Possible upgrade from 5.1 to 7.1 - rear surround question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm thinking of upgrading to a 7.1 system but I need some advice on whether its worthwhile or not.

My couch is about 3 feet from the back wall. The side surrounds will be mounted on the back wall at an angle of 110 degrees as per Dolby. They are positioned about 8 feet to the left and right of the main listening area.

Would adding surround rears on the back wall make sense? The surround sides would be angled to the listening position and the surround rears would be at the location Dolby recommends but they wouldnt be further back than the surround sides because they will be on the mounted on the back wall also.

Also, in regards to the surround sides, the will be mounted about 3 feet above the listening position. Ceiling height is about 13 -14' feet so I could go higher. Do I need to tilt the speakers down towards the listening area or keep them level and have them fire above my seating position?

Thanks for the help

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-18-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
I'd move the surrounds to the sides of the LP and mount rear surrounds in your current surround positions, otherwise leave it in 5 channel configuration as is. Maybe add a center rear surround instead. I would recommend aiming your speakers towards the LP in any case. I have a tall vaulted ceiling but have my surrounds and rear surrounds mounted about 8 feet at the wall/ceiling juncture but angled towards the LP as best I can in my 7.3 setup.

post #3 of 3 Old 11-18-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks. Ya I forgot to mention I cant mount the side surrounds at 90 degrees due to a window on one side and a split level on the other.

looks like I will just stick with a 5.1. I was a bit excited but doesnt seem like a 7.1 will work in my situation.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page