HTPC low sound output driving me crazy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,
I have a HTPC that's giving me disapointingly low sound output, compared to my other main source (digital STB)

Here's what I have:
Samsung plasma 59"
Cisco PVR 8642
Harman Kardon HK3490 AV receiver
HTPC running Windows7, with ASUS P5QL-EM mb, everything is "onboard"

When I watch tv, The Cisco PVR connects to the tv with hdmi cable, then sound goes out through optical cable back to HK receiver
I am getting great sound quality & output. Receiver has volume range from -75db to +10db
A good everyday listening volume is around -35db, which I can crank up to -20 or even -15 for glorious sound

When I watch content from the computer, it goes out of the computer m/b through hdmi to the tv
NB: Unfortunately, I can't use the hdmi sound because of LOUD statics pops (a flaw of this motherboard that has been often reported by many but never fixed by any ASUS updates
I therefore run a 3.5mm cable out of the built-in audio card straight to av receiver

Sound quality is a notch or two below but still acceptable, however sound output is MUCH lower
To get about the same normal listening level as with the PVR, it needs a -15db adjustment on receiver

Why do I seem to get that huge sound output difference (20db or so) between computer & digital cable

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

P4H

My setup:
TV: Samsung plasma 59" pn59d550, DVR: Cisco 8642HD, HTPC: Acer Aspire E1-570,
Peachtree audio DAC-iT, Logitech Harmony 650 remote, Logitech MediaBoard Pro Bluetooth k/b
Receiver: Harman Kardon HK 3490, Speakers: Mission m34i + Mission MS10 sub, Nexus 7 2nd gen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Turn up the volume in the PC audio mixer.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Obviously, the Windows volume was already set to max. All effects/improvments are disabled.
Also individual applications (for music and videos) have their own respective vol.set to max.

On a side note, I remember that when I upgraded another computer from XP to Win7, the same hardwared pc sounded significantly louder with XP.
Also, please note I have all the latest drivers installed & check regularly for any updates
I sometime wonder if WIndows7 has a general issue with overall sound volume

My setup:
Peachtree audio DAC-iT, Logitech Harmony 650 remote, Logitech MediaBoard Pro Bluetooth k/b
Receiver: Harman Kardon HK 3490, Speakers: Mission m34i + Mission MS10 sub, Nexus 7 2nd gen
Old 11-17-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Is the level the same with HDMI from the PC? I know it has noise but that aside, is the level higher there? Alternatively, your motherboard has SPDIF digital output. Have you tried using that?

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
Old 11-17-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleh4help View Post

Obviously, the Windows volume was already set to max. All effects/improvments are disabled.
Also individual applications (for music and videos) have their own respective vol.set to max.

On a side note, I remember that when I upgraded another computer from XP to Win7, the same hardwared pc sounded significantly louder with XP.
Also, please note I have all the latest drivers installed & check regularly for any updates

Going by your first posting, you are not running DD 5.1 to your AVR? Just 2.0 PCM?
Old 11-17-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

To J Palmer: If by pcm 2.0, you mean stereo sound, yes, my receiver is connected to a pair of big speakers plus a sub

To Amir, I will try hdmi sound again soon but only for a short time (the "pops" than comes out of it scare me that it'll damage something)
As for spdif, I have looked for it to no avail, are you sure I am supposed to have this?

I would also have another option, I have a sound blaster x-fi xtreme sound card laying around (w/ optical audio out connection); I will give that a try as well
Thing is my AV receiver has only one optical audio, &? it is already in use from the tv out
If I go that way, I will need to downgrade by going rca from pvr to receiver

Thanks

My setup:
Old 11-17-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Alternatively, your motherboard has SPDIF digital output. Have you tried using that?

