Down firing subwoofer hitting carpet and making 'pop' sound; solution? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

My setup is in my basement finished with carpet over cement. My subwoofer at times hits the floor; if I use a flashlight I can see it hit, then it makes a popping sound. It is mostly during movies with DTS HD MSTR and DolbyTrueHD etc. I was thinking about raising it off the floor but cannot find much of anything that would support the sub and keep it from slide around. Maybe putting it on a flat surface like a granite block or maple wood. I found these: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AS18X15-CL but they are a little out of my price range. These supports I don't think would be safe to put the sub on: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ISOBLOCK1-ST.

Anyone have any ideas on what could work well and are affordable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcalderon View Post

Go to hardware store. Find some hardwood blocks. Place under sub feet to raise it off the floor so the driver doesn't hit the floor. Spend the money you would have wasted buying overpriced mapleshade rubbish on beer.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Quote:

Go to hardware store. Find some hardwood blocks. Place under sub feet to raise it off the floor so the driver doesn't hit the floor. Spend the money you would have wasted buying overpriced mapleshade rubbish on beer.

or (4) of these biggrin.gif since they are on strike might find a good discount eek.gif
post #4 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Quote:

Quote:

or (4) of these biggrin.gif since they are on strike might find a good discount eek.gif

+1 smile.gif

Are you sure you have your sub's original feet in place? Nothing should hit the floor...what sub is it?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #5 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Pucking good idea. I'd buy some myself, but then I get the overwhelming desire to body check someone and / or whack them with a big stick.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

+1 smile.gif
Are you sure you have your sub's original feet in place? Nothing should hit the floor...what sub is it?

Yeah the feet came assembled. It sinks into the carpet 1/4" to 1/2" (pretty far). It is this sub: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065CSSB10B/Boston-Acoustics-CS-Sub10-Black.html?tp=187 ; I have the whole classic series set.

I should probably buy a better subwoofer. But that's not going to happen right now, wallet is a little light nowadays.

The hockey puck seems like it could work. I would like to use something a can drill an indention the size of the sub feet so it can't slide around.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

The hockey puck seems like it could work. I would like to use something a can drill an indention the size of the sub feet so it can't slide around.

What exactly are you doing with your subwoofer that makes you so worried it'll slide off the hockey pucks? This is very much a set it and forget it type of thing.

Or you could just flip the subwoofer upside down.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

+1 smile.gif

Yeah the feet came assembled. It sinks into the carpet 1/4" to 1/2" (pretty far). It is this sub: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065CSSB10B/Boston-Acoustics-CS-Sub10-Black.html?tp=187 ; I have the whole classic series set.

I should probably buy a better subwoofer. But that's not going to happen right now, wallet is a little light nowadays.

Maybe something like this http://www.amazon.com/Caster-Cup-brown-Rubber-Set/dp/B000XXQULC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349292434&sr=8-1&keywords=furniture+coasters

You're not overextending that sub, are you? smile.gif

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #9 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

TJC have you tried unscrewing the existing feet? If they do unscrew, it might be a case or replacing them with generic wooden furniture feet from the harware that might screw into the existing hole.
Quote:

You're not overextending that sub, are you? smile.gif
Looking at what it is now, I agree. My gut is high amplitude signals below tuning causing over excursion.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Oh man...

I see what your getting at. How would I know? Or what do you do?

I have a quality sub cable going to the subwoofer from my Onkyo TX-NR808. I believe it is set at 20Hz frequency response? That is what the Audyssey mic calibration set it to. It would probably be at about 76% volume when it happens and I always frown and turn it down right away.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh man...

I see what your getting at. How would I know? Or what do you do?

I have a quality sub cable going to the subwoofer from my Onkyo TX-NR808. I believe it is set at 20Hz frequency response? That is what the Audyssey mic calibration set it to. It would probably be at about 76% volume when it happens and I always frown and turn it down right away.

Sounds like the volume on your sub is set too high, I'd scale it back to no more than 50%, maybe even 33%. Are you using the LFE line input on the sub? You should in any case. While the LFE input usually bypasses the sub's crossover setting, just to be sure turn the sub's crossover setting to max.

