Which Audio setup should I use? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because of new neighbors above and below me, I won't be using the surround sound system in my bedroom anymore. I'll instead be using the TV's speakers.

TV: Sony Bravia KDL40EX400
Blu-ray Player: Samsung BD-P1500

Today was the first day I watched a movie without my surround sound. I watched the movie Drive. I used the TV's speakers and experienced a slight audio dropout from time to time (the audio would suddenly get real low for a second before returning back to normal).
These were the current audio setting on my blu-ray player...
PCM: On
PCM Downsampling: On
Dynamic Compression: On
Also, on my TV's audio settings, I had 'Steady Sound' on.

I'm sure one or more of the above settings aren't right. Any ideas on which setting(s) are wrong? Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKeatz View Post

Because of new neighbors above and below me, I won't be using the surround sound system in my bedroom anymore. I'll instead be using the TV's speakers.

Seems reasonable to me.

Another option is for you (singular or plural) to use headphones. smile.gif

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #3 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKeatz View Post

TV: Sony Bravia KDL40EX400
Blu-ray Player: Samsung BD-P1500

Today was the first day I watched a movie without my surround sound. I watched the movie Drive. I used the TV's speakers and experienced a slight audio dropout from time to time (the audio would suddenly get real low for a second before returning back to normal).
These were the current audio setting on my blu-ray player...
PCM: On
PCM Downsampling: On
Dynamic Compression: On
Also, on my TV's audio settings, I had 'Steady Sound' on.

I'm sure one or more of the above settings aren't right. Any ideas on which setting(s) are wrong? Thanks a lot!

None of the settings mentioned should have that kind of obvious effect. Maybe the source of the movie was having problems with its sound.

I would turn off all options and restore all settings to default and see what happens. I suspect no big change.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Seems reasonable to me.
Another option is for you (singular or plural) to use headphones. smile.gif

I was thinking of buying wireless headphones for discreet listening. I even tried hooking up my computer speakers to my TV, but it doesn't have a headphone jack. Only the Samsung in my living room has one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

None of the settings mentioned should have that kind of obvious effect. Maybe the source of the movie was having problems with its sound.
I would turn off all options and restore all settings to default and see what happens. I suspect no big change.

I'll try resetting all options. If the same thing happens, I'll just borrow my friend's version of the movie and see if the same thing happens. Thanks.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Try turning Dynamic Compression OFF and Steady Sound OFF... The problem with these features is some of the ones that aren't developed as well don't function as intended. My old AVR had one of those Steady Volume settings and if it was set to ON it would actually attenuate the sound too early and it was noticable not pleasant at all. Turned it OFF and all was well. Now from my experience Audyssey has their tech down right and their features work as they say they should.

Shawn
post #6 of 6 Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Try turning Dynamic Compression OFF and Steady Sound OFF... The problem with these features is some of the ones that aren't developed as well don't function as intended. My old AVR had one of those Steady Volume settings and if it was set to ON it would actually attenuate the sound too early and it was noticable not pleasant at all. Turned it OFF and all was well. Now from my experience Audyssey has their tech down right and their features work as they say they should.

Thanks. I tried that and it corrected the audio dropout. Now the dynamic range is too pronounced; low dialogue, super loud explosions. I guess that's what happens when you use your TV's speakers since there's no center speaker.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page