How to get my albums onto an Ipod? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-15-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I last tried connecting my turntable to receiver then using the only plug on receiver (tape mon-rec.out) rca plugs to an adapter down to 1 mini plug which I plugged into line in on sound card/MB, I also connected the extra ground between TT and receiver but still got a loud feedback? Though the music did play thru pc speakers-not great though. I also need a free pc recorder too I believe.
After just looking, maybe I should have used the tape in for my turntable? There must be an easy way to accomplish this? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-15-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Try searching for a phono preamp with a usb output.

post #3 of 5 Old 09-15-2012, 11:29 PM

I'd suggest putting them next to each other in a room alone with candlelight, and let them get to know each other first. They'll do the rest... eek.gif

J/K
The 1/8" jack on your laptop is probably expecting a microphone level input. You could either try going into the System Mixer on your laptop to try to reduce the gain on that input, or get a dedicated ADC(analog to digital converter) with a USB connection to your computer. The second will definitely be the better sounding. Some even come with their own audio recorder/editor bundled in the package. An editor will allow you to record the entire side, and cut it into the individual songs. Once cut up, you can either use it to save as MP3/AAC or save them as WAV files and let iTunes do the job of converting. Having the WAV files(uncompressed PCM audio), will let you make a standard Redbook CD disc, as well as dump them to the iPod.

Peter M

******This space for rent******
post #4 of 5 Old 09-16-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1 View Post

I last tried connecting my turntable to receiver then using the only plug on receiver (tape mon-rec.out) rca plugs to an adapter down to 1 mini plug which I plugged into line in on sound card/MB, I also connected the extra ground between TT and receiver but still got a loud feedback?

It is unlikely that you got feedback, but it is likely that you got a loud hum. The extra ground might be even causing the hum.
Quote:
Though the music did play thru pc speakers-not great though. I also need a free pc recorder too I believe.

You seem to have about 5 different questions jumbled together:

(1) Interfacing a turntable to a PC
(2) Interfacing a turntable to a receiver
(3) Interfacing a receiver to a PC
(4) Interfacing an iPod to a receiver
(5) Interfacing an iPod to a PC
Quote:
After just looking, maybe I should have used the tape in for my turntable? There must be an easy way to accomplish this? TIA!

Try breaking your situation down into individual questions. A little google searching will get you lots of good answers to any of them.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-18-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Geez, I must be brain dead? I have a new in box converter from radioshack I got a few years back, of course no directions, do I just use this between my turntable and the line in on my desktop computer? I don't think I have software though too?? TIA!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page