Amazon Prime Video audio issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

- Yamaha receiver, Sony Bravia TV, Oppo DVD player, TiVo Premier and an Apple Airport Extreme ...

- Watch TV via HDMI2 on the receiver ... HDMI1 is DVD ... stream Spotify from laptop via AV1.

I am hooked on the West Wing these days and instead of watching it on my laptop via Amazon Prime I realized I could access via the app on the Sony Bravia.

Login via the app, and when the built-in player begins the receiver kicks over to AV1 and goes to mute. I get the video fine on the TV but have to switch to the built-in speakers of the Bravia. If I switch the receiver off of AV1 I lose the video on the TV and the app seems to reset.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 292
When you play the content via the TV app, the sound will now be coming out of the TV. The way you have things setup without that has the AVR sending the video to the TV from its inputs, and separating and consuming/playing the audio itself. In your new scenario, you have to find a way to get the sound from TV back to AVR. There is an Audio Return Channel feature for this but both your TV and AVR need to support it. Without it, the AVR notices there is no input and goes to mute and likely finds one input to default on which is your analog AV1.

What I can't figure out is why the TV stops playing when the AVR does that. Maybe ARC is on and somehow is not working right.

Turn off and disconnect the AVR altogether and see if the picture and sound work then just coming out of the TV. If it does not, then it is an easy call to Sony to see what is up (be sure to do the obligatory firmware update if there is one). If this works search around for ARC settings and play with them to figure out more clues. Even in this case you can call Sony for help. They will likely blame this on the Yamaha AVR smile.gif. But be insistent that the TV is doing something wrong and it is the upstream, source device in your scenario.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #3 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
As Amirm noted, ARC requires both the TV and AVR to support it. If by chance one or both of your devices doesn't have ARC, you'll need to connect digital from the TV to the assigned digital input on the AVR.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-14-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the suggestions.

Updated firmware on the TV, DVD player and receiver today but nothing.

Next call is to Sony I guess.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-16-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach View Post

Hi everyone,
- Yamaha receiver, Sony Bravia TV, Oppo DVD player, TiVo Premier and an Apple Airport Extreme ...
- Watch TV via HDMI2 on the receiver ... HDMI1 is DVD ... stream Spotify from laptop via AV1.
I am hooked on the West Wing these days and instead of watching it on my laptop via Amazon Prime I realized I could access via the app on the Sony Bravia.
Login via the app, and when the built-in player begins the receiver kicks over to AV1

Makes perfect sense, and no amount of calls to Sony are going to fix this. Amir nailed it. To repeat his sage words:

"When you play the content via the TV app, the sound will now be coming out of the TV."

Possumgirl put a bow on it when she said:

"ARC requires both the TV and AVR to support it. If by chance one or both of your devices doesn't have ARC, you'll need to connect digital from the TV to the assigned digital input on the AVR"

.Without model numbers or telepathy, we'll never know whether the AVR or the TV or both or neither support ARC. Yamaha and Sony Bravia covers maybe over 100 pieces of equipment with various capabilities. Most don't support the latest-greatest like ARC.

If the TV and receiver support ARC you also need a HDMI cable that supports it, because not all cables do.

Our best guess is that nothing supports ARC. so, if you want the sound to come out of the Yamaha receiver from a web program running on the TV, it needs some kind of an audio output from the TV. If I read your comments correctly, there is no such thing. Checkmate!

So, what are your options for adding a connection from a sound output on the TV back to your AVR?

If you had provided more info I could read the manuals for you, but what would be in it for me or you if I did that? It is your stuff. BTW if you tossed the manuals, they are most likely on the web.
Quote:
If I switch the receiver off of AV1 I lose the video on the TV and the app seems to reset.

I don't know why changing anything on the the receiver would affect the TV, but perhaps the TV has some kind of input sensing.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page