Help Me Set up My System: Room "Schematic" Inside - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All:

I would love to do a full surround (5.1) but I'm not sure it would be worthwhile with my restrictions and room size. I've attached a "schematic" done in paint to show where things are. The TV and floor speakers must go there. The sitting position must remain there, against the wall. The Surround Speakers must be affixed to the wall. One in the corner, and one just above the sitting position, maybe a little bit offset if I'm lucky. The sub could go either by the fronts or by the sitting position. Keep in mind that the room is quite small. Right now I have my computer speakers (just the usual small 2.1 ~150$ setup) in place in the attached dining room (shown in the schematic) and it fills the (living) room with sound quite nicely. This experience has led me to doubt the validity of the full 5.1 system. My questions are:

1.) Which sub location is optimal? Pretty sure it's number 2 but wanted to double check.
2.) Would it be worthwhile to get surrounds with this sort of layout? Will I really get the "surround sound experience?"
3.) If the answer to number 2 is "no," is it worthwhile to get a center channel speaker? I've read and heard "yes" but have no real experience myself.

Appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks.

I already have (not yet received or setup):
-Yamaha RX-V373 AVR
-Pair of Klipsch floorstanding speakers (handed down from my uncle, not sure of the model)
-Klipsch Reference RW12D subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Is there a reason you didn't place the main speakers in front of the wall at right, pointing toward the left? That would be a much better arrangement. Sitting directly in front of a reflecting wall is the single worst place, acoustically.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

The couch takes up that entire wall (the vertical line on the right), so the mains won't fit along that wall. Just so I'm clear, you are suggesting to put my mains on either side of the couch (basically beside/behind the sitting position) and pointing into the room?

Thanks for the response.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think he means to put your mains and tv on the right wall and turn the couch around to face those. Unless the couch can be flipped 180 degrees and put as far from the right wall as possible, you are going to have a compromised set up. If you have to keep the mains where they are, I would move your surrounds to the side walls pointing toward the couch. Can you provide a picture of the room?
post #5 of 14 Old 11-20-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I will snap some today. Basically the couch has to be on that wall because there is a fire place (the angled wall) with a "cutout" for the tv. I'll provide pics tonight. As for the side walls, I could do that on teh wall between the right one and the angled one, but the other "wall" is actually an open space where the kitchen is attached. I'll take a bunch of pics to give you guys a better idea of the room setup so you all can help me setup my system in the best possible way with my restrictions. Appreciate it guys.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post

the other "wall" is actually an open space

A more accurate drawing will probably be more useful than photos.

--Ethan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 Old 11-21-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Ok here is a better schematic as well as actual photos.

The viewing position will be in the "chaise" of the couch. As you can see I sort of have to keep my TV where it is because the room was designed that way. To me it seems logical to put the mains on either side of the tv/fireplace. Sub can fit either by the front door or by the right main (when viewing the tv). What are your guys' thoughts?
post #8 of 14 Old 11-21-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Placing L/R speakers on either side of the fireplace will barely give you any stereo separation in the front soundstage. Personally, I would get a good quality soundbar and place it under the TV for the left/centre/right channels. I would then place a couple of surrounds high up in the back corners of the room (left surround would go on the far side of the door), aimed towards at the main listening position (chaise). Placing the surrounds in the back tri-corners of the room will help diffuse the sound and help with envelopment. The wide spread will help maintain stereo separation in the surround field.

Sanjay
post #9 of 14 Old 11-21-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Placing L/R speakers on either side of the fireplace will barely give you any stereo separation in the front soundstage. Personally, I would get a good quality soundbar and place it under the TV for the left/centre/right channels. I would then place a couple of surrounds high up in the back corners of the room (left surround would go on the far side of the door), aimed towards at the main listening position (chaise). Placing the surrounds in the back tri-corners of the room will help diffuse the sound and help with envelopment. The wide spread will help maintain stereo separation in the surround field.

Thanks for the suggestion! I agree with your point on the rears. Interesting thought on the sound bar, and I see your point. The thing is, I already have floor speakers but I guess I don't HAVE to use them.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Interesting thought on the sound bar, and I see your point. The thing is, I already have floor speakers but I guess I don't HAVE to use them.
Use 'em if you got 'em. Down the road, if you want a cleaner look, you can swap the floor speakers for a sound bar (since it won't really shrink your soundstage). In the mean time, make use of what you already have.

Sanjay
post #11 of 14 Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Actually the foot print is a concern. As you can see I don't have much space to work with. I still need to setup a little shelf system somewhere to house the HTPC, PS3, and AVR. I'm not very familiar with soundbars, would it plug into 3 'ports' on the AVR?
post #12 of 14 Old 11-21-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is a "Help Me Choose a Soundbar" thread in the sound bar section of this forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357545/official-help-me-choose-a-soundbar-thread

Post your restrictions (width, price, etc) and let them know that you just want to use it for your three front channels, and one of the experts there should be able to help you.

Sanjay
post #13 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok here is a better schematic as well as actual photos.

Wow, tough room. Do you have a spare bedroom? biggrin.gif

--Ethan

post #14 of 14 Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

I do. But really want to make it work downstairs. I'll work with the 2 floorstanding speakers and sub for now until I decide on the best solution. I'm thinking ceiling mounted fronts, a center at the tv, and rears as described by sdurani.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page