Any tips for discretely wiring around the house? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Dillsnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to run a pair of speakers downstairs from where my amp is, without having wire everywhere in plain view.

This is a short term living situation though, so it may not be worth the extra time and effort to go through the walls etc.

But I wanted to see what others have done and get any advice to maybe be a bit more discrete.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Dillsnik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member
 
ap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Look at Wiremold products. They are available from HD and Lowe's. Keep in mind that removing them usually requires re-painting of the wall due to damage from glue.
ap1 is online now  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,345
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Look at Wiremold products. They are available from HD and Lowe's. Keep in mind that removing them usually requires re-painting of the wall due to damage from glue.

The damage is often actually reduced in terms of ease of repair by holding them in place with a few screws. The screws make a few small holes while the adhesive can tear off big strips of paint.
arnyk is online now  
post #4 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Dillsnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, not trying to make a big repair job after out if this if i can help it. Probably moving in 9 months

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Dillsnik is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wayne A. Pflughaupt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Katy, TX USA
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The damage is often actually reduced in terms of ease of repair by holding them in place with a few screws. The screws make a few small holes while the adhesive can tear off big strips of paint.

^^ +1

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt




Wayne A. Pflughaupt is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
First, you are confusing "discrete' and "discreet'...lol. "Discrete" means "individual and separate", while discreet is the word you want to use.

Wiremold makes a number of products that can be used to route wires discreetly; the devil is in the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillsnik View Post

I wanted to run a pair of speakers downstairs from where my amp is, without having wire everywhere in plain view.
This is a short term living situation though, so it may not be worth the extra time and effort to go through the walls etc.
But I wanted to see what others have done and get any advice to maybe be a bit more discrete.
Thanks
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
commsysman is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-10-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Dillsnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I appreciate the feedback, but I just looked at those and I don't know how much more attractive those tubes would look running along the wall. Plus it could become a cost for how many I might need

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Dillsnik is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wayne A. Pflughaupt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Katy, TX USA
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Well, if you’re trying to avoid in-wall wiring, your options are pretty limited. Another one would be to take off the baseboards, run the wiring behind them, then re-attach the baseboards. But that’s usually a major hassle, as most houses these days have them calked to the sheetrock.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt




Wayne A. Pflughaupt is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-10-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
amirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington State
Posts: 18,045
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 411
An out of box option is to move the source of the sound and amplification to the other floor. A wireless media player for example can play content over your already existing WiFI network. These boxes can then be moved with you. A bonus is that you can listen to something other than what this node is playing.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

amirm is online now  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,345
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillsnik View Post

I appreciate the feedback, but I just looked at those and I don't know how much more attractive those tubes would look running along the wall. Plus it could become a cost for how many I might need

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

The only thing that looks worse than wiremold is standard cable and wire just tacked in place.
arnyk is online now  
post #11 of 12 Old 11-11-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Dillsnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lol
Dillsnik is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 11-14-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fbov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bushnell's Basin, NY
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
How about this? It says subwoofer, but it's a 2-channel device... no amp, but that's an easy fix these days.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-580
fbov is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off