Hoping I can squeeze in a 5.1 setup! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've been lurking the forums for a while now and finally decided I need to sign up!

I'm 2 weeks away from moving in to my new condo and have a serious audio dilemma. Many have told me I have no choice but to go with a soundbar (based on the layout) but I'm hoping someone can give me a second option (really hoping for a true 5.1)

What do you guys think? The size of the TV across from the sectional is 60" and viewing distance is about 12.5 feet.

9A9E7857-2F20-402A-BEF5-3F4C565DF3E3-161-00000016051D1A4C.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsp1711 View Post

So I've been lurking the forums for a while now and finally decided I need to sign up!

I'm 2 weeks away from moving in to my new condo and have a serious audio dilemma. Many have told me I have no choice but to go with a soundbar (based on the layout) but I'm hoping someone can give me a second option (really hoping for a true 5.1)

What do you guys think? The size of the TV across from the sectional is 60" and viewing distance is about 12.5 feet.

9A9E7857-2F20-402A-BEF5-3F4C565DF3E3-161-00000016051D1A4C.jpg

Here's a first cut:

post #3 of 7 Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

To clarify, the TV is located at the corner:

skitched-20121107-121926.jpg
post #4 of 7 Old 11-07-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 48
A soundbar may be a good choice for LCR given the lack of open wall space, but that hardly precludes surround speakers. Granted, many soundbars are design as a "do-all" solution, but there's no a priori reason you can't have LCR speakers in a common box, run from a standard AVR, with external surrounds. Finding a commercial offering that doesn't have unnecessary features may be difficult. I agree that three conventional speakers are very tight under a 60" TV, but that's doable, too. The biggest barrier I see to surrounds is running wires...

HAve fun,
Frank
post #5 of 7 Old 11-07-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post

A soundbar may be a good choice for LCR given the lack of open wall space, but that hardly precludes surround speakers. Granted, many soundbars are design as a "do-all" solution, but there's no a priori reason you can't have LCR speakers in a common box, run from a standard AVR, with external surrounds. Finding a commercial offering that doesn't have unnecessary features may be difficult. I agree that three conventional speakers are very tight under a 60" TV, but that's doable, too. The biggest barrier I see to surrounds is running wires...
HAve fun,
Frank

Wire are already run, my only concern was having the right channel speaker so close to the wall as well as the speakers so close to each other. How about a soundbar/rear speaker setup? I'm looking to spend no more than $3000 on my TV/Audio setup, if that helps.

Cheers
post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 48
If wires are run, then you have your speaker placements. To a great extent, they are what they are, a compromise as most rooms. More spacing to walls and more separation are desirable, but not deal breakers. Do what you can, and then let the AVR's room correction system do what it can with the resulting layout before coming to any judgements.

For surrounds, you don't want them co-located, so a surround soundbar only makes sense if it's got some DSP features that enhance the spatial perceptions. Just try to get them close to 90 degrees from the TV - at your side, not behind you, per THX and Dolby.

Remember that we all deal with tradeoffs; you have a nice living space, so enhance it as best you can without the enhancements intruding.

HAve fun,
Frank
Dsp1711 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post

If wires are run, then you have your speaker placements. To a great extent, they are what they are, a compromise as most rooms. More spacing to walls and more separation are desirable, but not deal breakers. Do what you can, and then let the AVR's room correction system do what it can with the resulting layout before coming to any judgements.
For surrounds, you don't want them co-located, so a surround soundbar only makes sense if it's got some DSP features that enhance the spatial perceptions. Just try to get them close to 90 degrees from the TV - at your side, not behind you, per THX and Dolby.
Remember that we all deal with tradeoffs; you have a nice living space, so enhance it as best you can without the enhancements intruding.
HAve fun,
Frank

Thanks for the help, Frank! Very helpful, I'm going A/V shopping later this weekend. I really like the look of the Kef T105 system, overall good reviews but I have yet to hear them in person.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page