Not sure what you mean it's set at 20hz, do you mean you have your speakers crossed over at 20? Or the LPF of your LFE? I'd use 80 or 100 hz for speaker crossover in most cases (what are your mains?), and 120 for the LPF of the LFE channel.

post #12 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sounds like the volume on your sub is set too high, I'd scale it back to no more than 50%, maybe even 33%. Are you using the LFE line input on the sub? You should in any case. While the LFE input usually bypasses the sub's crossover setting, just to be sure turn the sub's crossover setting to max.
Not sure what you mean it's set at 20hz, do you mean you have your speakers crossed over at 20? Or the LPF of your LFE? I'd use 80 or 100 hz for speaker crossover in most cases (what are your mains?), and 120 for the LPF of the LFE channel.

Oh yeah, know all about the LFE and crossover control and that is set correctly. And I meant the crossover of the LFE is set to 120Hz. My mains are these Boston speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065CS226B/Boston-Acoustics-CS-226-Black.html?tp=185. I just noticed they are rated as an 8ohm speaker while the calibration recognized it as a 6ohm and that is what the impedance is set to now. The front crossover is set to 40Hz again by Audyssey .
post #13 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Oh yeah, know all about the LFE and crossover control and that is set correctly. And I meant the crossover of the LFE is set to 120Hz. My mains are these Boston speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065CS226B/Boston-Acoustics-CS-226-Black.html?tp=185. I just noticed they are rated as an 8ohm speaker while the calibration recognized it as a 6ohm and that is what the impedance is set to now. The front crossover is set to 40Hz again by Audyssey .

Audyssey didn't set the crossover to 40, your AVR did. I'd change it to at least 60 if not 80. When setting up your sub did you really have to turn it up to 3/4 to get the 75db test tone? Or did you just prefer running the sub hot? Have you tried flipping the phase to see what's giving you better bass?

post #14 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Audyssey didn't set the crossover to 40, your AVR did. I'd change it to at least 60 if not 80. When setting up your sub did you really have to turn it up to 3/4 to get the 75db test tone? Or did you just prefer running the sub hot? Have you tried flipping the phase to see what's giving you better bass?

My AVR did? Will they sound significantly different, what kind of changes do you think I will hear by changing it from 40 to 60 or 80? 60hz or 80hz? Because my rear bookshelf speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065CS26B/Boston-Acoustics-CS-26-Black.html?tp=186, and my center channel: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065CS225CB/Boston-Acoustics-CS-225C-Black.html?tp=189 and the fronts are all set to 40hz. That is just what it was changed to after the mic cali.

And no, 75db was found just under 50% and I didn't really know I was running the subwoofer hot. I wished I would have bought two now...

I can't hear a significant difference when changing the phase. Most of my listening is quite, but when I watch a movie and I want it loud, I'll go and turn the sub up, but now I will keep it below 50% max volume like you say.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

My AVR did? Will they sound significantly different, what kind of changes do you think I will hear by changing it from 40 to 60 or 80? 60hz or 80hz? Because my rear bookshelf speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065CS26B/Boston-Acoustics-CS-26-Black.html?tp=186, and my center channel: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065CS225CB/Boston-Acoustics-CS-225C-Black.html?tp=189 and the fronts are all set to 40hz. That is just what it was changed to after the mic cali.

And no, 75db was found just under 50% and I didn't really know I was running the subwoofer hot. I wished I would have bought two now...

I can't hear a significant difference when changing the phase. Most of my listening is quite, but when I watch a movie and I want it loud, I'll go and turn the sub up, but now I will keep it below 50% max volume like you say.

For the AVR vs Audyssey, try the source https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/108049-crossover-frequency

post #16 of 18 Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Shouldn't an off the shelf, powered, ported sub like his have a HPF built in to avoid over-excursion below the tuning frequency? It sounds to me like this is a simple case of the subwoofer feet sinking too far into the carpet. Get them back up above the carpet, and go on your merry way.

I do agree though that you should probably raise the crossover frequencies from where your receiver set them. Otherwise there's nothing else you should need to change. Audyssey should have handled the phase setting of your subwoofer, so it should be fine wherever it was. The gain knob on the subwoofer can be anywhere, as long as you don't mess with it after running audyssey. The only potential issue is if audyssey maxes out the level adjustment for the subwoofer. If it shows you that it set a level between -5 and +5, it's fine.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-04-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

Shouldn't an off the shelf, powered, ported sub like his have a HPF built in to avoid over-excursion below the tuning frequency?
Yes, but typically they don't.
post #18 of 18 Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Yes, but typically they don't.
Huh. Good to know.

I'd still try just getting those feet out of the carpet first and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't and you're still getting noise, then you can probably conclude that it's over-excursion. At that point you can decide whether you would rather start fixing their design or buying a better subwoofer.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat