Crafting a great Home Theater / Audio System (piece by piece, not all at once...) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As the title states, I have finally decided to piece together my first "proper" sound system. A few years ago, I went with a HTIB. It was good, but not great compared to the setups that some friends of mine have.

The important stuff (I am sure I will forget stuff, so just ask!).

-I plan on getting a receiver and 2 bookshelves (which will ultimately move to the rear when I get nice towers / center etc.)
-My friend is hooking me up with an Outlaw LFM-1 subwoofer (http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1.html)
-I currently live in an apartment, but have will end up in a townhouse in the next few years
-I typically buy the "right" thing, not just something to get by (buying the HTIB was a bad choice)
-I would say I listen to music about 30% of the time and watch TV/sports/movies/video games the other 70% of the time
-The room is an average size living room. It will have PS3 and Samsung 3d LED TV running through it.

I have been talking with some of my friends and they all think I should go with a Marantz receiver (NR1602/3 or SR5006/7). They are arguing over whether I need the power that would be had from the 5006/7 or whether the 1602/3 would be sufficient for my audio needs as detailed above.

I am terrified of blowing speakers, so if I would have an honest chance of blowing the speakers with a NR1603, then I would definitely want to go with the SR5007.

They all seem to agree that the PSB Image B5 bookshelves would be good to start with, and then those can migrate to rear speakers once I get a proper center channel and front towers.

I can't think of what else to discuss, but any insight or recommendations would be appreciated.

Forgot to add this in, but why are my friends so against other companies for my receiver. It looks like certain Onkyo models are far superior to Marantz based on the bells and whistles and the amplifying capability when comparing by price. Is there some intangible that I am not aware of with Marantz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa04 View Post

I am terrified of blowing speakers, so if I would have an honest chance of blowing the speakers with a NR1603, then I would definitely want to go with the SR5007.
If you are a sober adult with a functioning brain, and your post shows you are, then the chance of you ever damaging speakers in normal use is approaching zero. In my office I have a spare 400W/ch amp driving a pair of vintage Celestions rated at 25W, sometimes quite loud and they are still working perfectly after many years used this way.
Quote:

Forgot to add this in, but why are my friends so against other companies for my receiver. It looks like certain Onkyo models are far superior to Marantz based on the bells and whistles and the amplifying capability when comparing by price. Is there some intangible that I am not aware of with Marantz?
I can see no reason that Marantz units are qualitatively better than the Onkyos - there may be specific features one might have over another though.
Full disclosure: I own and Onkyo AVR and have nothing negative to say about it. Never owned a Marantz AVR, but have owned at least 100 Marantz components over the decades.

Can't be much help with other component choices as I design/build/modify most of my own speakers and electronics, so don't stay current on most of what's available retail. I agree with your approach in buying piece by piece to get and buying quality product to get to where you want directly. That said, second hand, especially for speakers is by far the best value path, even if you do get them as a stop gap. Research brands/model and buy them after testing in person.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-19-2012, 05:55 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

If you are a sober adult with a functioning brain, and your post shows you are, then the chance of you ever damaging speakers in normal use is approaching zero.
+1, sounds like you have a functioning brain. Oh yea, +1, you won't blow your speakers.
Quote:

I can see no reason that Marantz units are qualitatively better than the Onkyos - there may be specific features one might have over another though.
In general Onkyo offers more bang for the buck, but the bang's cost has to come from somewhere. In general, Onkyo builds somewhat lighter with lower cost materials, but it doesn't seem to hit them too hard, possibly long-term reliability, but we only know that from product that's now a few years old, and they've probably addressed the issues.
Quote:

Full disclosure: I own and Onkyo AVR and have nothing negative to say about it. Never owned a Marantz AVR, but have owned at least 100 Marantz components over the decades.
Today's Marantz ain't the same as vintage Marantz that Saul had his hands in, or the early Superscope stuff. They've tried to carry on the fine tradition, otherwise somewhat different design and assembly philosophies of necessity. If Saul Marantz built you an AVR today you'd have to take out a second mortgage, though the tubes required would heat your house nicely.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-19-2012, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16

^^^^To the above.  You are not very likely to blow your speakers, unless, you are throwing a Rave on 25w with a 4000w Amp, and even then, there is no guarantee that you would blow the speakers.

Keep in mind, future expansion.  I you get an AVR that is 60wpc  and bookshelves to match, then get floor standing speakers that are 200wpc, there will obviously be a discrepancy there.  So make sure any AVR that you get has pre-outs, for future expansion with additional Amp(s) as needed.

Plus future surround sound options, a la 5.1/6.1/7.1/9.1 etc...

post #5 of 6 Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:

As the title states, I have finally decided to piece together my first "proper" sound system. A few years ago, I went with a HTIB. It was good, but not great compared to the setups that some friends of mine have.

The weakest parts of the better HTIBs are the speakers. Sometimes just upgrading the speakers can be a great first step that gives big rewards in terms of sound quality.

What make and model HTIB do you have?
Quote:
The important stuff (I am sure I will forget stuff, so just ask!).
-I plan on getting a receiver and 2 bookshelves (which will ultimately move to the rear when I get nice towers / center etc.)
-My friend is hooking me up with an Outlaw LFM-1 subwoofer (http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1.html)

Seems like a pretty good choice. This appears to be a pretty fair comparison of similar products:

The only subwoofers that outperform it cost a ton more money. So it is at least not a bad choice.
Quote:
-I currently live in an apartment, but have will end up in a townhouse in the next few years

Whether your neighbors will give you any peace if you actually try to enjoy a subwoofer this good... Lotsa luck unless you own the building! ;-)
Quote:
I have been talking with some of my friends and they all think I should go with a Marantz receiver (NR1602/3 or SR5006/7). They are arguing over whether I need the power that would be had from the 5006/7 or whether the 1602/3 would be sufficient for my audio needs as detailed above.

They may not understand power. Power is rated in watts as a linear quantity. Our ears are sensitive to the logarithm of power. IOW it takes a lot of power for something to be even a little bit louder. It takes 10 times as much power for your system to seem twice as loud. If your receiver puts out 60 watts or 110 watts, the difference is only 3 dB which is really not all that audible. Twice as much loudness would take 500-600 watts, which one simply does not find in receivers.
Quote:

I agree with the other posts that down play the possibility of a reasonable, sober person blowing their speakers. IME most speakers get blown when people have a party and start dancing and drinking or enjoying the affect modifier of their choice. These tend to desensitize the ears.
Quote:
They all seem to agree that the PSB Image B5 bookshelves would be good to start with, and then those can migrate to rear speakers once I get a proper center channel and front towers.

For the little extra money, I would shift my sights up to the B6s. Still bookshelves, but a little more robust.

I would compare the above to my price/performance benchmark: (Infinity P162)

The PSB speakers seem to be a reasonable value offering a bit more smoothness for the extra money.
Quote:
Forgot to add this in, but why are my friends so against other companies for my receiver.

Maybe they are prejudiced. Many people recommend either what they have or what they aspire to. Receivers are a very competitive field and no single brand has the edge when it comes to price/performance.
Quote:
It looks like certain Onkyo models are far superior to Marantz based on the bells and whistles and the amplifying capability when comparing by price. Is there some intangible that I am not aware of with Marantz?

People who are looking for big sound quality advantages with unnecessarily expensive electronics don't understand how to invest money in an audio system. Sound quality in an audio sytstem is primarily in the speakers and room acoustics. The more money you can spend on the speakers the better, but the more money you spend on the speakers the more critical your system will be of the acoustical properties of the room that you listen to them in.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-22-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply to this thread. This will help me as I make my decisions.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page