Hi, Not exactly sure which forum for this...so trying here 1st. ;-)
I am planning to put a set of speakers in my bathroom ceiling and another set in my bedroom ceiling. These are _only_ going to be used to play mp3s from an Apple Airport express.
I would like to install a physical 'knob' in the bathroom that would allow me to control the volume (it is true that I can still control the volume with an iPhone/ipad etc but I want a physical control to save me from having to mess with an electronic device.)
I want this knob to allow me to turn the volume all the way down and turn off the sound. (don't want to have any 'buzzing' coming thru the speakers)
I would also like to have a way (panel on the side or something like that) that would allow me to select if the sound is going to play in 1 room (1 set of speakers) or the other room (2nd set of speakers) or both.
Here is the setup I think will work:
1) Buy an Amp to put in the crawl space between the bathroom and bedroom. As the speakers in the ceiling will not be powered.....I have to have something to 'drive' them.
2) run some sort of control knob to a mount point in the bathroom.....this must be able to control the volume on the amp.
3) mount a 'switch box'. that would allow me to toggle which speakers get the sound from the amp.
1) Am I missing anything in the setup that is required?
2) Where can I find an amp (I don't want a full receiver as this will just be shoved in a crawl space) that will allow for a physical knob. Links would be much appreciated.
3) Any links to what I am calling a 'switch' above?
Consideration: I am not looking to install something like an advanced receiver with 'multi-zones' or something like that. I want something basic that just works. I would expect to leave the amp on all the time.
Sorry for the very basic questions. Thanks for any help you can provide.
My 'backup' plan for getting sound in the 2 rooms is just to install 2 different airport express units. 1 for the bedroom and 1 for the bathroom......but not sure if this would require an amp with more capabilities.