Which Audio setup should I use? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
DaKeatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because of new neighbors above and below me, I won't be using the surround sound system in my bedroom anymore. I'll instead be using the TV's speakers.

TV: Sony Bravia KDL40EX400
Blu-ray Player: Samsung BD-P1500

Today was the first day I watched a movie without my surround sound. I watched the movie Drive. I used the TV's speakers and experienced a slight audio dropout from time to time (the audio would suddenly get real low for a second before returning back to normal).
These were the current audio setting on my blu-ray player...
PCM: On
PCM Downsampling: On
Dynamic Compression: On
Also, on my TV's audio settings, I had 'Steady Sound' on.

I'm sure one or more of the above settings aren't right. Any ideas on which setting(s) are wrong? Thanks a lot!
DaKeatz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OtherSongs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKeatz View Post

Because of new neighbors above and below me, I won't be using the surround sound system in my bedroom anymore. I'll instead be using the TV's speakers.

Seems reasonable to me.

Another option is for you (singular or plural) to use headphones. smile.gif

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

OtherSongs is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKeatz View Post

Because of new neighbors above and below me, I won't be using the surround sound system in my bedroom anymore. I'll instead be using the TV's speakers.

TV: Sony Bravia KDL40EX400
Blu-ray Player: Samsung BD-P1500

Today was the first day I watched a movie without my surround sound. I watched the movie Drive. I used the TV's speakers and experienced a slight audio dropout from time to time (the audio would suddenly get real low for a second before returning back to normal).
These were the current audio setting on my blu-ray player...
PCM: On
PCM Downsampling: On
Dynamic Compression: On
Also, on my TV's audio settings, I had 'Steady Sound' on.

I'm sure one or more of the above settings aren't right. Any ideas on which setting(s) are wrong? Thanks a lot!

None of the settings mentioned should have that kind of obvious effect. Maybe the source of the movie was having problems with its sound.

I would turn off all options and restore all settings to default and see what happens. I suspect no big change.
arnyk is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
DaKeatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Seems reasonable to me.
Another option is for you (singular or plural) to use headphones. smile.gif

I was thinking of buying wireless headphones for discreet listening. I even tried hooking up my computer speakers to my TV, but it doesn't have a headphone jack. Only the Samsung in my living room has one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

None of the settings mentioned should have that kind of obvious effect. Maybe the source of the movie was having problems with its sound.
I would turn off all options and restore all settings to default and see what happens. I suspect no big change.

I'll try resetting all options. If the same thing happens, I'll just borrow my friend's version of the movie and see if the same thing happens. Thanks.
DaKeatz is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flickhtguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 2,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Try turning Dynamic Compression OFF and Steady Sound OFF... The problem with these features is some of the ones that aren't developed as well don't function as intended. My old AVR had one of those Steady Volume settings and if it was set to ON it would actually attenuate the sound too early and it was noticable not pleasant at all. Turned it OFF and all was well. Now from my experience Audyssey has their tech down right and their features work as they say they should.

Shawn
flickhtguru is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
DaKeatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Try turning Dynamic Compression OFF and Steady Sound OFF... The problem with these features is some of the ones that aren't developed as well don't function as intended. My old AVR had one of those Steady Volume settings and if it was set to ON it would actually attenuate the sound too early and it was noticable not pleasant at all. Turned it OFF and all was well. Now from my experience Audyssey has their tech down right and their features work as they say they should.

Thanks. I tried that and it corrected the audio dropout. Now the dynamic range is too pronounced; low dialogue, super loud explosions. I guess that's what happens when you use your TV's speakers since there's no center speaker.
DaKeatz is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off