Wire Six Speaker Pairs on Amp, Possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Fellow Members

My father has six pairs of speakers run throughout his house (example: 1 pair in Kitchen, one in Master Bed Room, Stereo speaker in master bath that takes both left and right channel inputs, etc). He has a volume control in each room controlling the volume to the speakers.

He does not own a multi-room Amp, He has a Yamaha S500 amp.

One audio tech said if wired the speakers correctly for the Ohm load the amp supports per channel, it could work.

This is a quick diagram that was recommended for the wiring. What do you guys say is the best way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You have an A/B speaker switch on your Yamaha. I set up a six room speaker setup in my cousins house w/a Niles speaker selector and Paradigm ceiling speakers w/volumn controls in each room. We also have two rock speakers outside. Our sound source was a 1978 Kenwood KR-7600. The Niles SS-6 also has a protection device that will keep your receiver from overloading. He's had it for 12 years w/out any incident. Cost is about $145. Uncomplicated and a piece of cake to install.smile.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

You have an A/B speaker switch on your Yamaha. I set up a six room speaker setup in my cousins house w/a Niles speaker selector and Paradigm ceiling speakers w/volumn controls in each room. We also have two rock speakers outside. Our sound source was a 1978 Kenwood KR-7600. The Niles SS-6 also has a protection device that will keep your receiver from overloading. He's had it for 12 years w/out any incident. Cost is about $145. Uncomplicated and a piece of cake to install.smile.gif

Yeah we tried a Speaker selector and it blew even with the protection button pushed in. The speaker combiner was even worse for the heat protection to go on the amp.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 08:50 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 206
You can't only concern yourself with the impedance seen by the amplifier.

Even though the "audio tech" said it could work if the load was ok, one must consider the varying levels of voltage and current in the branch circuit. Although your load may be 5.33 ohms by examining speaker rated impedance, with the long runs of wire, and runs of varying length, who knows the resultant load.

Ideally, you want the same voltage and current across each coil. You can series drivers, you can parallel drivers, you can series two sets and then parallel them together, but you can't mix the topology. You can't mix the drive voltages, which is what would occur in your drawing.

For example what your diagram shows is 2 drivers in series, across another single in parallel. All the drive voltage from the amp is across the first driver. However, the two drivers in series split the drive voltage. If their impedance is the same, the voltage is split half and half across them. So those two only get half the voltage as compared to the first driver.

Sincerely, I hope I didn't muddy up the waters further. I'll attempt detail much more clearly this if you like.

Best of luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #5 of 5 Old 09-03-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

You can't only concern yourself with the impedance seen by the amplifier.
Even though the "audio tech" said it could work if the load was ok, one must consider the varying levels of voltage and current in the branch circuit. Although your load may be 5.33 ohms by examining speaker rated impedance, with the long runs of wire, and runs of varying length, who knows the resultant load.
Ideally, you want the same voltage and current across each coil. You can series drivers, you can parallel drivers, you can series two sets and then parallel them together, but you can't mix the topology. You can't mix the drive voltages, which is what would occur in your drawing.
For example what your diagram shows is 2 drivers in series, across another single in parallel. All the drive voltage from the amp is across the first driver. However, the two drivers in series split the drive voltage. If their impedance is the same, the voltage is split half and half across them. So those two only get half the voltage as compared to the first driver.
Sincerely, I hope I didn't muddy up the waters further. I'll attempt detail much more clearly this if you like.
Best of luck

Thanks FOH for you feedback. It seems that the wire lengths are all different as it a wired house.

- For the current Amp in place what do you think is the best wiring configuration for six pairs of speakers to keep the voltage / currents across each coil the same?

- Is this even possible and what can be done testing wise for stability?

Heat is always a factor. I'm not really concerned with volume being a bit low for one speaker in the pair in room or one room having less volume then another. This can be managed with room size. The smallest room will take the hit of the loss is volume.

Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance

X
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page