Audio System HTIB and Soundbar Mash-Up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-18-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, could do with some help.

Just put my Panasonic 65GT50 up on the wall.
I already have a Panasonic SC-BTT70 HTIB so I removed the base and mounted the rest of the whole skinny tower on the wall which is 21/2" longer top and bottom so that looks sweet as it is in a limited small space. The centre speaker is only 17" long and will look really stooo-pid if I put it up under the 65" TV!

So I saw a Panasonic SC-HTB550 system which can configure the versatile vertical left and right speakers together to form one horizontal centre soundbar.
I managed to score JUST the speakers and they are on their way, so I want to replace the centre speaker of the 770 with the sounbar config of the 550 which should be a nice aesthetic balance I hope.

Was uneducated about the audio system math, so glad they aren't here yet to set up to blow something up, so I have been doing some homework.

Here is where I need some help please.

All the speakers from the 770 are 3 ohms. The 2 speakers from the 550 are 6 ohms.
I know that if I wire them in parallel that the ohms will now match so I am happy with that... I think.

I am not quite sure about the watts.
The amp specs from the manual of the 770 is 1000W total, centre channel is FTC=90W / RMS=180W.
From the manual for the 550 I can't find the specs for the actual speakers, but the amp specs are Front ch (L,R ch) {each?} FTC=25W / RMS=60W, don't know if that helps.

Is the wattage of the 770 amp too much for the paralleled 550 speakers at 180/60, or do I double the wattage because of the single channel 770 going into the two 550's so it would be 180/120 or it doesn't matter, or is it overpowered.
With the HTIB I have individual channel control to balance if that helps if I can adjust it in relation to the other speakers.

Doing my homework it was suggested that an amp should be about 50% more than the speakers and so I would be good at 180/120 ?!?

Have I got it right or am I going to blow something up, or got it all totally wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-19-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by doe_eyed_gazelle View Post

Hey guys, could do with some help.

Just put my Panasonic 65GT50 up on the wall.
I already have a Panasonic SC-BTT70 HTIB so I removed the base and mounted the rest of the whole skinny tower on the wall which is 21/2" longer top and bottom so that looks sweet as it is in a limited small space. The centre speaker is only 17" long and will look really stooo-pid if I put it up under the 65" TV!

So I saw a Panasonic SC-HTB550 system which can configure the versatile vertical left and right speakers together to form one horizontal centre soundbar.
I managed to score JUST the speakers and they are on their way, so I want to replace the centre speaker of the 770 with the sounbar config of the 550 which should be a nice aesthetic balance I hope.

Was uneducated about the audio system math, so glad they aren't here yet to set up to blow something up, so I have been doing some homework.

Here is where I need some help please.

All the speakers from the 770 are 3 ohms. The 2 speakers from the 550 are 6 ohms.
I know that if I wire them in parallel that the ohms will now match so I am happy with that... I think.

No, no, no! You don't wire the speakers in a multichannel or even stereo system all in parallel.

You wire each speaker to an appropriate terminal on the AVR.

If you have two speakers with the same role (e.g. left front), you put one in a closet or the dust bin. ;-)

As far as wattages go, you probably don't need to sweat it. Speakers generally start sounding nasty if you hit them with too much power, so as long as you stick with volume settings where your system sounds good, you are probably going to be OK.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page