3.5mm Extension Cables Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but this problem I am having has me completely stumped, and this looks like it might be a good place to ask.

First of all my previous computer headset setup involved using this headset with this adapter to plug into the back of my computer. This worked perfectly fine.

I now would like to move my computer off of my desk, and so I bought two of these extension cables. Now, if I use just one extension cable, for either the headphones or the microphone, everything still works the same as before. If I use both extension cables, however, anything played through the headphones gets transferred over to the microphone as well. I think the volume is slightly lower, but it comes through pretty clearly. Upon further investigation, my initial setup also seems to have this problem, but the sound is transferred at a much lower volume, low enough that it doesn't seem to matter for my purposes (not echoing people back in Ventrilo), or at least no one ever complained before.

I thought it must just be interference from the cables being run close to each other, so I have tried separating them as much as physically possible (though they obviously have to come near each other on each end). Could that actually be what the problem is? It doesn't seem to make a difference when I put the wires as far apart as possible, anyway.

I also have on board sound, as well as a sound card in my computer, and I have tried to use the microphone input from one, and the headphone output from the other. I thought maybe the problem was the connectors being too close to each other, but still the problem persists.

I'm hoping there is some stupid thing I am overlooking that would lead to a simple fix, but I'm expecting the answer to be to either not use the extension cables, or to possibly buy some shielded ones?

If this isn't the right forum for this type of question I do apologize, and thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB1986 View Post

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but this problem I am having has me completely stumped, and this looks like it might be a good place to ask.

First of all my previous computer headset setup involved using this headset with this adapter to plug into the back of my computer. This worked perfectly fine.

I now would like to move my computer off of my desk, and so I bought two of these extension cables. Now, if I use just one extension cable, for either the headphones or the microphone, everything still works the same as before. If I use both extension cables, however, anything played through the headphones gets transferred over to the microphone as well. I think the volume is slightly lower, but it comes through pretty clearly. Upon further investigation, my initial setup also seems to have this problem, but the sound is transferred at a much lower volume, low enough that it doesn't seem to matter for my purposes (not echoing people back in Ventrilo), or at least no one ever complained before.

I thought it must just be interference from the cables being run close to each other, so I have tried separating them as much as physically possible (though they obviously have to come near each other on each end). Could that actually be what the problem is? It doesn't seem to make a difference when I put the wires as far apart as possible, anyway.

I also have on board sound, as well as a sound card in my computer, and I have tried to use the microphone input from one, and the headphone output from the other. I thought maybe the problem was the connectors being too close to each other, but still the problem persists.

I'm hoping there is some stupid thing I am overlooking that would lead to a simple fix, but I'm expecting the answer to be to either not use the extension cables, or to possibly buy some shielded ones?

If this isn't the right forum for this type of question I do apologize, and thanks in advance for any help.

The cross talk may be happening inside the earbuds-headphones, and it might be the resistance of the ground side of the extension cables that is exasperating the crosstalk.

Change the headphones-earphones for something different, and/or try extension cables with heavier wire inside them. I'm guessing that if Blue Jeans cables makes extension cables like these, they would be made up of heavier wire which might help.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Well I tried a different cell phone headset (one that came with an iPhone), and the problem remained the same. I then tried just using the microphone from the iPhone headset, and the earbuds from my headset (using a second Y-adapter), and the problem seemed to be minimized again. Unfortunately I do not currently seem to have a stand alone microphone that I could try.

So, operating under the assumption that you are completely correct, is it safe to assume that adding any extension cables, no matter the thickness, will always make the problem at least a little bit worse? In which case, I'm assuming my safest bet is to just get a separate clip-on mic such as this one?
post #4 of 5 Old 11-09-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB1986 View Post

Well I tried a different cell phone headset (one that came with an iPhone), and the problem remained the same. I then tried just using the microphone from the iPhone headset, and the earbuds from my headset (using a second Y-adapter), and the problem seemed to be minimized again. Unfortunately I do not currently seem to have a stand alone microphone that I could try.

Hmm, so separating the mic from the earphones reduced or eliminated the problem regardless of whether you used the extension cord(s) or not?

That seems consistent with my suspicions, except that the situation may be common to many of the earphone/mic combinations on the market.
Quote:
So, operating under the assumption that you are completely correct,

That is never true! ;-)
Quote:
is it safe to assume that adding any extension cables, no matter the thickness, will always make the problem at least a little bit worse?

Probably.
Quote:
In which case, I'm assuming my safest bet is to just get a separate clip-on mic such as this one?

Seems like. The investment seems small enough.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-09-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

except that the situation may be common to many of the earphone/mic combinations on the market.

Or the problem could be with the Y-adapter. I don't have any one device that can use the headset directly, as well as through the adapter, so I can't really think of a way to easily test it.

Anyway, I ordered the separate microphone so hopefully that ends up working out. Thanks for your help!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page