Speaker size setting on receiver help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just changed speakers in my theater. The main fronts are klipschorns and the center and surrounds are klipsch heresys. I've got the klipschorn set at large on my denon avr5700. I'm curious if I should set my center channel and surrounds to large as well since they are 3 way speakers with true subwoofers in them. I do have a separate sub woofer a nice large nht powered sub.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
When you have a subwoofer in your system , no matter what speakers u have , always set the speakers to small because the subwoofer is designed to play the bass , better then the woofers in your speakers. So all speakers to small , with a 80 hz crossover , so the sub plays 80hz and lower .
Old 11-26-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post

When you have a subwoofer in your system , no matter what speakers u have , always set the speakers to small because the subwoofer is designed to play the bass , better then the woofers in your speakers. So all speakers to small , with a 80 hz crossover , so the sub plays 80hz and lower .

+1. For more in-depth explanations here's a good read for Ya.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Since Klipschorns go down very low, I am a little surprised that you use a subwoofer.

I also use a NHT sub, however, and its bass is the tightest and cleanest I have ever heard.

I would not set the center and surrounds to large, however. This will result in bass coming from too many sources, and the phase problems will drive you crazy; it will sound like crap.

The center channel, in my experience, is best set to operate from 120 Hz up, no lower. As a matter of fact, I would bet you that your system would sound much better if you set it that way.

The surrounds should probably be set to roll off at 60 or 80 hz and go no lower.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Since Klipschorns go down very low, I am a little surprised that you use a subwoofer.
I also use a NHT sub, however, and its bass is the tightest and cleanest I have ever heard.

I am a little surprised that you are surprised and question the use of subwoofers. Please read the link I posted in my previous post for the better understanding on why to use subwoofers. smile.gif
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

i'm not... wink.gif read some of his other "theories"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 11-26-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartierusm View Post

...heresys...are 3 way speakers with true subwoofers in them.
Heresys don't have subwoofers, they have woofers. They start rolling off a bit above 100 Hz and are 3 dB down by a bit above 60 Hz. You need to set them to small to redirect frequencies below 80 Hz to the mains or the sub.

Whether you need a subwoofer or not depends on your preferences. The current Klipschorn is 4 dB down at 33 Hz and dropping like a rock. If you want anything approaching accuracy below that, you need a good subwoofer.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for the replies. I have to figure out why I don't emails saying there are new posts. Oh well something else I have to work on.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Ok riddle me this bat people, so I read that article linked above and I set all my speakers to small and movies sound better as its not muddled with bass from the front left and right speakers . Now when I listen to music in stereo I notice the lack of bass from the fronts and the bass is now coming from the subwoofer. I don't think this was the case when I had the fronts set to large. I think it sounded better having all the sound for music coming from the fronts only. So what to do, it wouldn't be a problem but the only way to program my denon is having it hooked up to a video source which it's not. I just hook it up with a long cord when I program it. I guess what I'll have to do it use an optical splitter to hook it up to its own source and program that to use the fronts as large.

Any thoughts.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

How low Klipsch horns go is partially dependent on the room they are in and how they are situated there, since the corner they are in is part of their horn. As a rule they start rolling off around 60 Hz or more. I only know one person who still has Kilipschorns and he has a large subwoofer built into his basement and ducted into his living room.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah for music I think just the fronts are best. I'll use an optical splitter to hook up another input.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok riddle me this bat people, so I read that article linked above and I set all my speakers to small and movies sound better as its not muddled with bass from the front left and right speakers . Now when I listen to music in stereo I notice the lack of bass from the fronts and the bass is now coming from the subwoofer. I don't think this was the case when I had the fronts set to large. I think it sounded better having all the sound for music coming from the fronts only. So what to do, it wouldn't be a problem but the only way to program my denon is having it hooked up to a video source which it's not. I just hook it up with a long cord when I program it. I guess what I'll have to do it use an optical splitter to hook it up to its own source and program that to use the fronts as large.
Any thoughts.

In that article it is mentioned that our ears loose directionality for bass below around 80 Hz. It doesn't matter whether it's film or music. Now, if you can localize bass that means there is something wrong in your system. Maybe your woofers/subwoofers are distorting and you are hearing fundametals/harmonics which makes you belive you hear the direction of bass. smile.gif
Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Quote:

...heresys...are 3 way speakers with true subwoofers in them.
Heresys don't have subwoofers, they have woofers. They start rolling off a bit above 100 Hz and are 3 dB down by a bit above 60 Hz. You need to set them to small to redirect frequencies below 80 Hz to the mains or the sub.

This evidence confirms:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?4624-Will-cane-grill-cloth-block-highs&p=42222&viewfull=1#post42222

Old 12-01-2012, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

I guess what I meant was in the klipschorns there are a few different factors such as built in crossovers and an awesome woofer system so the transitions are not noticeable. What sucks is when you set the speaker size it sets it for all inputs so I can't have the fronts set to large for stereo and then set to small for cinema. On my new 3808 you can do that but the sound was not nearly as good as my 5700 so I'm switching back.