Another "Odd Living Room Setup" Thread (w/pics) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to help a buddy out an am a little lost. I'm usually the go-to guy for my friends' A/V setups but this one kinda has me stumped. He's finishing up a remodel on his house and has an awkward living room. Currently he has a 42" vizio, 3 Bose satellites (L/C/R), 2 cheap Panasonic rears, a Polk PSW10, and a Denon receiver sitting on an off-the-shelf media cabinet.

He's looking to upgrade to a 60-70" TV and definitely doesn't mind revamping the audio setup as long as it's within a reasonable budget (he was thinking of moving 2 of Bose's to the rears and upgrading his fronts and center).

Equipment aside, can you guys please give some ideas on speaker placement? He's open to the idea of building a custom floating cabinet underneath to soon-to-be wall mounted new TV he buys, but again...not sure where the speakers could/should go without making for a nightmare installation. I'm guessing to start off obviously with a swiveling TV mount. Oh, and he wants to avoid in-ceiling/wall speakers if at all possible.

I'll start with pics of his living room and a diagram of the entire setup...and we'll go from there! smile.gif

layout1.jpg

layout2.jpg

layout3.jpg

layout4.jpg

layout5.jpg

diagram.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-12-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm seeing two options...

1) set up L/C/R around the TV where it is, and if you really need surrounds, something small on the kitchen shelf and perhaps the faux window's sill. Sound is an outcome of other factors

2) Move the TV to the other side of the fireplace, between it and the faux windows, set-up L/C/R around the display, add surrounds on a kitchen shelf and in corner by glass door, and add front-wide speakers at the other side of the fireplace, and at the top doorway. Once calibrated, this should give a nice-sounding system with lots of envelopment. Not sure where to put the furniture as in this case, the sound is primary and furniture an outcome...

In both cases, a few 2x4' acoustic absorbers would be a worthwhile addition.

Have fun,
post #3 of 3 Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hmm, what's that red square hiding on the 4th picture? biggrin.gif

I think you should move the TV room into the dining room and vice versa. That room would work great to eat in next to the fireplace. That furniture does not work well in that room. Plus the kitchen counter could be used to serve food. Install that small TV in the picture as a zone-2 monitor on the right side of the fireplace so you can watch it as you cook.

70" seems to me to be way to big for that poor space.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page