Educate me on FLAC streaming.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently stream Apple Lossless files via iTunes on PC to an Apple Airport Express to my Receiver.

I would prefer to stream FLAC files on my PC to my Receiver.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It depends. If your receiver can act as a DLNA renderer, that would work. Otherwise, you could use Sonos, Squeezebox, or other hardware. You could also hook up the PC directly to the receiver.
I can stream to my Oppo 93 using DLNA, also have a Squeezebox touch, which is a much better interface.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I have an Onkyo TX-NR807

The manual says this:

The AV receiver can play digital music files stored on a computer or media server and supports the
following technologies:
• Windows Media Player 11
• Windows Media Connect 2.0
• DLNA-certified media server
If the operating system of your computer is Windows Vista, Windows Media Player 11 is already
installed. Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP can be downloaded for free from the Microsoft Web
site.
• The computer or media server must be on the same network as the AV receiver.
• Each folder may contain up to 2000 music files, and
folders may be nested up to 10 levels deep.

Does this mean it can do it? If so, does it stream via ethernet or wireless? How do I connect it? They are both already on the same network.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Run a DLNA server on your computer, there were some suggestions on one of the other threads you started. I use Mac, so I can't help you. Your receiver should be able to see those files once that's done.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Run a DLNA server on your computer, there were some suggestions on one of the other threads you started. I use Mac, so I can't help you. Your receiver should be able to see those files once that's done.

Did that. Can I use WMP to "push" the music to the AVR? Or is my only option to use the AVR to "pull" music from WMP?
post #6 of 13 Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadratx View Post

Did that. Can I use WMP to "push" the music to the AVR? Or is my only option to use the AVR to "pull" music from WMP?
"Pull" only. To push, you'd have to hook the computer directly to the AVR.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I currently stream Apple Lossless files via iTunes on PC to an Apple Airport Express to my Receiver.
I would prefer to stream FLAC files on my PC to my Receiver.
Does anyone know how this can be done?
Thanks!

Why do you want to run FLAC instead Apple Lossless?
post #8 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Hi.

I'd like to mention that some DLNA servers do allow you to "push" contents to a DLNA-compatible device. The device has to be a DMR (digital media renderer) and if it is, then music (or other files in case of other devices) can be pushed to it. I am an author of one such server, so small self-promotion follows smile.gif It's a new server, thus is not well-known yet - it's called KooRaRoo Media and it's available from http://www.kooraroo.com. Being a developer and having lots of experience working with DLNA devices, I am happy to provide support or discuss any aspect of it.

Thanks!

Dennis. Developer of KooRaRoo Media - the newest DLNA server on the market. Give it a try today by visiting http://www.kooraroo.com. Happy to assist with questions related to DLNA in general or KooRaRoo specifically.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Why do you want to run FLAC instead Apple Lossless?

I want to get away from Apple.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 PM

Maybe I'm missing something in all this but we stream FLAC music from our computer to an AVR in another room all the time using a neato product called Aperion Zona Home Audio Link System:

http://www.aperionaudio.com/things-you-need/wireless-accessories

I plug one "hockey puck" device into the USB on my computer and the other into the USB on my AVR and VOILA! Using Foobar2000 I stream anything I want from our bedroom computer to our living room HT/5.1 system.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batuche View Post

I plug one "hockey puck" device into the USB on my computer and the other into the USB on my AVR and VOILA! Using Foobar2000 I stream anything I want from our bedroom computer to our living room HT/5.1 system.
Yes, that's one way to do this, but it costs more than a software solution (e.g. KooRaRoo) and if you get another device you need to buy another puck and so on. Plus you don't get the additional benefits (if you need them) such as parental controls, transcoding of incompatible files and so on. And of course it's for audio only smile.gif

Dennis. Developer of KooRaRoo Media - the newest DLNA server on the market. Give it a try today by visiting http://www.kooraroo.com. Happy to assist with questions related to DLNA in general or KooRaRoo specifically.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 AM

Thank you dvlpr. Obviously I’m not an audio whiz kid and only recently became re-involved in audio with the updating of our 1970’s stereo system. I accidentally discovered the Aperion Zona when reading the letters section of Maximum PC magazine where I was trying to learn/keep up on computer technology. I was very happy to learn about it and now equally as happy to use it. I honestly had no idea that a software solution existed.

I don’t know anyone with any audio savvy at all so other than a chance picking up a magazine on the subject where could I have best found out about KooRaRoo? Now I’m anxious to Google KooRaRoo and try to learn how it works.

I have only recently ripped our entire CD collection to FLAC (something else I learned about from hanging out on AVS I think) and use Foobar2000 (which I’m also still learning about). Audio used to be a lot simpler!

Thanks again for your post.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-29-2012, 02:53 PM

KooRaRoo is very new software (only 3 months since it was initially released), but there is a lot of experience behind it. I have developed for and worked with DLNA devices for a few years before creating KRR. The best way to find out about it is to download a fully-functional 30-day trial from http://www.kooraroo.com and seeing how it works. If you have any questions/suggestions/feedback - I'm always happy to discuss and listen!

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page