Audio from HD Antenna to Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Trying to get audio run through from my TV to my Receiver so I can listen to football in stereo today.

I am not seeing anything on the back of my TV labeled Audio Out except for an optical port and what looks like a headphone/mic jack.

So is there no way to run the audio except with that optical line? Was hoping to just send it through with a set of red and white composite cables. Don't actually have an optical cable here...but I guess I could go get one just figured there may be an easier way.

TV is a Samsung LN46C650L1F and receiever is Yamaha rx-a810

Thanks y'all for any help
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 547
You can use the headphone jack to also send the audio to your receiver. You just have to keep the levels low (i.e. don't turn the volume too high on the TV or it may get distorted). Stores like Radio Shack readily sell a cable that has a headphone jack at one end and a pair of RCA (red and white) cables at the other end. But if you do have optical input in your AVR, that is the better way to go. Those cables are pretty cheap and usually available locally.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
Old 11-11-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillsnik View Post

Hi,

Trying to get audio run through from my TV to my Receiver so I can listen to football in stereo today.

I am not seeing anything on the back of my TV labeled Audio Out except for an optical port and what looks like a headphone/mic jack.

Then you are not seeing something that should be there! ;-)

Samsung LN46C650L1F user manual

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201009/20100906130822796/[LC650-ZA]BN68-02541A-04Eng.pdf

Page 11
Quote:
So is there no way to run the audio except with that optical line? Was hoping to just send it through with a set of red and white composite cables. Don't actually have an optical cable here...but I guess I could go get one just figured there may be an easier way.

TV is a Samsung LN46C650L1F and receiever is Yamaha rx-a810

The required analog cable is one of the most common off-the-shelf audio cables around. Sometimes called "an iPod cable" but in fact it works with just about any headphone jack on a wide variety of devices, portable and not.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

OK, great! Yes I did say I saw that port. So I would need an aux cable to RCA red/white, or an optical. Thanks for the detailed responses guys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hey i actually had one of those aux>RCA cables lying around and got it working. thanks again so very much! It's pretty quiet though, but it works!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Good deal. If it is quiet, make sure you turn up the TV volume control. Even though you have a volume control on your AVR, the TV volume still controls that output since it is also a headphone jack.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

. . . But if you do have optical input in your AVR, that is the better way to go.
Yes.

If you have surround speakers with your Yamaha, the optical cable will give you 5.1 surround from those TV stations that broadcast it, which is most stations in my area.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Yes.
If you have surround speakers with your Yamaha, the optical cable will give you 5.1 surround from those TV stations that broadcast it, which is most stations in my area.

Yep, and monoprice has some pretty cheap optical cables too.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 PM

Hello,

I am same TV LN46C650. I am thinking of connecting my TV with Energy 5.1 Take Classic speaker set without a receiver.

Below are the things i am trying to achieve

1) Have 5.1 sound when playing any movie from TV ( Input source is from setup box)
2) Have 5.1 sound when playing any movie via Allshare ( input source can be any all share device on network)
3) Have 5.1 sound when playing any movie via USB

Note, that i have only speakers and no receivers. Can i get what i am looking for ? Or I must add a receiver ?

Question 2: If i play a movie/video via USB or DLNA on my TV, i can still get 5.1 sound by giving AUDIO Out from TV to Speakers ?

please advice.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 46
airan,
You need some sort of amplifier to drive the speakers, plus something to switch signals when you change source. That's what an AVR is designed to do. You won't get far your way.

This thread addresses someone connecting the TV's audio signal to an AVR. That's a very different, and achievable, request.

Have fun,
Frank