Better to wall mount rear speakers, or hang from ceiling? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am installing rear speakers as a part of what is currently a 5.1 system (would like to do 7.1 sometime in the future). And I would appreciate some help determining what is the best position to mount the rear speakers.

The AV system is in a "Great Room" (~25ft ceiling). The TV, front and center speakers are against a floor-to-ceiling wall, what I'll call the "front" of the Great Room.

The rear of the room does not have a floor to ceiling wall however. The rear of the Great Room opens directly into the kitchen.

The kitchen has a 10ft ceiling, then above that 10ft height, it becomes the upper part of the rear wall of the Great Room.

This division (from the rear of the Great Room into the kitchen) is about 3ft behind the main seating area.

So as I see it, I have the option to mount the rear speakers in 2 ways:
1. Wall mount. Rear speakers would be about 11ft high and 3ft behind the listening position.
2. Hanging from ceiling of kitchen. So they would be lower, and could be farther back. Say, 9ft high, and 4ft (or more) behind the listening position.

What are your thoughts? Is one of these arrangements "better" than the other, acoustically speaking?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
While you might not want the speakers to be that high up, I think that aesthetically it would be much better to mount them on the wall rather than have them hanging there in the kitchen.

Also, I'd put them as far apart as possible.

post #3 of 3 Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 41
In-wall mounting is the optimum approach for speaker mounting, mitigated only by the practical need to permanently mount them. The top of this link has some excerpts from Toole showing what happens. The BSC effect is eliminated by crossover design, so 12.8B can perform like 12.8A.
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28655

The next issue becomes mounting height, as at 11', everyone's way off axis. An MTM is strongly counterindicated unless you tilt them down toward the listening area, and then the FR issues come back.

Finally, there's the question: why rear speakers? It's the least effective place to put a speaker from a perceptual standpoint, while there are effective options for front-wide and front-high locations that will be heard by the listener.

Have fun,
Frank
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page