3 speaker + sub setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-09-2012, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all - good evening! I was hoping someone could maybe guide me in the proper direction....please! Im a total idiot with this stuff i admit haa.

I have never built a system before and the last sony soundbar/sub system i bought sucks!

Do any of you have suggestions for two standing speakers, a sub, a reciever (i have idea where to start with this in particular) and a center speaker? I dont care about brand. Im a novice so incremental gains in sound quality prob would be lost on me. Main thing i would like is it to be loud (treble?) And the base (the boom!) . The sony soundbar/sub has no balls - excuse my french.

Any and all help will be greatly greatly appreciated! And my wife would like to thank u for helping me not screw this up again haha.

Much appreciated and take care!

Go Carolina!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry folks! Wifey just pointed out I didnt put a budget.....the most we can spend is $400-500. Our living room os fairly average(25x20?), wood floors.

Thanks again!!!
post #3 of 14 Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Tight budget......

Check out the refurbished denon 1713 avr http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1713/DENON-AVR-1713-5.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-Ready/1.html.

Perhaps a pair of polk monitor 60's or 70's from newegg.com to start with then add sub and center later as budget allows. The monitor 60's can be had for around $150 per speaker, the 70s about $180 per speaker. The matching center would be the CS2 and can be had for around $120.

Polk psw505 and bic f12 are both decent entry level subs and can be found for around $200 (newegg for the 505 and amazon for the bic)..

This would give you a very nice step up over what you got, though over your $500 budget. Just there isn't much out there for under your budget when you need everything....just buy smart and get one piece at a time.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #4 of 14 Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Tight budget......
Check out the refurbished denon 1713 avr http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1713/DENON-AVR-1713-5.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-Ready/1.html.
Perhaps a pair of polk monitor 60's or 70's from newegg.com to start with then add sub and center later as budget allows. The monitor 60's can be had for around $150 per speaker, the 70s about $180 per speaker. The matching center would be the CS2 and can be had for around $120.
Polk psw505 and bic f12 are both decent entry level subs and can be found for around $200 (newegg for the 505 and amazon for the bic)..
This would give you a very nice step up over what you got, though over your $500 budget. Just there isn't much out there for under your budget when you need everything....just buy smart and get one piece at a time.

Thank you very much for the reply! That was awesome of you. So having just the two front speakers wouldnt mean i would "lose" sound right? I mean, my biggest fear is buying speakers and then not hearing certain sounds or whatever. I hope that makes sense?

Oh, and I have NO problem buying refurbished if you think going that route will get us a bigger bang for our buck.

Many many thank yous!

Regards!
post #5 of 14 Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had a similar question but mine is about what settings on the reveiver to use for a 2 fronts, 1center +sub setup.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Haaa well i guess i will eventually need to know that also. If anyone is out these to help, that would be awesome.

On a side note, what speakers/receiver/sub do you have? A gentleman who posted earlier suggested the polk speakers.....from what i read they are awesome.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviSunPatel View Post

Sorry folks! Wifey just pointed out I didnt put a budget.....the most we can spend is $400-500. Our living room os fairly average(25x20?), wood floors.
Thanks again!!!
By way of calibration, that size room (4000 cu ft assuming 8' ceilings) will nicely accomodate 2-4 subwoofers costing $500 each...

http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/system-buying-guides
Take a look at this link. There's not an obvious choice as the cheapest is $750, but they all include a BD player, and are all 5.1, so perhaps you can work the budget side of it (buy less or spend more). Keep in mind, these are soup-to-nuts systems that include power conditioners, speaker wire and HDMI cables. HTIB without the box.

BTW, you don't lose sound, you get a different mix of it. Most multichannel program can be mixed to 2 channels, but without the spatial information. Think in terms of CD vs. SACD, the latter containing boht teh 2-channel CD mix as well as a 5.1 version. The only way you lose sound is if you run 5.1 on your AVR, but don't have surround speakers. Most AVRs can accomodate 3.1 or 2.1, and will mix anything you might miss back into one of the speakers, just as they can synthesize additional channels (through 13.2 or more).

HAve fun,
Frank
post #8 of 14 Old 10-13-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much Frank for your feedback!

We actually ended up buying a pair of used polk 70's and will be picking up a used CS2 center speaker Tuesday.

Going to hold off on a sub for now..a few weeks or so.

We now need a receiver! We are trying to stick to around $250-$350....I say $350 cause We could possibly find it on Craigslist and haggle down the price. Trying to stay 250-300. That denon looks pretty solid(Thanks!) but figured maybe if anyone has any another suggestions.

Definitely no audiophiles here. We basically watch movies/tv and some music. Prob will never go to a 7.1 setup so a 5.1 is totally cool.

Thank you guys so much!

Appreciated!
post #9 of 14 Old 10-13-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Sounds like you are well on your way with the speakers! That refurb Denon 1713 is an awesome AVR for $300. Lots of great features, but one of the most important for you is that it has Audyssey MultEQ XT. Not only will it do a good job of calibrating your room with your 3 speaker setup, as you add a sub (or two) and surround speakers, you just rerun Audyssey setup as often as need be to get the most out of each addition.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-13-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks PossumGirl! Two votes for the Denon, awesome. Think I will pull the trigger tomorrow after a bit more scouring of the web. I def will post with my experience with the gear when it I get it all together! From the perspective of a very novice user.

By the way, I prob will not be getting rear speakers unless I find an awesome deal on wireless floor ones.

Everyone on this forum has been so incredibly nice....Jason, you advice has been incredibly helpful. You guys kick ass!

If there is anything specific anyone has a question on that I can help with, please let me know.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-14-2012, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and placed the order. Can't wait!

But now....I just found out the CS2 is too 'tall'.....I was planning on placing it in front of the tv which sits on a mantle but if I it will block part of the tv screen on the bottom. I have space behind it but that would ruin the sound right? Any advice on a 'slim' center speaker? My wife won't let me mount if above the tv.

Please help!

Many thank you's in advance!
post #12 of 14 Old 10-14-2012, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:

I went ahead and placed the order. Can't wait!

But now....I just found out the CS2 is too 'tall'.....I was planning on placing it in front of the tv which sits on a mantle but if I it will block part of the tv screen on the bottom. I have space behind it but that would ruin the sound right? Any advice on a 'slim' center speaker? My wife won't let me mount if above the tv.

Please help!

Many thank you's in advance!

Do whatever you can to make it fit!!

Your other options is to get the CS1, slightly smaller, but not as good a match to the polk towers as I explained in my pm's with you. You could run another monitor 70 for your center (which would actually be pretty awesome if you have the space), or you could go with another model/brand of center, but you wont be timber matched, which in my opinion is pretty important for a seemless soundstage. My CS2 was too big when I bought it, but I made it work by modifying my stand and gear layout.

glad to hear you got the denon, excellent receiver!

edit: thought of another option, run without a center channel.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #13 of 14 Old 10-14-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 1122
Quote:

Thanks again!!!

Forget it. Save your money when you have enough to play a more serious game. :-(
post #14 of 14 Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Forget it. Save your money when you have enough to play a more serious game. :-(
+1 - budget needs to be bumped up.

You can apply the 80-20 rule (the Pareto principle). You can have 80% of the benefit/value for the first 20% of the cost, the last 20% of the value is expensive. But for that to work, you have to set the target high enough. The initial budget won't get you even 20% of the way to "good sound". You'll end up throwing everything out in the first upgrade. Put at least $1500 - 2000 in there, and you can then start applying the 80-20 rule. 60-75% should be speakers, the balance in receiver.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page