Location recommendation for my Bi-Polar Surrounds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy! I'm looking to mine the expertise of AVS members for a recommendation as to where to mount my surround channel speakers.

The Gear:
Denon AVR-2308 Receiver
L/R Speakers: Definitive Tech. BP-8060ST (Bi-Polar)
Center: Definitive Tech CS-8040HD
Surrounds: Definitive Tech SR-8040BP (Bi-Polar)

The Surrounds:

By the way - you can get these speakers at a pretty smoking deal right now... Buy the fronts, get the center and surrounds free...

The Room
10'6" x 14' Basement room. No Windows, 7'ish cielings, carpeted, dry-walled. Double doors open into the room length wise (see drawing).

The Question
Where should I mount my surrounds? This is a 5.1 channel setup. With the couch right up against the wall, it's tough to get "behind" the listener. Should they be to the side (#1) or the rear (#2)? Keep in mind - these are bi-polar speakers. I plan to mount them so the top of the speaker is at 6', regardless of position.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Bipoles should be mounted on rear wall, position 2. I have the same setup with my bipoles. Position 1 would be for Dipoles.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbie View Post

Howdy! I'm looking to mine the expertise of AVS members for a recommendation as to where to mount my surround channel speakers.
The Gear:
Denon AVR-2308 Receiver
L/R Speakers: Definitive Tech. BP-8060ST (Bi-Polar)
Center: Definitive Tech CS-8040HD
Surrounds: Definitive Tech SR-8040BP (Bi-Polar)

The Surrounds:

By the way - you can get these speakers at a pretty smoking deal right now... Buy the fronts, get the center and surrounds free...
The Room
10'6" x 14' Basement room. No Windows, 7'ish cielings, carpeted, dry-walled. Double doors open into the room length wise (see drawing).
The Question
Where should I mount my surrounds? This is a 5.1 channel setup. With the couch right up against the wall, it's tough to get "behind" the listener. Should they be to the side (#1) or the rear (#2)? Keep in mind - these are bi-polar speakers. I plan to mount them so the top of the speaker is at 6', regardless of position.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

I am currently using Def-Tech 2002TL fronts, 2500 center, and BPX Bipole for surrounds. Sofa is right up against the rear wall. frown.gif
I listen to lots of music concerts on DVD and Blu-Ray. I like position #1 on your drawing...at the sides, but close to the rear wall. Remember, the Bipole Def-Tech spkrs have two identical spkr arrays, one firing towards front center, and the other firing towawds the rear center'ish areas. I get a convincable surround effect this way...reflected sounds. Their sound is not locallized, which I think is a good thing. Similar to the sounds I hear at a live concert.
You simply need to try both locations using YOUR reference recording...one that you know how it should sound.

Espo77