Don't use YPAO? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-03-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered some Orb speakers for my home theater, and the gentleman on the phone recommended not using YPAO - or any other speaker setup program. He said that these software solutions tend to send way too much signal to the rear speakers.... what say you on that?

I have the Yamaha RXV- 671... not even out of the box yet, but am getting itchy to set it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
I first use the YPAO auto setup then after it's done I use my RS SPL to manually adjust and "fix" some of the stuff it got way off (i.e change speakers from "Large" to "Small", verify the reference volume at listening position as well as speaker distances..etc).

The reason that I use the YPAO first is because AFAIK it does some tweaks to the EQ depending on the room's acoustics, which at the moment I don't have the right equipment to properly fix those issues manually.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #3 of 8 Old 11-03-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Never heard any room correction program sending too much sound to the rear speakers. Do they also send too much to the front? Such programs attempt to adjust levels, phasing/distance, and equalization to provide the best listining experience. They generally provide much more accurate response than doing nothing, and better than by ear or even using simple tools (e.g. an SPL meter). It seems like a lot of people not liking the sound of the programs simply don't care for flat response, adjusting to their own preferences.

Run YPAO and listen to it for a while before deciding.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4 of 8 Old 11-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Liked: 10
I get wildly different settings each time I run the program. There is no way that YPAO is accurate.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I have very little experience with YPAO. IME, wild variations result from varying mic placement (a tripod is most accurate), conditions around the mic (e.g. people or things in different places for each run), and/or a lack of room treatment (leading to filter effects that can cause significant response changes with very small changes in mic etc. position). YMMV - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6 of 8 Old 11-06-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I've only used YPAO once on a relatives receiver. We are using the YPAO settings but then modified them with a SPL meter. I hate YPAO compared to Audyssey, Audyssey is far superior IMO. This receiver that I used YPAO on said put the mic dead center of the room and that was the only spot it measured from. Seemed totally pointless.

Shawn
post #7 of 8 Old 11-06-2012, 03:03 PM

Liked: 11
if the sound goes up..
it is because the signal is hard to see.
but if it doesnt go all the way up, then obviously the signal was seen.

just turn it back down after it is done doing what it had to do?

as long as it is the physical speaker making the noise the microphone records.. and as long as the microphone is in the listening position .. let the radio turn the speaker up as loud as it wants to get the signal the way it wants.
the brain of the correction service is simply going to love you or hate you.

turning it back down (since i read it is suggested) is only loving or hating yourself.
it doesnt take much to adjust the rear levels to get them even with the front.
you dont even need a test tone .. you start with 0 and see if people knew what they were doing before you got there.
and then up or down to taste ... or put under measurement for right from wrong.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-07-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa2x View Post

...software solutions tend to send way too much signal to the rear speakers....
Indeed, they will bump up the least senstive speaker in the room (or alternately, cut signal to all the high sensitivity speakers) in order to provide a uniform sound level at teh listening position. Rear/surround speakers are frequently smaller and less capable than LCR, so it makes sense from the AVR's perspective.

It's one reason I've upgraded by surrounds to keep up with my mains. I see no point to sending 8x more signal (+9dB) to a speaker with 1/4 the power handling.

Depending on the Orb set you purchased, you may have singles or duals at CC, LCR or all around. Duals should have 6dB greater voltage sensitivity, so single surrounds would cause a 6dB delta in LCR/Surround power levels to achieve equal volateage sensitivity (+/- a little to make up for distance differences). All such systems have some degree of adjustability, so as flickhtguru suggests, use it as a starting point. It's sure easier than a tape measure...

HAve fun,
Frank, who has Audyssey...
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page