Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 05-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Funny I found this thread -
I wanted to hook up a Roku 3 - however, I learned that it only had HDMI output - no optical for audio. This concerned me, because I really wanted 5.1 audio and my aging Denon AVR3802 did not have HDMI switching capabilities. I would have to connect it directly to the TV. As I had understood it, my tv (Samsung LN52A630) would not pass DD 5.1 via it's optical out port - only PCM or DD 2.0. I went ahead and got the Roku anyway, knowing this would be the case.

Imagine my surprise when I played my first movie (via HBO GO) and saw the "Dolby Digital 5.1" light up on my receiver! I have no idea why this is working, but I'm not complaining. According to Samsung's own documentation, this should not be possible. They say 5.1 is only passed via the optical out when viewing an OTA broadcast. The Roku must be doing some special handshake with the set. It is definitely discreet 5.1 too. I had ensured in the Roku settings that "Surround" was selected under the audio options... but at the time, I didn't really think it mattered. Apparently it is working. I suppose it depends heavily on the handshake between the source device and the TV. I'll have to attempt to do do this with my blu-ray player to see if I can get the same results.

-Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Increasing numbers of TVs will pass DD 5.1 from external devices. But, very few do DTS. So, you may find that you get DD 5.1 from BDs with TrueHD tracks, but stereo PCM from discs with dts-MA tracks (which is most of them). Samsungs seem to handle multichannel passthrough better than most manufacturers.
post #33 of 43 Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 AM

Pretty much what happens with mine. I use a computer connected via HDMI to a tv. I output the audio back out to a soundbar, so I only get DD. DTS is down mixed.
post #34 of 43 Old 05-31-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDinan View Post

Funny I found this thread -
I wanted to hook up a Roku 3 - however, I learned that it only had HDMI output - no optical for audio. This concerned me, because I really wanted 5.1 audio and my aging Denon AVR3802 did not have HDMI switching capabilities. I would have to connect it directly to the TV. As I had understood it, my tv (Samsung LN52A630) would not pass DD 5.1 via it's optical out port - only PCM or DD 2.0. I went ahead and got the Roku anyway, knowing this would be the case.

Imagine my surprise when I played my first movie (via HBO GO) and saw the "Dolby Digital 5.1" light up on my receiver! I have no idea why this is working, but I'm not complaining. According to Samsung's own documentation, this should not be possible. They say 5.1 is only passed via the optical out when viewing an OTA broadcast. The Roku must be doing some special handshake with the set. It is definitely discreet 5.1 too. I had ensured in the Roku settings that "Surround" was selected under the audio options... but at the time, I didn't really think it mattered. Apparently it is working. I suppose it depends heavily on the handshake between the source device and the TV. I'll have to attempt to do do this with my blu-ray player to see if I can get the same results.

-Ryan

That's why I started this thread last year when I bought my smart tv... originally from factory the TV only supported 5.1 from OTA. But thru some of the firmware updates you now can get 5.1 discreet surround sound thru Netflix or Amazon VOD...given the original sound track is encoded in 5.1.... Some older movies from the early 80's and before are encoded in Stereo only....

As I have stated many times before....the whole smart hub and smart TV nonsense is all a big gimmick if you ask me...I like it... but very unstable....

I always recommend people to get a set to box like roku..ps3...wd live..apple tv...etc... the support for set top boxes are way way much better and more robust and reliable.....
post #35 of 43 Old 05-31-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course, Ryan's issue is that he can't use a Roku unless he runs it through the TV, which means he had to deal with the set's limitations.
post #36 of 43 Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 AM

Liked: 10
I have a Samsung ES7500 with Onkyo 626. The responsibility of sending 5.1 signal to the receiver lies with the Apps in Smart Hub and not Smart Hub itself. It looks like the Netflix app for Samsung TV does not output 5.1 to the Receiver. When I tried Vudu, I did get DD+ and DTS output. I have not yet tried the Redbox Instand & Amazon. Will do it sometime this week to see how they fare up. Which ever streaming service supports 5.1 output, that is what I will be subscribing to. It is worthless to have a streaming service just to watch movies without using the Home Theater that I have invested on.
post #37 of 43 Old 11-12-2013, 03:26 PM

Just and update, Samsung 2013 UN46F7500. I just confirmed that I do get Dolby 5.1 on my Denon AVR from Netflix using the optical output on the TV.

Bill

Thanks,
Bill
post #38 of 43 Old 11-12-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I briefly had a Sharp LED that passed both DD 5.1 and DTS from external devices. An excellent feature. But, I didn't like the picture and replaced the set with a Samsung plasma that passes neither.
post #39 of 43 Old 01-10-2014, 05:31 AM

I have a Samsung ES8000 with EVO kit fitted connected to a home theater setup by SPDIF/Optical lead. I stream all my films from a PC on my network using a server called Mezzmo. The TV happily outputs all audio formats be it DTS or DD5.1 to the Home Theater with little or no fuss. Occasionally I have to go in and select the appropriate sound within the TV menu system either PCM or DD or DTS, but very rarely.

All OTA be it Freesat or DTV outputs 5.1DD from the internal tuners on the TV (as long as they are broadcast in this format) to the optical port as well. I have not had any experience of the apps or the smart hub outputs but I agree if Amazon, Netflix, Iplayer etc do not output in DD5.1 then that is pretty pointless. I will give BBC Iplayer a try tonight and see if this works.
post #40 of 43 Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 PM

Hola... same old question.  I have a Panasonic 60ST60, and would like to output DD 5.1 from the optical.  Am only getting 2 channel.  Cable box is normally HDMI 1 but tried HDMI 2 for pass thru = no change, only 2 channel.  Does anyone know how to locate the 'Advanced Audio Menu' as described on p. 163 of eHelp "Digital Audio Out"?  Says allows selection of settings for HDMI-2 (ARC) and optical.  But, I certainly can not find.  Tried Audio in standard and user modes = no change.

Thanks  JAS

post #41 of 43 Old 01-22-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think Panasonic TVs pass DD 5.1 from HDMI inputs.
post #42 of 43 Old 10-01-2014, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I still remember few months ago my samsung smart TV still got the 5.1 DD but after the netflix firmware were upgraded, the Audio only stereo even on the movie title it said HD 5.1.
The old firmware, you go to Audio and subtitles feature in the movie there is option for stereo and 5.1 but new firmware only stereo even on the movie title said HD 5.1
post #43 of 43 Old 10-03-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafsusekale View Post
I still remember few months ago my samsung smart TV still got the 5.1 DD but after the netflix firmware were upgraded, the Audio only stereo even on the movie title it said HD 5.1.
The old firmware, you go to Audio and subtitles feature in the movie there is option for stereo and 5.1 but new firmware only stereo even on the movie title said HD 5.1
Hit the down arrow while a title is playing, you can switch the audio that way.

It's different than the Netflix apps on my other devices, you set the preferred audio stream and CC as options BEFORE playing.

As I've posted elsewhere, there is a problem with Netflix' app supposedly playing DD+ via HDMI ARC or TOSlink, but my amp identifies it as DD. There are dropouts in audio depending upon the stream of the title. This morning, Netflix support informed me that they are aware of a problem with their Samsung Smart TV app and working on a fix.

Modest "theater": Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic BDT210, Yamaha RXV775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat