Mental Disorder? Should I change my system - or am I paranoid? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-25-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

Like all of you - but of course not anywhere near of you - I like Audio, I like listening good / quality music / movie / sound. I'm a huge AVS fan.

Years ago I had this set ($300) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,22723,00.asp when I was a student. I remember spending hours every day with it.

Years passed, I started work, now I have money, so I got a system from the corner hi-fi shop. Spent couple of thousand dollars.

You wont believe me - but I hate it. I miss my old set smile.gif And this one is DTS, 5.1

Am I paranoid? smile.gif Or am I just old?

Want to ask you - do you think if I spend something 5-10k usd - can I be happy? Should I change my receiver only or whole system or only speakers?

Thank you very much all from now!

My new system:

marantz sr 6006
dali ikon 6 mk2 (front x2)
dali ikon 2 mk2 (rear x2)
dali ikon sub mk2
dali ikon vokal 2 mk2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushie View Post

do you think if I spend something 5-10k usd - can I be happy?

Probably not. First you have to determine the weakest links. Those are usually the speakers and room, and how it's all set up. If you post a photo of your room and speakers maybe we can be more specific.

--Ethan.

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 4 Old 11-26-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a Marantz SR7002 and completely love that receiver! In my case I added an emotica xpa-5 amp to it which improved sound some, but what exactly is it you hate about the new system? What is it lacking? Listen to Ethan, he's very highly regarded around here and I'll 2nd the fact that room makes the biggest difference in sound over the quality of hardware alone.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-26-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post

I have a Marantz SR7002 and completely love that receiver! In my case I added an emotica xpa-5 amp to it which improved sound some, but what exactly is it you hate about the new system? What is it lacking? Listen to Ethan, he's very highly regarded around here and I'll 2nd the fact that room makes the biggest difference in sound over the quality of hardware alone.

+1. First listen to Ethan. smile.gif

Then position your front L/R speakers as per the Dali Ikon Manuals says.

Qte

All Ikon speakers are designed to meet our wide dispersion principle, so they should not be angled towards the listening position, but be positioned parallel with the rear wall. By parallel positioning, the distortion in the main listening area will be lowered and the room integration will be better. The wide dispersion principle also ensures that sound is spread evenly within a large area in the listening room.

Unqte

Then place your Dali Ikon Center so as to face seated ear hight by tilting it in order to obtain best dialog intelligibility.

Then find the best place for your Dali Ikon surrounds at +/- 90 -110 degrees a bit above seated ear hight.

Then find the best place for your Dali Ikon sub by way of a subwoofer crawl.

Then take a deep look at your Marantz AVR. Run Audyssey MultEQ XT with all 8 mic positions. When done, set all speakers to "Small", set crossovers to 80 Hz. Engage Audyssey DynamicEQ.

And when all this is done: Sit back, grab a cold beer and enjoy!! cool.gif

Send a couple of photos of your setup for more fine tuning ideas by the gang!! wink.gif
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page