Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
DAB
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Q? Regarding Subwoofer – On- or – OFF while calibrating a 5.1 MCA setup.

I recalibrated my 5.1 MCA system {HDMI>Video}.  So after two different

sets of dB numbers I had to rethink.  I thought should you calibrate your system with Sub >Off in the DVD player and physically>Off on the Sub. Just so no cross over from the test disc and just better accuracy in getting the Sub dialed in. Calibrate the Sub. separately

Trail #1:  I calibrate the 5. speakers  with the Sub >Off and got one set of dB for each speaker

Trial #2 Calibrated the 5.1 system with Sub>On and got a different set of dB. – Usually lower dB for each speaker.

Or because, I set the Sub to>Off ,  the Calibration disc redirected some bass/LFE to the other speaker channels. Thinking there was not going to be a Sub channel in this setup/calibration so it just redirected the Sub’s dBs to the other channels. FL/FR-C.

• Using an Oppo 95- speaker trims in the player. Denon 3803- master volume                                             -13dB. Extended –In channels at _0_  . RS-SPL mounted on a tripod.
  • AIX calibration disc. 5.1 LPCM

Thanks,

DAB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 286
You normally want the effect of the subs and mains together, plus the cal progam typically "pings" each speaker seperately. Both argue for leaving the sub on when you do the cal so it is calibrated as a system.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 3 Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

Q? Regarding Subwoofer – On- or – OFF while calibrating a 5.1 MCA setup.
I recalibrated my 5.1 MCA system {HDMI>Video}.  So after two different
sets of dB numbers I had to rethink.  I thought should you calibrate your system with Sub >Off in the DVD player and physically>Off on the Sub. Just so no cross over from the test disc and just better accuracy in getting the Sub dialed in. Calibrate the Sub. separately
Trail #1:  I calibrate the 5. speakers  with the Sub >Off and got one set of dB for each speaker
 Trial #2 Calibrated the 5.1 system with Sub>On and got a different set of dB. – Usually lower dB for each speaker.

Or because, I set the Sub to>Off ,  the Calibration disc redirected some bass/LFE to the other speaker channels. Thinking there was not going to be a Sub channel in this setup/calibration so it just redirected the Sub’s dBs to the other channels. FL/FR-C.
  • Using an Oppo 95- speaker trims in the player. Denon 3803- master volume                                             -13dB. Extended –In channels at _0_  . RS-SPL mounted on a tripod.
  • AIX calibration disc. 5.1 LPCM

Thanks,
DAB

How do you listen to this system? Sub on, or sub off?

You should calibrate the system that you actually listen to, no? ;-)
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page