Is it possible to play FLAC/MP3 through PC/External DAC to hi-fi AND windows sounds through PC speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

If I use an external DAC to play music files from my PC through my hi-fi system/speakers (using the USB lead out of the PC and phono leads into the amp), is it still possible to 'split' the audio to use the PC speakers for Windows sounds as well?

In other words, is there any way when I'm playing FLAC/MP3 etc files through my hi-fi speakers, to still hear e.g. the Windows Notify sound that I've got mail through my PC speakers?

If so, how?

Thanks!

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-18-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 547
You have to use a third-party player that lets you explicitly set the output device. Jriver and Foobar2000 are some examples that I recall allowing that. You then set the default sound device in Windows as your PC speakers and should then hear the system sounds through them.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
post #3 of 15 Old 09-20-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks but I thought the external DAC automatically bypasses the internal sound card. By doing this, I don't see how the sound can be re-routed through PC speakers.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-20-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The sound is not being re-routed. The external DAC only plays the music and the internal one plays the system sounds. Neither sound goes to the other. I thought this is what you wanted when you said "split" the sound.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #5 of 15 Old 09-20-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

OK thanks, I appreciate your patience.

How does the external DAC know when to play music through the hi-fi speakers and when to allow the Windows sounds to run through the PC speakers?

Are you saying the external DAC is still the slave to instructions from the PC?
post #6 of 15 Old 09-20-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You are welcome and no worries about asking more questions smile.gif.

The external DAC doesn't know, nor is aware of the solution I proposed. The mechanism I suggested makes it work. Imagine two people living in one home with two cars and each using the designated one. There is no conflict then. By the same token, when you have multiple ways to output sound from Windows, you can assign each application to each and have them work without interference. By default, all sound in Windows goes to the default sound device. You leave that be the speaker. Then, by using a third-party music player which can be told to NOT use the default, but the external DAC, your music and only your music comes out of that channel.

When you use the third-party player you have to configure it to NOT use the default windows sound device. This is easily done by configuring the program. Here is an example from Foobar2000:

setup-usb-audio-windows-xp-foobar-output-device.gif

As you see, there is a drop down where you select among your output choices. Simply select the path that is connected to your external DAC. Then configure Windows default sound to be the speaker and all of those sounds will come out of that.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #7 of 15 Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Many thanks for your help - apologies for the delay, I've been away.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-22-2012, 04:00 AM

It seems to me , Windows system do not care external or internal sound cards. It sends sound to all output devices,
Once you add a hardware, the Device Manger add the new hardware and whenever sound is to output, ALL devices will play. Unless your un-check one in Control Panel -Sound
Mine is Window 7 and All-in-one Motherboard with sound device and I use a USB external sound box , called Virtual 7.1 CH Sound box, so it will have enough and noiseless sound level for my headphones.
This is the same as Video. I normally use small VGA monitor (22") and when I watch want to ball games on the Web BT , I HDMI-plug to my LED TV and both videos are present .

amirm:
Yes, your method should work though the setting is tedious. what I had above will only output all devices and cannot redirect music only to 1 output device. But my questuin is if the stereo system is playing, can you hear or bother to hear the PC speaker giving you the email alert signal ?
post #9 of 15 Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathonzephead View Post

Hi

If I use an external DAC to play music files from my PC through my hi-fi system/speakers (using the USB lead out of the PC and phono leads into the amp), is it still possible to 'split' the audio to use the PC speakers for Windows sounds as well?

Through Windows XP you have an option to mute the Windows sounds. But, if you don't mute them, they go out the default windows sound device.

Dpending on your music player software, you may have the option to route the music to a non-default sound device.

Quote:
In other words, is there any way when I'm playing FLAC/MP3 etc files through my hi-fi speakers, to still hear e.g. the Windows Notify sound that I've got mail through my PC speakers?

That is actually the default. I'm more used to people complaining about this than wondering how to make it work! ;-)
Quote:
If so, how?

Enable the windows sounds and make sure that they are routed to the default audio output device.

