Mixer desk speaker outputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
On my desk I have 2 xlr and 2 jack outputs all for main speakers would this allow me to have 4 main speakers running at the same time 2 on the xlr side and 2 on the jack side it's a non powered desk so will be using amps
Thought id ask before I blow something up :0)
Thanks
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
What mix desk do you have? In the pro audio world, a "mix desk" is basically JUST a mic mixer without a power amp to drive speakers. The are systems like some Mackie, etc that are a mixer and power amp all in one. With 2 xXLR outs and 2 1/4 phone outs,

It sounds more like what you have just a mixer and that will NOT drive speakers.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hii
Thanks for you reply , the desk is a 12 channel stereo mixer made by samick
I have a 1600 amp connected to the xlr main out on the desk but what I need to do is also have 1 more main speaker coming out of the desk to another amp , this single speaker would then go into the other room. Hope this makes sense?
I wasn't sure if you could use both the xlr and jack outputs all at the same time driving speakers.
Thanks
Jay
post #4 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I looked at the Samick site and the mixers. What you have is JUST a mixer. To feed another room you will need either a powered SPEAKER or another amplifier. There is NO speaker level output on the mixer. There are several options to pick up another SEND signal. You can use a MONITOR SEND, an EFFECTS SEND or an AUX SEND.

The three signals vary as to where in the audio mix chain they start . Depending on the circumstances, it may be advantageous to use a powered speaker in the remote location that can take a feed from any number of outputs and that way, someone in the remote location can adjust the volume as it may need to be a different level from the main room.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 139
unless you are going to mix your mains in mono you need to use a monitor or foldback or whatever they call it channel in mono so everything goes to the one speaker in the other room. That said chances are very good that the single ended and balanced outputs are all simulteneously active and you're not likely AFAIK to hurt anything using them both. Any more than it would hurt to use a Y cable to take each output to 2 separate amps.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Using the correct aux output is very important as some come from the pre-fade and some are post- fade as well as EQ.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-13-2012, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies
The speaker is going to be used just for one mic which is for the preacher, so let me get this right the easiest way is to
Go from effects out to a amp then to a passive speaker
Go from effects out to a active speaker
Split one of the main speaker outputs with a y cable and go to a passive or active speaker
Thanks for your help on this one :0)
Jay
post #8 of 12 Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I would NOT use the speaker out from the MAIN source for an aux speaker feed. Impedance is an issue but even more so is the volume. I would assume that the remote speaker is oin a smaller room so a small group can hear the preacher and they are not really concerned with anything else. Correct?

The easiest way is to take a monitor feed and run it to a small self powered speaker. Depending on the room size, a computer speaker system could be used. If there are multiple monitor busses on the board, assign the preacher's mike ONLY to one monitor buss. That way you can easily control the level of his mic's feed to the remote speaker.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-13-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1976 View Post

Thanks for your replies
The speaker is going to be used just for one mic which is for the preacher, so let me get this right the easiest way is to
Go from effects out to a amp then to a passive speaker
Go from effects out to a active speaker
Split one of the main speaker outputs with a y cable and go to a passive or active speaker
Thanks for your help on this one :0)
Jay
I think you are confusing two VERY different terms-and it is REAL important to get them right.

You cannot hook a passive speaker to a mixer output-UNLESS that output is a POWER AMP output.

You HAVE to have an amp inbetween the mixer and the speaker. ALthough with an active or powered speaker-the amp is built into the loudspeaker.

DO NOT hook a powered or speaker output of an amp to the input of an active loudspeaker. Unless you want very distorted sound and possibly a trip to the repair shop.

The voltages (input) required for passive and active speakers is very different. Using the wrong input to either will result in little or almost no sound-or damage.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #10 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks- yep it's going to be in a lot smaller room the problem I have is that there is only 1 monitor 1/4 jack output which is connected to a 300w amp then 4 monitors daisy chained off that
The monitors only have the musicians coming out of it but not the preacher at the request of band members
Thanks
post #11 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

The mixer is non powered on the desk it has a left and right main out which consists of 2 xlrs and 2 1/4 jacks there is then 2 cables going from the xlrs out to an amp then there is a cable going to non powered speakers
I hope this helps my apologies if I confused matters or not understanding
You guys are cool for this help
Thanks
Jay
Would it just be easier to hook up a video camera and connect to a tv? :0)
post #12 of 12 Old 09-14-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

You mentioned that you had a power amp available for the main speakers. That would be fed from the MAIN output of the mix desk via either the XLR or the 1/4 phone aux sends. Mow many separate monitor channels do you have available from the desk? Each input section will have a man fader (slider), a gain control, various EQ controls and monitor sends. Some desks have one monitor send and other can have up to eight. You would take a monitor send from ONLY the preacher's mic channel into either a self powered speaker in the remote location using shielded cable or feed a small power amplifier and run a speaker level signal to a PASSIVE remote speaker.

As far as directly connecting a video recorder to the audio channel to record the preacher, it can be done BUT you must use a level matching pad between the desk aux output and the video camera input, UNLESS the audio input on the camera is clearly marked as a LINE LEVEL input. Otherwise you will be severely overdriving the input to the video camera. Pads can be bought at Rad Shack and are red plastic barrels with various I/O connections. There is a level dropping network inside the barrel.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page