Mishmash system setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum section, but I figured it'd fit into 'setup' better than anywhere else.

I have a Denon soundbar (DHT FS3). It's a powered home theater sound bar with a separate subwoofer.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ade0XcB1GUK/p_033DHTFS3/Denon-DHT-FS3.html

I also have a SVS PC12-NSD subwoofer (http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder/pc12-nsd), which I'd like to sync with the soundbar to use as my speaker system for my HDTV (LG 42LH40).

I used to have my computer and TV in the same room, and so I had the SVS subwoofer connected to my computer speakers (audioengine a5+, http://audioengineusa.com/Store/audioengine-A5plus-tech), but I just moved and in my new setup the TV and computer are on different floors.

I guess the best way to do this would be to get a receiver and replace the soundbar with passive speakers, but I don't want to do that at this time. So I guess I'll need to get a receiver with preamp outputs for the soundbar?
Then I'll connect the denon soundbar and its sub to the preamp output, connect the SVS sub to the sub output, and I'll be good to go and ready to upgrade in the future? Do I have this right?

Help?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighted View Post

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum section, but I figured it'd fit into 'setup' better than anywhere else.

I have a Denon soundbar (DHT FS3). It's a powered home theater sound bar with a separate subwoofer.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ade0XcB1GUK/p_033DHTFS3/Denon-DHT-FS3.html

I also have a SVS PC12-NSD subwoofer (http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder/pc12-nsd), which I'd like to sync with the soundbar to use as my speaker system for my HDTV (LG 42LH40).

I used to have my computer and TV in the same room, and so I had the SVS subwoofer connected to my computer speakers (audioengine a5+, http://audioengineusa.com/Store/audioengine-A5plus-tech), but I just moved and in my new setup the TV and computer are on different floors.

I guess the best way to do this would be to get a receiver and replace the soundbar with passive speakers, but I don't want to do that at this time. So I guess I'll need to get a receiver with preamp outputs for the soundbar?
Then I'll connect the denon soundbar and its sub to the preamp output, connect the SVS sub to the sub output, and I'll be good to go and ready to upgrade in the future? Do I have this right?

Help?

Your soundbar is a powered device with built in mains, power amps, and digital and analog inputs. Sort of like a HTIB but everything in one box except for the subwoofer. It has its own bass management and power amplifier for a passive subwoofer. First problem is that the connector for the subwoofer is proprietary. Second problem is that it is a high power output, and not designed for your with the typical home audio subwoofer which is an active device and best used with a line output which is typical of what you find on an AVR.

Things start falling apart a little when we notice that your SVS subwoofer is an active subwoofer, IOW it has its own amplifier.

I sense that we are trying to set up a marriage of convenience between the subwoofer and the sound bar, not necessarily a match made in heaven. ;-)

If you still have the cable for the sound bar's subwoofer we have a possible match. Chop the cable off of the sound bar's subwoofer about a foot back, strip the ends, and stick them into the speaker level input terminals on the SVS subwoofer. Oops, the subwoofer doesn't have any speaker line inputs!

Well, then get one of these, its called a speaker-to-line-leve converter.

OK, so hook the speaker output of the sound bar to the left channel speaker input of the speaker-to-line-level converter and plug a RCA cable from the left output of the converter to the left input of the subwoofer.

Set the low pass filter on the subwoofer to max so that we are using the bass management in the sound bar. Adjust the other two knobs for best sound quality.
Knighted likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

If you still have the cable for the sound bar's subwoofer we have a possible match. Chop the cable off of the sound bar's subwoofer about a foot back, strip the ends, and stick them into the speaker level input terminals on the SVS subwoofer. Oops, the subwoofer doesn't have any speaker line inputs!

OK, so hook the speaker output of the sound bar to the left channel speaker input of the speaker-to-line-level converter and plug a RCA cable from the left output of the converter to the left input of the subwoofer.

I still have all the cables, so this would be an option. Looking at the XANTECH SLLC1 on amazon, a user commented that this product should NOT be connected to a speaker output that can provide greater than 35 Watts per channel output. The amplifier of the sub provides 400 watts RMS continuous power (800 watts peak dynamic power).

I'm assuming that this comment wouldn't apply to me since the sub is powered and not passive, correct?
post #4 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I still have all the cables, so this would be an option. Looking at the XANTECH SLLC1 on amazon, a user commented that this product should NOT be connected to a speaker output that can provide greater than 35 Watts per channel output. The amplifier of the sub provides 400 watts RMS continuous power (800 watts peak dynamic power).
I'm assuming that this comment wouldn't apply to me since the sub is powered and not passive, correct?

Bump. Can anyone confirm that I'll be OK before I go ahead with the purchase? Or suggest an alternate method?

Thanks!
post #5 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The power amp you need to worry about is the one for the soundbar's subwoofer output, which is rated at 40 watts according to the user manual. It is the power source that drives the input of the converter. That's close enough to 35 watts to not be a problem.
Knighted likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to pick up a Pyramid NS-60 for $5, and it works great.
Thanks for your help!
post #7 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was able to pick up a Pyramid NS-60 for $5, and it works great.
Thanks for your help!

Good. In the process of checking out the NS-60 I found it for a buck less at MCM Electronics and also found out that someone has resurrected the Lafayette Radio name. ;-)
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page