Why isn't my receiver (Denon AVR-3312CI) automatically detecting audio signal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic 65" VT30 and I am using a Denon AVR-3312CI and Direct TV HD DVR. I have the Direct TV DVR connected to the Denon with an Audio Quest HDMI cable and then I have the Denon running to the tv with an Audio Quest Coffee HDMI cable. The issue I have is the previous Denon receiver I had had Digital Optical inputs and so I used to run the Audio from the Direct TV DVR to the receiver with a Digital Optical which made the receiver automatically switch itself to the right audio settings based on the signal. My new denon has no Optical inputs, only 2 outputs, so I am running everything through my HDMI cables and I notice that the audio no longer switches, so I have to do it myself. Does anyone know what I need to do to get this to work through the HDMI? I have a 5.1 system installed with a subwoofer. As a side note, when I use my PS3 to play blue rays or games, the audio switches on it's own correctly and I have it connected the same exact way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-14-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Go the HDMI menu on your AVR and make sure the audio input is also selected as HDMI. Sometimes it comes defaulting to some other digital or analog input.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #3 of 7 Old 10-14-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I don't understand what you mean when you say your AVR doesn't switch to the correct format and that you have to do it yourself. A satellite DVR will only output DD 5.1 or stereo PCM. If the DVR is sending PCM, you can't change it to DD 5.1 with a setting on your AVR. And, if it is sending DD 5.1, then the AVR will use correct decoder as long as the input is set to Auto, which is the default.

Sometimes the HDMI handshake with the TV will force the DVR to send stereo PCM instead of DD 5.1. Setting the HDMI audio output to AMP instead of AMP + TV will fix that problem.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
I could be wrong, but I think the OP may be talking about HDMI-CTL. The Panny TV, PS3 & AVR all support CEC so the Denon switches to the correct input when the PS3 is turned on. Sat receivers don't support CEC, so he has to manually select that input. At least that's how I read it.

Don't understand the comment that the Denon doesn't have digital optical inputs. According to the specs for that model it has two. It does not have optical outputs.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
It would appear we need more information from the OP about the nature of the problem and about how he has the equipment set up.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

post #6 of 7 Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

I apologize, I read the Optical jacks on the back of the DVR unit wrong, they are inputs, not outputs. What I was inquiring about was the receiver being able to detect the audio signal it is receiving and change the Surround Sound mode based on that. My older Denon used to do this when I was using a Digital Fiber Optic cable for the audio. I could visually see that the surround mode had changed based on the type of signal it was receiving from the source.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Dangit, I mean the Optical jacks on the back of the AVR, not DVR...
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page