I figured why I was not seeing this connector on the computer back panel, it's not there.
There is a place right on the motherboard, but I would need some kind of accessory interface to go from the mb to front or rear panel

I will need to check availability of this at my favorite computer components store

My setup:
Old 11-17-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There is actually, in sound properties, communication tab, but mine was already set at " do nothing"frown.gif

My setup:
Old 11-17-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To Amir, I will try hdmi sound again soon but only for a short time (the "pops" than comes out of it scare me that it'll damage something)
As for spdif, I have looked for it to no avail, are you sure I am supposed to have this?
Well, that is what the spec says: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5QLEM/#specifications

"Realtek ALC1200 8-Channel High-Definition Audio CODEC
Support Jack-Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-streaming
Support S/PDIF out interface "

Look at the manual, this is on a header on the motherboard. So you need a cable to bring it out to the back of the machine to connect to it. It is a coax SPDIF and not optical so if you don't have that input, it is not an option.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To J Palmer: If by pcm 2.0, you mean stereo sound, yes, my receiver is connected to a pair of big speakers plus a sub

Thanks

From what I have read here on AVS, Samsung TV's send DD 5.1 to an AVR via optical only when you use the Off Air Tuner. For all other sources, you only get a stereo output via optical regardless of the input.

Also since you are downmixing audio to 2 channel analog output for content being played on your PC, perhaps that is the reason your volume levels are lower than usual. I am still using Winddows XP, so I can not help you out with what Windows 7 does to audio.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks
I will do further testing this morning & will update

I have questions about S/PDIF coax connection. I have never used that either on pc's, or anything else for that matter.
But, I see my Cisco 8642 PVR is equipped with such an output; it is within the cluster of components-out jacks & actually looks just like a standard RCA jack, apart from being orange in color

While it is a only a single jack, will it carry stereo sound?
And if so, are there any quality differences to be expected between S/PDIF coax and regular white/red rca audio outs?

If the SoundBlaster sound card (equipped with optical audio) checks out ok for my pc, I could run S/PDIF coax from the pvr
(Because again, my AV receiver has only one optical audio input, & I am pretty sure it also has coax-in

My setup:
Old 11-18-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:

Thanks
I will do further testing this morning & will update

I have questions about S/PDIF coax connection. I have never used that either on pc's, or anything else for that matter.
But, I see my Cisco 8642 PVR is equipped with such an output; it is within the cluster of components-out jacks & actually looks just like a standard RCA jack, apart from being orange in color

While it is a only a single jack, will it carry stereo sound?

Yes. Not only can a single digital cable carry stereo sound, it can also handle multichannel (e.g. 5.1 or 7.1) . And, since using it means that your music will be kept in the digital domain, this is generally the way to go for sound quality.

Quote:
And if so, are there any quality differences to be expected between S/PDIF coax and regular white/red rca audio outs?

I can't promise that digital will sound better than good analog, but if either sounds better it will most likely be the digtial.
Quote:
If the SoundBlaster sound card (equipped with optical audio) checks out ok for my pc, I could run S/PDIF coax from the pvr
(Because again, my AV receiver has only one optical audio input, & I am pretty sure it also has coax-in

(1) You could condescend to actually look at the back side of your AVR.

(2) You could spend a second or two and find your AVR's user manual, either already in your posession or online.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

(2) You could spend a second or two and find your AVR's user manual, either already in your posession or online.

By "I am pretty sure it also has coax-in", it meant I was ABOUT to disconnect everything to gain access & actually look at the back panel
My question beforehand was about what to expect out of spdif over regular rca, which you managed to answer (thanks)

BTW, I realize I am not an a/v expert (hence my visit on this fine website), but it doesn't mean you need to show off your little condescending attitude

My setup:
Old 11-18-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

By "I am pretty sure it also has coax-in", it meant I was ABOUT to disconnect everything to gain access & actually look at the back panel
My question beforehand was about what to expect out of spdif over regular rca, which you managed to answer (thanks)

BTW, I realize I am not an a/v expert (hence my visit on this fine website), but it doesn't mean you need to show off your little condescending attitude

I feel perfectly free to poke a little fun at people who are obviously literate and have internet access because they are posting, but don't take even one second to research their own situation.

