Speaker wire set up / recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-16-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As a long time audio enthusiast, I am now installing my Denon 4810 for a 11.1 surround sound in a new home I moved in to. Previously I have used the receiver for a 5.1. And though I am nearly finished with the install, I am questioning the wire length of one of the channels.

Though the living room I am doing this in was very difficult to get proper placement (a lot of glass windows, doors, fire place, jogs in walls, etc, .....), I did get close placements for Audyssey`s recommendations. I used 14ga / 2 conductor / CL2 wire. The longest length channel is about 50'. The rest are about 30 - 40ft. My left - front channel is very close to the receiver, 4ft. Which has me questioning if I should make this wire longer? If these new receivers have separate amps for each channel, and the processors for Audyssey self adjusts the volume levels for each channel, is there/or why is there a concern for these speaker wire`s to be the same length for resistance reasons? And, if the recommendation is that it is better for same length wire, should not all the wire of all the channels be the same? Not just the same for the fronts or surrounds or wides, etc......

Sorry if this might be a old age, answered question. I love the technology of this equipment and those that have the time to dive deep into it`s use`s and functions. Appreciate any thoughts you could help me with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-16-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 293
It is not necessary to keep all wires the same length. You can use as much or as little wire as you need.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 3 Old 09-16-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Makes sense to me. But what is the thinking that some have that the resistance of different length cables affects the amps and sound output?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page