First Time Set Up Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-19-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first home and I would like to set up a "home theater" in the basement. I think I know what TV I am going to buy but I don't know enough about audio to make a decision. I've talked to some friends and they made recommendations as well as sending me here.

I would like to set up two Def Tech 8060 BP towers with the respective Def Tech 8060 center channel. I understand they have built in subs so that I don't have to purchase a sub seperately.

My two biggest questions are this: Will I miss out on a lot of sound by not purchasing rear speakers? Will the Denon AVR-1713 reciever be suitable for this set up?

Do you all think this is a reasonable set up? Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-19-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scynd View Post

Hi everyone,
I just purchased my first home and I would like to set up a "home theater" in the basement. I think I know what TV I am going to buy but I don't know enough about audio to make a decision. I've talked to some friends and they made recommendations as well as sending me here.
I would like to set up two Def Tech 8060 BP towers with the respective Def Tech 8060 center channel. I understand they have built in subs so that I don't have to purchase a sub seperately.
My two biggest questions are this: Will I miss out on a lot of sound by not purchasing rear speakers? Will the Denon AVR-1713 reciever be suitable for this set up?
Do you all think this is a reasonable set up? Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! smile.gif
Have you listened to the Def Tech speakers? They're bipole speakers with a dependance on reflected sound. Some really like that... others, not so much. Myself, I think it's OK for some kinds of music, but for HT, I strongly prefer monopole speakers with their more direct localization and imaging.

Also, it should be pointed out that the Def Tech's have built-in, powered "woofers", not subwoofers. A 10" driver with a 10" passive radiator is not really a subwoofer. Def Tech "spec's" them to 20 Hz, but without a -3 dB point. Who knows what their real LF extension is?

Finally, placement of those powered woofers will be the same placement as the mid's and highs, which need to be optimally placed for imaging and soundstage. Those placements are virtually never the optimal placements for bass response. Separate subwoofers can be optimally placed for bass response.

Good luck.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #3 of 9 Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply Craig

I have listened to the 8060's one time and I thought they sounded nice, but I did not compare them to monopole speakers. The speakers will be used 50% for video games and 50% for movies, music doesn't concern me.

What would you recommend I purchase? I would not like to spend more than $3,000 for the entire sound system, and I am not against spending less. If it does not sacrifice the experience too much, I would prefer not to purchase rear speakers so I can save a little and not have to deal with the wires. What is the best bang for buck out there?

Thanks
post #4 of 9 Old 10-19-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Surrounds are nice to have, but if you aren't attached, you'd be on a good path to focus your first budget on the front stage and a GOOD subwoofer or two.

Talk about the room. Size, ceiling height, layout options, distance you expect to sit from the tv, is it open to the rest of the house or closed off? This info will help to lubricate the recommendations.

Do you already own that Denon, or is it just on your short list?
post #5 of 9 Old 10-19-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

At this point I do not own any speakers or a reciever, I was recommended the denon by a friend. I move in to my home in 4 weeks, and unfortunately I don't have exact room measurements. The room is rectangular, with seating and the tv/speakers going on the far ends. I would estimate the room is about 14 feet long and 10 feet wide. The ceiling appears to be standard height, it is a basement room. The hallway entrance into the room is right in the center of one of the long walls.

Thanks
post #6 of 9 Old 10-19-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Also it is an interior unit townhouse so unfortunately the neighbors may hear me, but the bedrooms are all upstairs and I am setting the theater up in the basement.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-20-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:

Thank you for your reply Craig
I have listened to the 8060's one time and I thought they sounded nice, but I did not compare them to monopole speakers. The speakers will be used 50% for video games and 50% for movies, music doesn't concern me.
What would you recommend I purchase? I would not like to spend more than $3,000 for the entire sound system, and I am not against spending less. If it does not sacrifice the experience too much, I would prefer not to purchase rear speakers so I can save a little and not have to deal with the wires. What is the best bang for buck out there?
Thanks

Honestly, I don't like to make speaker recommendations to other people. Speakers are very much a "personal preference" and my preferences may not be yours. I suggest you go out and listen to some different speakers and see what you like.

Good luck.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #8 of 9 Old 10-20-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Honestly, I don't like to make speaker recommendations to other people. Speakers are very much a "personal preference" and my preferences may not be yours. I suggest you go out and listen to some different speakers and see what you like.
Good luck.
Craig

+1 on the suggestion of Craig to go out and listen, ...you have 4 weeks till you move in as you mentioned. smile.gif Although no need to be in a hurry, if you're a noob you may take your time, like I did when I was a noob and studied the aspects of setting up my own HT (in a living room, though) for about 6 months. eek.gifcool.gifwink.gif Was worth the time spent, especially when I got all the good advice at this AVSForum from dozens of friendly members.

As regards subwoofers, yes, another +1, I also would strongly recommend to have at least one (later maybe two) instead of no-subs. Feel lucky enough to have a basement for setting up your own HT room where you don't have to deal with living room issues and WAF/GAF. You may look into floor standing tower type speakers for your Mains (Left & Right) with a Center from the same brand. They are usually in the same model family, so timbre matching should be no isssue. You may start out with a 3.1 system (Left/Center/Right) + Sub, but for enjoying movies a 5.x system is always recommended with two surround speakers (from the same maker) for full enjoyment of the surround sound mix.

I think the Denon AVR1713 would be a good idea, it has an advanced version of room correction software (Audyssey MultEQ XT) together with Audyssey's Dynamic EQ on board . Should these "stuff" be new to you I'd recommend you to study them in details at Ausyssey's homepage. Here's when they are hiding on the Net: www.audyssey.com

Coming down to a player I'd recommend you to look into the Denon range and pair your Denon AVR with a Denon DBT-1713 UD or a Denon DBP-1611 UD universal player. Your gonna enjoy it to the brim.

Wish Ya good luck, come back with Q's any time.smile.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 10-21-2012, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
Quote:

Hi everyone,
My two biggest questions are this: Will I miss out on a lot of sound by not purchasing rear speakers?
Quote:

IME, no. Just setup your AVR accordingly.
Quote:
Will the Denon AVR-1713 receiver be suitable for this set up?

Yup. Note that it has Audessy which should be part of your installation plan.
Quote:

I have a hard time accepting 8" drivers as being anything like a proper subwoofer. Ditto for an 5 x 10 rectangular driver, which may have even less cone area than an 8" round.

I'd get less robust front/center speakers and do the subwoofer part of the equation right. It looks to me like you're spending about $500 each for 3 potentially incompetent subwoofers with those upscale def techs, while you could get 2 really nice subs with the same bucks and do something interesting and SOTA with them.

One extra nice thing about separate subs is that you can put them where they work best, as opposed to being forced to colocate them with the front/center speakers.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page