center speaker idea, what do you think? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I am in the plan phases of building a 3.1 system to double as HT and music enjoyment. I had an idea about the center. After some research i have found that the horizontal center speaker has some flaws due to the way the speakers are placed side by side. There have been some designs to fix this issue that off set the speakers in the box and even the addition of some (very expensive) 3 way options. my question is why have i not seen and single (or even 2 driver) full range center speakers. When thinking of a movie the center plays a very important roll, ie. vocals. as i understand it most 2 way systems run their crossover points around 2khz and from what i have read it seems like that is in the prime range for the type of effects this speaker would be used for. with a full range single driver there would be no need for a crossover and any blending of range. This seems like it would/could provide a very enjoyable listening experience. Is there important information i am missing or does it seem like this idea has merit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 124

The answer is the same as to the question of why we do not see many full-range single driver speakers in other applications/channels.  For a related idea, see the KEF centers which use a concentric tweeter/midrange or tweeter/woofer.  Of course, they would be good matches to other KEF speakers.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kal Rubinson, Thx for alll the reply's biggrin.gif

However i still don't understand the "answer". I looked up the KEF and it seems that they are on the same page. I was thinking that with a full range driver i could gain all the major ranges nice and clean. It could be a single speaker and if it projects right then there would be no "sweet spot" just vocals for everyone. The box would would take some creativity to get right but could be a wonderful piece to the HT puzzle. So just to clarify do you agree that the idea has merit?

to add to it, how about a 3.1 with L/C/R all single driver full ranges? i would prefer the sub for a little extra feeling in the music and movies but im wondering if anyone else has taken this or a similar path and could offer any input.

Thx
post #4 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Kef uses dual concentric or coax drivers, meaning the tweeter is placed in the center of the mid or woofer cone. Yes they can play full range but aren't what most refer to as a full range driver.

I agree it is a superior setup opposed to a typical horizontal TM center. I use Tannoy dual concentrics(similar to Kef) and am pleased with the dispersion and sound.

Mike
post #5 of 5 Old 08-30-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnik View Post

Hello all,
I am in the plan phases of building a 3.1 system to double as HT and music enjoyment. I had an idea about the center. After some research i have found that the horizontal center speaker has some flaws due to the way the speakers are placed side by side. There have been some designs to fix this issue that off set the speakers in the box and even the addition of some (very expensive) 3 way options. my question is why have i not seen and single (or even 2 driver) full range center speakers. When thinking of a movie the center plays a very important roll, ie. vocals. as i understand it most 2 way systems run their crossover points around 2khz and from what i have read it seems like that is in the prime range for the type of effects this speaker would be used for.

People may be misleading you. The intelligibility of human speech centers on the range from about 300 Hz to 2 KHz. Look at the response we have been tolerating for decades from telephones. Above 2 KHz speech sound is dominated by sibilance which is significant for naturalness and intelligibility, but can be lergely ditched with considerable intelligibility remaining. So 2 KHz isn't in the middle of the prime range, it is over towards the top edge.
Quote:
with a full range single driver there would be no need for a crossover and any blending of range.

So-called full range speakers can easily be built that work well over the 200-2 KHz range. Usually either smaller drivers or cone break up is used to develop response above 5 KHz or so. A speaker that woks well from 20 Hz to 20 KHz with low distortion, smooth response, and good dynamic range has proven to be mission impossible.

Driver directiivity is a big issue at higher and lower frequencies. I've measured 15" drivers that had fairly smooth response up to say 12 KHz, but only over a very narrow area. Small drivers lack directiivity at low frequencies. Some directiivity control seems to be beneficial.
Quote:
This seems like it would/could provide a very enjoyable listening experience. Is there important information i am missing or does it seem like this idea has merit?

A fairly balanced view of single-driver speakers is given at http://fullrangedriver.com/singledriver/ even though it is an enthusiast's web site.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page