confusion reconnecting speakers, educate me - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-21-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For some reason, I decided to rewire my 7 year old RBH MC-6CT's, front towers in my 5.1 system in my living room, with new wires with banana plugs. (There were no concerns about performance, they've sounded fantastic since new - just trying to clean up some connections and use shorter wires.) When I disconnected the original wires, which were installed by a home theater installer when new, I found a strange wiring situation. He had used speaker wires with 4 conductors, with 2 twisted together to create 2 at each end, then connected into 2 posts on the speakers, the top ones I believe. The 2 pairs were combined into a single pair in the same manner on the receiver side as well.

What seems odd is there are no connecting straps between the upper and lower posts on the speakers, and from what I gather from the docs, maybe there should be, though RBH's documentation is very brief and unclear on connections. Is this true? I'm trying to connect new wires that are terminated with banana plugs at each end. I'm concerned that when I connect to either pair of posts (is top or bottom correct, or either?) that I'll be missing one end of the sound if they're not strapped together. Am I making any sense? If I'm right and they should be strapped together, can I simply rig up some jumper wire, or should I try to get a set of the originals from RBH, who would likely be happy to supply them? TIA for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
If the installer had two conductors into each terminal, both at the speaker and at the amp, all he's done is increase the amount of copper used in making the connection. If the wire used was of insufficient gauge for the load and length of wire, then what he did was important.

How long are the new wires, and what gauge?

Speakers with multiple sets of binding posts are configurable for bi-amping. The troubleshooting guide in the manual for the MC series speakers ( http://www.rbhsound.com/images/manuals/manual_mc.pdf ) explains that there are clips that link the sets of binding posts. When these clips are present, the same full range signal is delivered to the internal crossover network and filtered out to each of the drivers. Without the clips, you can drive the woofers from a different amp than the tweeter. This gives you more flexibility in the way you process and amplify your signals. If the clip is in place, it doesn't mater which set of posts you use.

HTH

Fred
post #3 of 5 Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Fred. I had seen that document, but not the troubleshooting section - I should have the clips and they're not present, so with only 2 posts connected, I'm either gettings mid/tweet or bass only. From the sound of it, I'm now getting mid/hi only. I've emailed RBH and asked them to send me 2 sets of the clips. Or should just rig up a couple of jumper wires made from speaker cable and call it a day?

Why the installer wired it up the way he did initially is a mystery. It's heavy-gauge wire, so there should have been no need to twist the 2 pairs together. The cables are only 8' each.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
was probably done to drop the wire from the twist and bi-amp the speaker.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-22-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Problem resolved. I crafted jumper cables from 12-gauge speaker wire and the sound is now proper and fantastic. I'm sure the speakers were hooked up properly at one time, but at some point I must have lost the clips when reconnecting them and have probably been dealing with upper ranges only for some time, with my sub and center channel somewhat covering for the loss and not making it totally obvious that there was something missing. Sound is definitely improved now, particularly music.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page