Newbie Question About Connecting Speakers to Amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize in advance for having to ask such a basic question ... Newly built house with a set of in-ceiling speakers in 9 different rooms. Each set of speakers is connected to a volume control in each room via 4-conductor speaker wire. Each volume control is then run back to a central media closet via 4-conductor speaker wire. I have an Episode 12-channel 70-watts/channel digital amp (Item #EA-AMP-12D-70A). The back of the amp has six 2-channel bridge zones: Channels 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, etc. showing R+R-L-L+ for each group.

Link to amp details: http://www.snapav.com/p-1179-ea-amp-12d-70a.aspx

So, question: I want to connect all of my nine rooms to this amp. How do I do that when each room has four wires and only four outputs for each zone on the amp? Do I take the wires coming from two different rooms and connect them together? For instance, White (L+) wire from Room #1 and Room #2 and connect them together and into the L+ output for the Channels 1/2 zone, and then do this respectively for each of the other wires? I have pulled one of my volume controls out of the wall and have confirmed that all four wires are connected and being used to run to the speakers, and I know each speaker has one + and one - terminal. So, I am assuming I need to somehow connect all four wires to the amp in order to get each speaker in each speaker set to work.

The speaker and volume controls were installed by a licensed A/V expert during construction of the house, not me. Thank you in advance. Trying to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-27-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
You have a couple options.
Best Option: Buy a second Amp and drive each room separately.
2nd Option:
Assuming your speakers are 8 ohm speakers you can double up a few of the rooms since the amplifier will handle 4 ohm loads. Connecting 2 rooms together will drop the effective speaker impedance for the system to 4 ohms from 8 ohms. If however your speakers are 4 ohm speakers (unlikely) then you cannot double them up since that would drop the impedance to 2 ohms and you could wind up with distortion.
In terms of connections, the "professional installer" should have used the same color wires for each room. So match up the colors on the two rooms you are doubling. You should be able to determine which wire is the Plus for each speaker and which is minus. Connect them accordingly. Since each room has its own volume control you should be able to balance the sound in each room. Try it with 2 less critical rooms first and see how it works. Then connect the other rooms reserving the undoubled channels for the primary rooms.
bpbenda likes this.

"So many tweeks....So little time!"
post #3 of 3 Old 09-28-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you for the detailed response. Yes, they are 8ohm 110W RMS speakers.

Option 1, while ideal, is also the most expensive and not something that I am willing to invest additional money into at this time.

Option 2 is what I ended up doing. I connected the L+ (white) and R+ (red) together and the L- (green) and R- (black) together. I contacted the manufacturer of the amp, and they recommended doing it this way. I then connected each room (W/R and G/B) on a single channel (L+L- or R+R-), bridging none. Since the amp is 12-channels, I have three spare channels. I tried to pair rooms into separate zones as best I could based on their relative location, size, furnishing, and flooring type, for proper gain setting. I then set the volume control in each room to max, adjusted the gain on each zone of the amp to where the volume was at max listening comfort, and then dialed the volume control in each room back 25%.

Everything sounds great, and the house is rocking! Thank you! By the way, Sonos is awesome!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page