directv audio vs blu ray question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may be a dumb questions but im curious. i noticed on the forums people say that when they were watching a blu ray that their subwoofer was hitting a frequency of say 20hz. now if you watch this same movie from hbo on directv is it possble to still hit that low or will that never happen because of the compression? i undwratand you domt get the same formats as blu ray but im curious about the frequency ranges.

sorry about the typos, im on my phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 258
There are a lot of ifs and maybes.

First of all, it depends on how the Bluray player is connected to the audio system (individual channel outputs vs HDMI or other video connections).

Second, it depends on whether the DIRECTV receiver has multichannel sound capability or even can process actual Bluray content and audio formats.

Third, it is very unlikely that DIRECTV is actually transmitting true Bluray format due to the bandwidth that would be required.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

There are a lot of ifs and maybes.
First of all, it depends on how the Bluray player is connected to the audio system (individual channel outputs vs HDMI or other video connections).
Second, it depends on whether the DIRECTV receiver has multichannel sound capability or even can process actual Bluray content and audio formats.
Third, it is very unlikely that DIRECTV is actually transmitting true Bluray format due to the bandwidth that would be required.

DIRECTV offers 1080P for video...as for audio, the format appears to be random, sometimes offered in Dolby Digital 5.1, other times is two channel, which I convert to "DPLIIX Movie" on the processor.

Espo77
post #4 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

I dont think I worded my question right.

Lets take DVD instead of BR. If I get a DVD and watch it thru the PS3 with an HDMI cable its in DD 5.1, now if I watch a movie on directv which is hooked up with an HDMI cable. Both sources outputting DD 5.1. Same movie and everything. Are there differences between the two? If so, what would they be? Would the directv version have the same frequency ranges or would it be lacking?

Hope I explained myself a little better.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamane View Post

I dont think I worded my question right.

Lets take DVD instead of BR. If I get a DVD and watch it thru the PS3 with an HDMI cable its in DD 5.1, now if I watch a movie on directv which is hooked up with an HDMI cable. Both sources outputting DD 5.1. Same movie and everything.

Not the same everything. It is pretty well known that bandwidth for OTA, satellites and to a lesser degree cable systems is more likely to be intentionally limited as compared to pre-recorded media, particularly Blu Ray.
Quote:
Are there differences between the two? If so, what would they be? Would the direct tv version have the same frequency ranges or would it be lacking?

I would expect more measurable bandwidth limiting of the video than the audio. And the bandwidth limiting is almost always related to high frequencies, not low frequencies.

Let's put it this way. If I compare OTA HDTV from a local studio-originated program to the same thing over cable, particularly for OTA channels that are running just one program at a time, I can generally see the extra resolution in the OTA signal.

Technically speaking one often finds that while an OTA HDTV channel can use the entire 6 MHz channel, while the channel spacing on cable systems is usually no more than 3 MHz. Go figure!

This can show up big time if you are watching a live local sports event that never went through a national network.

This comes right out and smacks you right in the file size versus time stats, if you do video capture on a PC.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, i've experienced several moviesvia directv that audio wise was as good or very close to blu ray.Putting the major audio formats aside like truhd and such. I just saw Prometheus via directv cinema and had to turn down the volume of my sub due to alot of shaking going on,if u know wat i mean. I would assume it does depend on how well the 5.1 particular movie is being put out per se.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
While cable and sat may have reduced bandwidth per channel, I wouldn't expect that to translate to reduced low frequency extension per se as that actually requires very little bandwidth. If there are formatting or mix differences for some reason perhaps, but that isn't really because it is on cable or not.

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page