Multi-Zone/Multi-Input Receiver HELP!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I've searched this entire forum and can't find anything that really hits what I'm trying to do. I am in desperate need of advice. I'm trying to build a multi source/multi zone whole house audio system.

Here is what I would like to have by room:

Living room: 2 floorstanding speakers
1 subwoofer

Master bath: 2 in-ceiling and/or bookshelf speakers

Bar: 2 floorstanding speakers and/or in-ceiling speakers (preference on floorstanding)
1 subwoofer

Patio: 4 speakers. There are two patios idea is two speakers per patio, and I'd like to be able to turn the speakers on/off as needed, but if this is not possible, it's not a deal breaker.

I've found some receivers that can do somewhat of what I want, but I can't find a receiver that can support two subwoofers. Can anyone point me in the direction of a system/receiver that can do this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjk6 View Post

Hello all,

I've searched this entire forum and can't find anything that really hits what I'm trying to do. I am in desperate need of advice. I'm trying to build a multi source/multi zone whole house audio system.

Here is what I would like to have by room:

Living room: 2 floorstanding speakers
1 subwoofer

Master bath: 2 in-ceiling and/or bookshelf speakers

Bar: 2 floorstanding speakers and/or in-ceiling speakers (preference on floorstanding)
1 subwoofer

Patio: 4 speakers. There are two patios idea is two speakers per patio, and I'd like to be able to turn the speakers on/off as needed, but if this is not possible, it's not a deal breaker.

I've found some receivers that can do somewhat of what I want, but I can't find a receiver that can support two subwoofers. Can anyone point me in the direction of a system/receiver that can do this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

What's wrong with giving the Bar its own receiver and music player?

In your situation I see three different applications: The living room for A/V and formal listening, the bar which may or may not have video and is more casual but may be used for dancing and the like, and the rest of the house which is sort of a background listening environment.

I can see three different listening sessions going on at the same time, each with its own media choices.

I have to admit that I find the idea of whole-house audio with totally centralized control to be a little strange. In this day and age AVRs and music players are so inexpensive and so effective at relatively low price points that spending the big bucks on a complex centralized management system has questionable economics.

Is centralized control a personal control thing? Are you the only person in the house?

Anybody have any insights?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate your response. I actually won't be using the living room for AV. I have a seperate system for that, which is only for that. Literally I just want to have an audio system. I could buy more than one receiver, but the idea of having one central location to control everything seemed much easier. Plus with the two patios, it just seemed easier to be able to run all the speakers from one central location.

You are correct for the other rooms being just background noise. Although I can't say that three different musical selections would be going on, I think at most it would be two, as my wife listens to music I don't have an appreciation for. wink.gif

If the easiest is just to build separate systems, then that's the decision. It seems though that technology would be able to accommodate something like this. The only system I've seen that can is Bose, and as much of a fan of their AV solutions, I prefer to build my own Audio solutions.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Some systems I have looked at, that don't seem to be able to support what I'm trying to accomplish, are :

Niles ZR4/6, Russound CA/C series, Bose (Not my preferred choice, but a choice nonetheless), and something I can't quite pull off the top of my head right now.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?