I've done people's legwork for them here 100s if not 1000s of times. As soon as you have a track record to compare, I might actually condescend to take your preferences in this matter seriously! ;-)
Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

I am stuck
I have installed sound blaster card in my pc, connected it with optical straight to av receiver, it works fine, actually better sound quality than before, but not louder
But that's not my immediate concern

In order to do the above, I had to change how to send the sound from cisco pvr to HK receiver, so I went out & bought spdif coax; I do not get any sound that way
Yes, I am aware I need to switch input on the receiver & the harman kardon is a little funky in that respect
Each of the video1-2-3 inputs have 3 modes each, analog, optical & coaxial; From the front panel, one need to press video1 and tape monitor simultaneously to cycle through analog/optic/coax
video1/analog, video1/optica, /video1/coaxial
video2/analog, video2/optica, /video2/coaxial
video3/analog, video3/optica, /video3/coaxial

I am "guessing" I need to be on video-x/coax, but neither video 1, 2 or 3 gives any sound when coax mode is chosen

I have tried to call HK tech support but had to leave a message
The user guide is of no assistance

Wondering if any one of you are familiar with this issue

My setup:
Old 11-18-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am stuck
I have installed sound blaster card in my pc, connected it with optical straight to av receiver, it works fine, actually better sound quality than before, but not louder
In order to do the above, I had to change how to send the sound from cisco pvr to HK receiver, so I went out & bought spdif coax; I do not get any sound that way
Yes, I am aware I need to switch input on the receiver & the harman kardon is a little funky in that respect
Each of the video1-2-3 inputs have 3 modes each, analog, optical & coaxial; From the front panel, one need to press video1 and tape monitor simultaneously to cycle through analog/optic/coax
I am "guessing" I need to be on video-x/coax, but neither video 1, 2 or 3 gives any sound when coax mode is chosen
First asking a trivial question smile.gif. Which connector did you use on the Cisco? The right connection is the top right orange (?) one that says "Digital Audio" on it. It is an RCA connector just like the video connectors. If this is right, do you have any other sources with coax that you can test with, e.g. a DVD player? Trying to rule out the Cisco not outputting audio over this connection.

BTW, on your original problem, J_Palmer may be on the right track. What happens when you play stereo music on your PC? Are the levels just as low?

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Amir,
yes, on the back of the Cisco pvr I am on the orange jack labelled digital audio out, my cable then goes straight to the back of the HK receiver orange jack labelled digital audio in coaxial.
I do not have another source to try at the moment, but I guess I could borrow a neighboor's

I work for a cable co that distributes Cisco 4642/8642 and know for a fact all audio outputs are supposed to be active (the previous generation pvr Scientific Atlanta 8300 had a "feature" that would de-activate other outputs when hdmi was used)
Quote:

BTW, on your original problem, J_Palmer may be on the right track. What happens when you play stereo music on your PC? Are the levels just as low?

If you mean hdmi sound from the pc, it was indeed pretty much same level as with analog audio out

My setup:
Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am stuck

The two most common causes of loss of digital connection are:

(1) The output port on the sending device needs to be enabled or configured.

(2) The output port is sending a surround signal but the receiving device is only configured for stereo.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

(2) The output port is sending a surround signal but the receiving device is only configured for stereo.

You might be on to something as I have googled hk 3490 coaxial audio input no sound & it seems I am not the only one with this issue
Same as the otherguy with similar problem, my receiver displays NON-PCM when set to what I beleive to be proper input

I have left a detailed voice message to HK Tech support, I am wating for their answer
In the meantime, I am running a pair of rca from pvr to receiver so I can at least watch and hear this afternoon's game

My setup:
Old 11-18-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

(1) The output port on the sending device needs to be enabled or configured.

The Cisco 8642 I have has no sound configuration/options apart from sound being controlled by tv or cable box
The OS is OCAP custom made to my cable provider, so you may see optionson your side
Again, this box is supposed to have all its audio outputs enabled simultaneously

Out of curiosity, I just tried running optical audio from pvr to receiver, no sound
Before all of this, my sound was carried from pvr to the tv through hdmi, then from tv to receiver with optical audio & it worked fine

My next step would be to temporarly remove hdmi cable and go component (red blue green only) from pvr to tv, & either spdif or optical from pvr to receiver
If one or both of these works, it is a bug with the pvr I will need to report

My setup:
Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You might be on to something as I have googled hk 3490 coaxial audio input no sound & it seems I am not the only one with this issue
Same as the otherguy with similar problem, my receiver displays NON-PCM when set to what I beleive to be proper input
I have left a detailed voice message to HK Tech support, I am wating for their answer
In the meantime, I am running a pair of rca from pvr to receiver so I can at least watch and hear this afternoon's game
Ah. Can you change the output format on the DVR to simply be stereo? The documentation is not clear as to whether it allows it but hopefully it does.

