Room setup question - Im at a bit of an impass and could use some input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I currently have the following setup in my family room (all wall mounted):
4 x Klipsch RB 41 II
1 x Klipsch RC 42 II
1 x Klipsch SW110
1 x Samsung 60 inch LED

I really want to add another set of speakers (Klipsch RS 41 II) to get a 7.1 setup, but I'm not quite sure if its possible given my room dimensions. Here is a quick mockup of the current room

The two oval type shapes there are columns which are about 12 inches in diameter.
My first thought was to use speakers stands for the missing side channels, but that idea has been shot down for aesthetic reasons by my girlfriend. My other thought was to mount the side channels on the ceiling, but I'm not certain about how the sound field would be affected.

I have also debated adding front height channels but from what I have read they don't provide a massive benefit.

Thanks for having a look and I appreciate any and all feedback.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Is it possible to mount the RR surround to the column? And then move the LS forward to line up with the column.
Then add two more speakers to the back wall, just to the sides of the window.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

That was my original plan, but I wasn't sure if the speakers (rear and side) would be too close together to make enough of an impact to justify the cost.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
If the column isn't parallel to the couch, but further back, I don't think 7.1 would work too well for you.

Mounting on the ceiling might work if all the surrounds were mounted there, but you may get reflection issues from being that close, unless you went in-ceiling speakers. Hard to say without actually having the speaker up there. What receiver do you have? Might be more beneficial to go front height.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

If the column isn't parallel to the couch, but further back, I don't think 7.1 would work too well for you.
Mounting on the ceiling might work if all the surrounds were mounted there, but you may get reflection issues from being that close, unless you went in-ceiling speakers. Hard to say without actually having the speaker up there. What receiver do you have? Might be more beneficial to go front height.

I was thinking the same thing regarding front height. My only concern is that my fronts are bookshelves. I initially thought that I could just buy the RF 42 II from klipsch and add make the existing speakers the height channels. which leaves me with two concerns. Are the height channels really engaged that often? Reviews seem mixed on a few sites. The second concern is that my receiver (pioneer 925 (920 in the US) ) only has one cross over for all speakers (the bookshelves cross over at 87, and the RF 42 II cross over a bit below that). Is this an issue (I feel like im wasting the RF's)?