Dolby TrueHD vs. DTS-HD Master Audio - Page 5 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 126 Old 04-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
DRC72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greater Hartford, CT
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
I had the opposite result. I compared the TrueHD track on Star Trek Into Darkness to the DTS-HD MA track on Stargate. Now, I know they're different movies, but the TrueHD track smoked the DTS Master Audio track. Not saying TrueHD is better, just reporting my findings.

The Dark Knight and The Matrix are awesome in True HD, although I would be curious to see what those movies would sound like if they where mixed with DTS HD MA.


Sent from my AT&T iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
DRC72 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 126 Old 04-23-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 20,730
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2090 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
The Dark Knight and The Matrix are awesome in True HD, although I would be curious to see what those movies would sound like if they where mixed with DTS HD MA.
If that were to happen, I think the DTS-HD MA track would be more identical to the original than the TrueHD track.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #123 of 126 Old 04-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Senior Member
 
DRC72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greater Hartford, CT
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
If that were to happen, I think the DTS-HD MA track would be more identical to the original than the TrueHD track.

Curious as to why you think that? Although I wouldn't doubt it.


Sent from my AT&T iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
DRC72 is online now  
post #124 of 126 Old 04-26-2015, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,693
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
The Dark Knight and The Matrix are awesome in True HD, although I would be curious to see what those movies would sound like if they where mixed with DTS HD MA.
dts and dolby are different data compression codecs, not different methods of mixing soundtracks. A movie is mixed, creating a multichannel PCM soundtrack. Sometime later, that PCM track is put in a disc, almost always using data compression to save space. With lossless codecs such as TrueHD and dts-MA, the PCM coming out of the decoder is identical to the PCM that was fed into the encoder. In other words, if you start with the same soundtrack, it makes no difference which lossless codec is used.

btw, I think Sanjay is fooling with you a bit. Comparing two different movies says nothing about the lossless codecs involved. And, by definition, with the same input, the outputs of two lossless codecs must be the same. One cannot be "more identical" than the other.
holt7153 likes this.

Last edited by BIslander; 04-26-2015 at 07:35 PM.
BIslander is online now  
post #125 of 126 Old Yesterday, 03:35 AM
Senior Member
 
DRC72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greater Hartford, CT
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Dolby TrueHD vs. DTS-HD Master Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
dts and dolby are different data compression codecs, not different methods of mixing soundtracks. A movie is mixed, creating a multichannel PCM soundtrack. Sometime later, that PCM track is put in a disc, almost always using data compression to save space. With lossless codecs such as TrueHD and dts-MA, the PCM coming out of the decoder is identical to the PCM that was fed into the encoder. In other words, if you start with the same soundtrack, it makes no difference which lossless codec is used.

btw, I think Sanjay is fooling with you a bit. Comparing two different movies says nothing about the lossless codecs involved. And, by definition, with the same input, the outputs of two lossless codecs must be the same. One cannot be "more identical" than the other.

So all soundtracks start out as PCM, and then are encoded in either Dolby T HD or DTS HD MA on the disc? Then the receiver re-encodes it back to PCM for output?


Sent from my AT&T iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
DRC72 is online now  
post #126 of 126 Old Today, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Eyleron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 2,375
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I don't know for sure, but I suspect not "encode to PCM", but rather decode the compression scheme (DD*/DTS*), and with the resultant data streams in memory, apply processing prior to output to amps.

SEOS Fusion 10 Max, SVS PB10 and DIY SI18 subs, Denon X4000, Epson 8500 & 2.35:1 AT Screen
DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
Eyleron is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off