Make sure that the music player is configured to route its output to the same default audio output device.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-22-2012, 01:20 PM

Liked: 13
I have a question about this thread.
Why do you need to send the music of your pc to that DAC device in the first place?

Wouldn't it be much simpler to go out of your pc's green speaker jack using just a regular 3.5mm, then split it/convert to regular white & red rca's straight to your amplifier input (adapter will set you back about 5$)
That way, any sound from your computer will be outputed to your sound system

My setup:
TV: Samsung plasma 59" pn59d550, DVR: Cisco 8642HD, HTPC: Acer Aspire E1-570,
Peachtree audio DAC-iT, Logitech Harmony 650 remote, Logitech MediaBoard Pro Bluetooth k/b
Receiver: Harman Kardon HK 3490, Speakers: Mission m34i + Mission MS10 sub, Nexus 7 2nd gen
post #11 of 15 Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleh4help View Post

Why do you need to send the music of your pc to that DAC device in the first place?
Wouldn't it be much simpler to go out of your pc's green speaker jack using just a regular 3.5mm, then split it/convert to regular white & red rca's straight to your amplifier input (adapter will set you back about 5$)
He wants the opposite of that. He doesn't want PC sounds to be blaring out of his audio system. Imagine you reboot your system late at night and all of a sudden it plays that loud start-up music. Or the bing when you have new email. You can mute those sounds but then you won't hear them at all. By doing things as he wants, you can hear the system sounds through PC speaker as usual (i.e. low volume) and music form the outboard DAC path.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #12 of 15 Old 11-22-2012, 02:42 PM

Liked: 13
XP, Vista, Seven, all have built-in mixer where you can put your musics 100% & system sounds lower.
Also, under sounds tab,you can uncheck the ones you don't care about, so OP could uncheck all systems sound and just leave email notification

You can even replace any system sound with anything you have in mind, providing it's a .wav

My setup:
TV: Samsung plasma 59" pn59d550, DVR: Cisco 8642HD, HTPC: Acer Aspire E1-570,
Peachtree audio DAC-iT, Logitech Harmony 650 remote, Logitech MediaBoard Pro Bluetooth k/b
Receiver: Harman Kardon HK 3490, Speakers: Mission m34i + Mission MS10 sub, Nexus 7 2nd gen
post #13 of 15 Old 11-22-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

XP, Vista, Seven, all have built-in mixer where you can put your musics 100% & system sounds lower.
You are taking tea to China. My team at Microsoft wrote all of that smile.gif. It is still not the same thing as OP wants to do. If your stereo is off, it would be nice to still hear your system sounds for example.
Quote:
Also, under sounds tab,you can uncheck the ones you don't care about, so OP could uncheck all systems sound and just leave email notification
As I said you can mute them but then you never hear them.

I suspect OP also has fidelity reasons for what he did.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #14 of 15 Old 11-22-2012, 04:36 PM

I wish i could do this in a more easy way for my system, i can output most music on the optical out to my AVR and let it to the DAC but end up getting the crap startled out of my when windows makes a noise, to make matters worse the mic jack and the optical out jack are one in the same and oddly when i use a usb mic and optical to an AVR i don't get audio from ventrilo, I guess it's more tweaking still
post #15 of 15 Old 11-23-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:

Computer is digital and so is its transmission of music and this is regarded as lossless as digital signals along the chain and keep the use of DAC at the end to make sound. This give good music. The green phone jack is from a DAC inside the computer which is very very seldom of good quality inside the multimedia chip. This calls for a good external DAC which connects to digital audio out (coaxial ) or HDMI port from the computer. The outputs of the external DAC is RCA and feed the Amp exactly like the RCA of CD /DVD player ( 2 or multi-channel outputs) .
Many AV amp have digital input -coaxial, TOSLink ( plus newer USB & HDMI ) . but may be not good enough..
We are going for very good sound quality Computer As Source (CAS). I join the digital concert hall by the Berlin Philharmonic. They broadcast live every local concert while I listen and watch from Hong Kong. This is an example of CAS.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat