Pairing speakers and receivers?? Help please!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-25-2012, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanking whomever in advance! I have a NAD T 752 that I bought late 90s and looking to change it out for something new. I don't have the same budget I once had so I am looking at the Pioneer Elite VSX 42. I have a 5.1 setup with PSB Alpha T1's as my mains. I don't really ever push things very hard. Moderate to low levels are the norm for my beloved wife. Will this receiver be sufficient power for my needs? I have read all the match speakers with receiver articles and just don't get it! Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I'm sure those will work together just fine. The notion of "matching" speakers to a receiver is misguided IMO. As long as the speakers don't have an unusually low impedance, and the receiver can put out enough power, then any pairing should be fine.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 5 Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 AM

Liked: 60
What is your reason to throw out the NAD? I am using mainly ancient equipment, from a technics mini system to a quad 33/504 combo that is now almost 50 years old. Nothing wrong with vintage as long as it works.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

I'm sure those will work together just fine. The notion of "matching" speakers to a receiver is misguided IMO. As long as the speakers don't have an unusually low impedance, and the receiver can put out enough power, then any pairing should be fine.
--Ethan
Thanks Ethan! I have bought the new unit and all appears to be working beautifully. Appreciate you having taken the time.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

Generally, +1

The most important thing is that speaker/room matching is and has long been the far stronger issue.

I think that amp/speaker matching has been moot since the 1980s. It was very strong in the 1950s but by the 1960s most good tubed amps had low enough source impedances. The early SS amps resurrected the issue with limited capabilities to handle low impedance and reactive loads, but by the 1980s SS devices had caught up.

The whole issue of speaker/amp matching may be further modified by the fact that automatic system tuning (equalization) facilities are so common now that it may be harder to avoid them then to obtain them. They can correct for any residual amp/speaker matching issues.

I've had to reconsider my thoughts about class D amplifiers with class D outputs that had signfiicantly rising source impedance at high audible frequencies because there is a very good chance that the automated system tuner would adjust their effects out of existence. (Furthermore we're seeing more and more class D amps that avoid this problem the old fashioned way - they just don't have it.)
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page