On my earlier question, no I did not mean to use HDMI. With whatever connection you have from the PC, compare the level from music to videos from the PC. See if they are the same or music is louder. If music is louder, then we may have figured this out smile.gif.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Adding on, your AVR is only a stereo device and hence can't decode the surround format that is sent by DVR (Dobly Digital). So you need to force the DVR to be in two channel mode.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

No, as per my post #20, there are no user-accessible audio options on this pvr
For the other question, I am getting same output with various software, none stand out with a higher/lower output than another (this is what you meant?)

My setup:
Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Adding on, your AVR is only a stereo device and hence can't decode the surround format that is sent by DVR (Dobly Digital). So you need to force the DVR to be in two channel mode.

But it does have both optical and coaxial audio input, the former working if sound was sent to tv first (w/hdmi), then back to receiver w/optical
Would that mean my tv was "downmixing" the sound back to the receiver? If so, it certainly was not voluntary set that way on my behalf

My setup:
Old 11-18-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Would that mean my tv was "downmixing" the sound back to the receiver?

I just checked out the audio options on the samsung tv & for some reason, spdif out is set to PCM, the other choice being Dolby

That leaves me with putting back the sound the way it was in the first place for tv, & getting this spdif interface thing at the computer component store

My setup:
Old 11-18-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No, as per my post #20, there are no user-accessible audio options on this pvr
I read this in the manual. It seems to have such an option:

Press SETTINGS twice on the remote control to open the General Settings menu.
2. Press MOVE UP or MOVE DOWN to select the option Audio: Digital Out.
3. Press MOVE RIGHT to select Dolby Digital. This setting will send Dolby Digital audio to the HDMI, DIGITAL AUDIO
OUT, and OPTICAL AUDIO OUT connectors on the set-top.

Is there an option other than Dolby Digital? If so, what is it?
Quote:
For the other question, I am getting same output with various software, none stand out with a higher/lower output than another (this is what you meant?)
No, I am not asking to use other software. I am asking to play stereo music. Play a CD for example. And see if it is louder.

The issue here is that you don't have a surround sound AVR. So what goes into it if you have surround music is a converted version to stereo. There is a right way to do that which your TV seems to be doing as it converts to PCM/stereo. On the PC, it is possible that the main center channel that has the voice is being thrown out. Or else it is not being converted properly.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Amir, I assure you my box does not have ANY user accessible audio options because it is a custom built (by and for my cableprovider) OCAP (OpenCable Application Platform) OS running inside; standard out of the box instructions do not apply

That being said I found a way to access what is called the "maintenance pages" of my box, again there are no actions possible in there but in the audio section, it says my box is sending out LPCM un-compressed audio)

This is really odd

My setup:
Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, I am not asking to use other software. I am asking to play stereo music. Play a CD for example. And see if it is louder..

Sorry about that, english is not my primary language wink.gif

The only CD or DVD I can listen to would play from the pc itself, as I have no need for a separate dvd payer, so if we agree this is what you mean, I could pop a cd in the computer and look for a gain over mp3's

My setup:
Old 11-18-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Amir, I assure you my box does not have ANY user accessible audio options because it is a custom built (by and for my cableprovider) OCAP (OpenCable Application Platform) OS running inside; standard out of the box instructions do not apply
Oh. I looked up what I post from its manual. Has your CableCo removed that part of the menu?

Here is the manual I was looking at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/at_home/Set-Tops/8000_STTs/4026882B.pdf
Quote:
That being said I found a way to access what is called the "maintenance pages" of my box, again there are no actions possible in there but in the audio section, it says my box is sending out LPCM un-compressed audio)
This is really odd
That is odd.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital