Where's this problem coming from? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi , just wanted some feedback regarding my sound issue. Several times now when attempting to watch my Blu Ray ISO movies from my external hard drive I will encounter a issue with sound suddenly becoming distorted (high pitched distorted ) eventually after a few minutes it will seem to have returned but only the soundtrack eg. music,sound effects will be audible no dialogue.

This behavior is random and I have tried everything, new WD external HDdrives, new highspeed HDMI cables, different HDMI inputs on my receiver. However I do not seem to have this issue when I watch actual BluRay disks.? This is confusing me because I thought that my Onkyo receiver was malfunctioning but then why has this never happened while watching off a actual disk? Could the culprit be the WD external hard drive? This happens when I'm playing them off my OPPO and also when watching from my POPCORN HOUR A200.

Panasonic Plasma
Oppo 93
Onkyo-808 Receiver
Popcorn hour A200
2x "new" WD External Harddrives.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyriderr View Post

Hi , just wanted some feedback regarding my sound issue. Several times now when attempting to watch my Blu Ray ISO movies from my external hard drive I will encounter a issue with sound suddenly becoming distorted (high pitched distorted ) eventually after a few minutes it will seem to have returned but only the soundtrack eg. music,sound effects will be audible no dialogue.

This behavior is random and I have tried everything, new WD external HDdrives, new highspeed HDMI cables, different HDMI inputs on my receiver. However I do not seem to have this issue when I watch actual BluRay disks.? This is confusing me because I thought that my Onkyo receiver was malfunctioning but then why has this never happened while watching off a actual disk? Could the culprit be the WD external hard drive? This happens when I'm playing them off my OPPO and also when watching from my POPCORN HOUR A200.

Panasonic Plasma
Oppo 93
Onkyo-808 Receiver
Popcorn hour A200

Most likely culprits are either the tracks themselves or the OPPO. Is it possible that your video ripping process or the download source that you are using has some glitches? Is it possible that the video is being upsampled to a higher resolution than it is on the actual commercial Blu Ray disc?

Are the points in the media where things break up always the same or do they change significantly every time you play a given piece of media?

Everything else that you've mentioned seems unlikely to make any difference. Not the HDMI cables, not the HDMI inputs, and really not the AVR itself.

IME, if a HDMI link works reliably, stably and well at all for several minutes at a given video resolution, it generally continues to do so unless something else changes. 1-2 meter HDMI cables are pretty much the same for this kind of thing unless there are problems with the connection being intermittent due to a broken cable or connector.

The HDMI inputs on an AVR are generally as alike as peas in a pod unless they are damaged in which case they generally don't work at all. There seems to be some kind of a bottleneck in your situation. Playing a USB storage device as opposed to playing actual Blu Ray media use several very different functions of your OPPO. So it makes some sense that Blu Ray discs can play well while there are problems playing media off of a storage device.

What happens if you try to play the media off of the storage device with a PC?

I'd defrag the storage device just to make sure.

I've recently been working with CAT 5E extenders for HDMI which can be sensitive to cable lengths near their length limits, and their reliability drops as I push video resolution beyond a certain point. So, I've been able to take HDMI links to the edge and watch how they behave. It's digital, so there is only a narrow range of parameters where they are flakey. There is a huge safe area before things start breaking, and once it starts breaking trying to press things even a little further generally breaks things totally.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-12-2012, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are the points in the media where things break up always the same or do they change significantly every time you play a given piece of media?

They are random, on both the OPPO and the Popcorn hour.
Quote:

It plays fine no hiccups at all.

I do suspect the storage devices or the Blu Ray rips them self's which is a relief somewhat. Although I'm also not 100% sure it's not the Onkyo receiver it being the common factor both devices are connected to.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-12-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:

Quote:

They are random, on both the OPPO and the Popcorn hour.
Quote:

It plays fine no hiccups at all.

Letsee. device A has hiccups, device B does not. Quick, which one is defective? ;-)

Quote:
I do suspect the storage devices or the Blu Ray rips them self's which is a relief somewhat.

If a file plays properly with any reasonable player, then any player that has problems with it is obviously defective.
Quote:
Although I'm also not 100% sure it's not the Onkyo receiver it being the common factor both devices are connected to.

Can you play the PC through the Onkyo receiver?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

Panasonic Plasma
Oppo 93
Onkyo-808 Receiver
Popcorn hour A200
You are painting a near impossible scenario smile.gif. Have you tried ripping the ISO again? It is possible that it has errors in it and PC player happens to be able to get around it better than the stand-alone products. Also, does it happen if you select a different audio stream? Try the lowest bit rate one (e.g. Dolby Digital, or different language tracks). Also, is this with PCM or bit stream output? Try switching it from one to the other and see if it still happens.

The only other potential issue is that of performance. It could be that there is a long seek or two here and there on that drive that causes the players to fall behind. PCs are not impacted since they have so much memory and they read ahead significant amount of data so won't get impacted this way. So if the other drives you tried were all the same brand, I would try another to rule this out. With two hardware players doing this, I would not consider this a defect in either player. Then again this should not be the cause as you should see stuttering in the picture and sound and not what you describe.

Again, this is a very, very odd problem. I am not confident the above is helpful but thought I offer them anyway. smile.gif

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #6 of 9 Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 292
One other thing to try. How about hooking up the player directly to the TV and see if it happens then? That would show if the AVR has something to do with this. It is possible your AVR amps are failing and it just happens to show up when you are playing from those sources.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #7 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I have followed some of your suggestions and well come to the conclusion that culprit to be the tracks on the Full Blu Ray rips or the ISO, I went back to all the files that where giving said problem and realized that they are all TrueHD tracks. Changing the HDMI audio on the Oppo from Bitstream to LPCM seems to solve the issue (tested 3 bluray rips that have been problematic). ????
post #8 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Ok I have followed some of your suggestions and well come to the conclusion that culprit to be the tracks on the Full Blu Ray rips or the ISO, I went back to all the files that where giving said problem and realized that they are all TrueHD tracks. Changing the HDMI audio on the Oppo from Bitstream to LPCM seems to solve the issue (tested 3 bluray rips that have been problematic). ????

It is possible that your receiver has problems in decoding DSP software. Check if Onkyo has any firmware upgrades for your model.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
+1

It appears to me that the Onkyo has a problem with the TrueHD that is created by your ripping software. The evidence, in order of persuasiveness:
When the Oppo bitstreams, you have the problem, when the Oppo decodes, you do not.
Both the Oppo and The PCH have the same issue into the Onkyo. And the PC does not have the problem.
The disk plays fine, but the ISO image has the problem.

By the way, what software are you using to rip?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page