Tweeter problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to the technical part of audio world. Around 1 year ago I bought a Harman/kardon hk3490 and a pair of infinity primus 360 and today when I played them I have noticed that tweeters ain't working. What to do to diagnose the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzolt View Post

I am new to the technical part of audio world. Around 1 year ago I bought a Harman/kardon hk3490 and a pair of infinity primus 360 and today when I played them I have noticed that tweeters ain't working. What to do to diagnose the problem?

How do you know that the tweeters aren't working?
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Yeah and also if the tweeters really aren't working. Its probably either the tweeter itself or the crossover.

Shawn
post #4 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
We'll the tweeters aren't making any sound at all on both speakers. I'm going to find a small speaker to swap it with the tower speaker and see if there are coming any signals. If there is some noise after swapping speakers out that means tweeters are gone, if not than the crossover?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:

We'll the tweeters aren't making any sound at all on both speakers. I'm going to find a small speaker to swap it with the tower speaker and see if there are coming any signals. If there is some noise after swapping speakers out that means tweeters are gone, if not than the crossover?

IME tweeters often don't make a lot of noise unless you are playing sound with a lot of treble or a noise such as the noise betweeen stations on FM. The woofer usually makes quite a bit of sound and masks the sound of the tweeter unless you put your ears close to just the tweeter.

The most common reason for dead tweeters is user abuse.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:

Doubt that it is the crossover. Best way to diagnose this is to unscrew the tweeter and using an ohmmeter. Here is a nice video showing that if you are not familiar with this test:

For now, move your ear in front of it and play some rock music. If nothing seems to come out, it is likely damaged.

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
There are 2 things at play here. First is exactly what is the problem (as others have said) is the tweeter or the crossover.

NEXT (and often forgotten) is what CAUSED the problem.

This can be a bit harder.

Let's say the tweeter is damaged/open defective-whatever you want to call it. So you replace it. Does that mean the problem is "fixed"?

Well sound may come out, but is it the "right sound". Sometimes a tweeter failure will be CAUSED by a crossover failure. Simply replacing the tweeter will get the sound back-for a little while.

But if the crossover is the root of the problem-then the new tweeters will fail. If the crossover is allowing to much low freq (usually a shorted series cap) to get to the tweeter-that could be the REAL problem.

Hopefully it is something simple-but that is not always the case-and needs some more investigation.

I would take a very close look at the crossover for parts that are discolored-enlarged-cracked etc. That could bve some clues.

Or it could be that you simply turned it up to loud for to long and burnt the voice coils. Then replacing the tweeters will fix the problem.

Be forwarded that if you try to use a different tweeter than what the crossover is designed for-the result (sonically) may be very different than the original design. Even if you use "better" tweeters. Better means they are not the same-so the freq response-level etc will be different.

They may be "better", but not better in YOUR cabinet. Just something to consider. The crossover was designed for the particular tweeter that are in it. Others will be different. How different? It depends on a lot of various factors.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page