbox , Direct TV and DVD player that I want to hook up. and man I dont know where to start ! There is 2 HDMI ports on the Projector But NONE on the SLS reciever . Can someone please give me some guidance on how to set this system up !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 AM

Liked: 24
Any particular reason you picked the SLS? I'm betting price, but perhaps it was something else. Hope so.

Here's the deal. The SLS system, as good a deal as it may seem, is pretty much junk. Sorry, but anything these days that doesn't include HDMI is next to useless. Really. What did you expect from a 5.1 system with receiver and free shipping for just over 400 beans?

But there are some options: You can probably get pictures to the Epson by connecting component video cables between the source device (X-box, DVD, etc.) and the SLS using component video cables, then go out of the SLS component video outputs to the component video in on the Epson. It's actually going to take 3 individual cables for each connection, usually bundled together somehow so they end up exactly the same length. But here's the problem. If you plan to play Blu-ray discs, and with the 8350 and any screen of a size it would work with, that's what you should be doing, you're going to get shot down because BD needs HDMI for something called HDCP, which is a form of copy protection. What happens is the player says to whatever it's connected to, "Hey, I'm a BD player! What the heck are you?". The device needs to answer "Hi, I'm a display!" or "Hey, I'm just passing the signal to a display!" If the player gets that replay, everything works. If the player doesn't get that answer, it's not going to play a good number of discs. Not at all.

If your DVD player has component outputs, that will work with the SLS, but it's not typical anymore to have them. If a device you're using doesn't have component video outputs, you're kinda screwed. You'd get a basic picture using the composite video jack, but it's very low quality, and your 8350 deserves a whole lot more.

As a work-around, you could connect your HDMI sources to the Epson directly and then, if the source has an analog or optical audio output (that will work at the same time as HDMI), feed that to the SLS for sound. It's a kludge at best, though, and you'll pretty much hate it right off the bat. Add to that work-around an HDMI switcher from Monoprice.com (that's where you'll get the component video cables too), and it might be sort of workable.

But really, man, ditch the SLS, get an entry-level system with HDMI ins and outs. You'll be glad you did.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks man for the update I cancelled the SLS system. Now im looking towards the ONKYO HT s5400 . Is that any good ? that has HDMI ports and would make life ALOT easier ! Also its a 7.1 system can I (or should I even ) set it up as a 5.1 system . I have a room thats 12ft wide by 22 deep what would be the best setup ? Any thoughts about the ONKYO S5400 or is there a better option out there. Im looking for something that Sounds Great , Will make the room come alive . I also saw tha Microphone calibration and I thought something like that would be pretty cool for a rookie like me. I have never had a HT system this Is my first So i just want it to be an Awsome experience for me and the family . Thanks for the help !
Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 AM

Liked: 24
Definitely on the right track. Still a little light weight to qualify for "Sounds Great", but if that's your budget it's a better choice. You can do 5.1 or 7.1, either will work. 7.1 is mostly a "fake out" as movie tracks are mostly 5.1 only. If you don't have the place for, or want to buy the rear speakers, you can leave them out, no big deal.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
IMO for a person like you the Onkyo HT-S9400THX is the perfect system! Its a 7.1 THX certified system with sealed speakers and sub. IMO it is the best HTiB on the market, 2 family members of mine have the older versions of it the 9100THX and 9300THX and they sound great for the cost.

If you don't mind buying a refurb unit, which I have and Onkyo refurb receiver and both the said systems above were refurb and no issues. You can buy the 9400THX which has an MSRP of $1,100 for $600! http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS9400/Onkyo-HT-S9400-THX-7.1-Ch-Network-Home-Theater-Receiver/Speaker/1.html

Shawn
Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreceiate it ! I cant wait to get everything up and running.