LEt me try here! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Asked the same question elsewhere, with no luck. So here goes. What I have and keeping, Fosgate model three processor, Fosgate 4125 4 channel amp, Numark EQ2600, Sony cdp -ce225, Klipsch Heritage, Fronts and center, Warferdale sapphire 88's rear, onkyo sides, AR 115PSB,Onkyo skw-r530 sub, Pioneer PDP 5071 Plasma and PS3. Im looking to buy either another 3or 4 channel amp or a AVR Receiver. IF the receiver is the way to go it should have Pre-outs,and room correction. I know my equipment is older,But new to me. MUSIC. CD and streaming. TV surround sound or something close.I need compleation. Thoughts and advice is needed. Looking to buy used. The Onkyo stuff will eventually get swapped out, Along with the CD player and maybe the Numark.

Fosgate 4125 power amp. B&K AV 6000, Fosgate Model Three processor. Fronts- Klipsch Hersey1 and Klipsch KLF-C7 center, Sides onkyo? Rears warfedale' Sapphire 88. Numark 2600 eq. Pioneer PDP- 50 inch, PS3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 06:21 AM

Liked: 24
What is your ultimate goal in your upgrade? Improved features? Sound quality? Reliability?
post #3 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by has7738 View Post

What is your ultimate goal in your upgrade? Improved features? Sound quality? Reliability?
IS asking for all of the above asking to much?? Lol

Fosgate 4125 power amp. B&K AV 6000, Fosgate Model Three processor. Fronts- Klipsch Hersey1 and Klipsch KLF-C7 center, Sides onkyo? Rears warfedale' Sapphire 88. Numark 2600 eq. Pioneer PDP- 50 inch, PS3.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-06-2012, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Audio theory,set up and chat???????????????????? What gives? eek.gif

post #5 of 9 Old 10-06-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
If it were me I would spend my money else where. #1 I would upgrade to a better sub, it will be well worth the money. Look at internet direct companies. Also you can upgrade the Onkyo surrounds and have all 4 surrounds be the same. I don't run amps with my setup so not sure about that. I just run an Onkyo 808, 7.2 AVR with 135 watts/ channel with 2 channels driven.

If you provide more info like room size and open or sealed room, and your budget ppl could help out better.

Shawn
post #6 of 9 Old 10-06-2012, 07:07 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by somenut1 View Post

IS asking for all of the above asking to much?? Lol
Well, no, not really, but you can add tons of features and gain no sonic improvement by adding a new entry level AVR. You can gain sonic improvement and not gain one single feature by replacing speakers. And so on. They are not always mutually exclusive, but the next element is tied to the entire goal exercise very closely: budget?

Sonic improvement: Any AVR with Audyssey XT 32, and get an Audyssey Pro installed to calibrate it for you. This will also free up the Fosgate amp and processor which you won't need. There is no need for stand alone power amps, and some very good reasons not to use them. For example, using the pre-amp outputs often eliminates several Audyssey features because the total system gain is no longer under control. Modern AVRs in the mid to upper price range offer performance that rivals stand alone amps. You'll hear no improvement by using the amps, though they technically will test better. (lots more to know here, been covered elsewhere)

Sonic improvement: subs. Not as big an improvement as the above.

Sonic improvement: surround speakers. Side surrounds should be dipole/tripole, rears can be direct. It would be nice to have all surrounds tambre matched, and even nicer if they were tambre matched to the LCR, but to do that you'll change all your speakers.

Features: Get an Oppo BDP-103 when it becomes available. It will eliminate your need for a CD player, a DVD player, and whatever that Numark thing does. You'll love the high-res audio capabilities of the Oppo, and it does about as well as is possible on 30-year-old formats like CDs.

Go to the link and read up:
http://www.oppodigital.com

Reliability: just replacing old stuff will do that, but only if the new stuff is good. Avoid entry level AVRs from all manufacturers. I prefer the build quality on the Denon line, but have recently been impressed by Pioneer, though they lack Audyssey.

I've just outlined solutions to all your goals except the unknown budget. From others of your posts, I think you're fairly low on that one, but don't recall the figures. As I posted before, you can up the budget by selling off your old gear. If you're looking only to buy used, it's really hard to make a specific recommendation. But you could find your best deal and ask about it here. An AVR can be a 10 year life item, speakers, if done right the first time, can be a 20 year investment. Disc players 5 years, any kind of display device, 5 years (because the technology changes so fast). Buying used places you pretty far into all those timelines already. There's some wisdom in getting one new piece like the AVR and funding it with divesting old stuff. Then, as budget allows, move to the next piece. I'd have a hard time buying a 5 year old AVR because the new stuff, even at the same price as the used piece (which means a more entry-level device), is better in many aspects. Don't buy used, cheap junk, it's not worth it. If you must buy used, go for the highest-end stuff you can find, it at least retains its value longer, though the feature-set will be the weak spot.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-06-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Has7738

Thanks for the detailed info, But like I said I perfer to keep the Fosgates. With my current hook up it sounds great, However Im presently running everything thru my Onkyo HTIB receiver thru the multi channel function. So volume control is a pain in the Butt, and at higer volumes it will shut down. My budget is not unlimited but I dont mind spending (thank -you wife). So it seems I should go with a 3 or 4 channel amp. And use the Model three for volume control And the EQ for tone and gain. My understanding is that your fronts should be tambre, which they are. Heresey Heritage. I have a line on some klipsch sides also. I was thinking of buying a Rotel RB-956ax. to power my fronts and the 4125 for the sides and rears. My listining area is 13x21. Center stairway blocks about 6 feet to the next 13x18 room. so sounds travel quite a bit, I agree with you on life span on newer stuff, which is why I choose to stay with older gear. I was just looking for advice to add on to what I have. Keep it comming!

post #8 of 9 Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 PM

Liked: 18
It sounds to me that moving to a processor and amp system is where you would be happiest. Get the amps you like and want to keep long term and then change out the AV processor as the technology evolves. The current crop of AV processors will all have advanced Audessey technology (or similar) on board and will hold you over until the next great thing in AV format is decided.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-06-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoledude View Post

It sounds to me that moving to a processor and amp system is where you would be happiest. Get the amps you like and want to keep long term and then change out the AV processor as the technology evolves. The current crop of AV processors will all have advanced Audessey technology (or similar) on board and will hold you over until the next great thing in AV format is decided.

Thanks old dude, Thats my thought also, And thanks for the info on the newer processor, was not sure if they had Audio technology, So maybe I will up grade there, As far as new to me.biggrin.gif

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page