Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 32 Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I completely concur. There's nothing about how bass management or digital inputs work in general that could IME explain what you are observing. It's a situation that is peculiar to exactly your configuration. So, while it is fun reading generalized articles like the one you cited from Wolfson, its way too general to apply to the weirdness that you are seeing.

The wolfson article really had no bearing on my situation other than in an attempt to circumvent this issue with two channel playback, I was trying to see which alternate input type had better sound quality as I assumed HDMI was best. Then i saw that that may or may not always be true based on how different units handle jitter over the HDMI input. Then I saw that Coax is usually better anyway but my PS3 does not have coax. Then I read that jitter most likely isn't audible anyway so don't stress over it. Then I came across that article which said it could affect sound quality but did not seem to state at what point. Then I posted here. See how this quickly one goes down the rabbit hole smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilippello View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I completely concur. There's nothing about how bass management or digital inputs work in general that could IME explain what you are observing. It's a situation that is peculiar to exactly your configuration. So, while it is fun reading generalized articles like the one you cited from Wolfson, its way too general to apply to the weirdness that you are seeing.

The wolfson article really had no bearing on my situation other than in an attempt to circumvent this issue with two channel playback, I was trying to see which alternate input type had better sound quality as I assumed HDMI was best. Then i saw that that may or may not always be true based on how different units handle jitter over the HDMI input. Then I saw that Coax is usually better anyway but my PS3 does not have coax. Then I read that jitter most likely isn't audible anyway so don't stress over it. Then I came across that article which said it could affect sound quality but did not seem to state at what point. Then I posted here. See how this quickly one goes down the rabbit hole smile.gif

If you have either a coax or optical link, but need the other kind of link to complete your system, there are economical optical-to-coax and coax-to-optical converters that are available.

For example:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=2948&CAWELAID

A more complete list at:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423

Numerous other sources exist for similar equipment at reasonable prices including some Radio Shack stores.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page