Speaker size setting on receiver help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Cartierusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just changed speakers in my theater. The main fronts are klipschorns and the center and surrounds are klipsch heresys. I've got the klipschorn set at large on my denon avr5700. I'm curious if I should set my center channel and surrounds to large as well since they are 3 way speakers with true subwoofers in them. I do have a separate sub woofer a nice large nht powered sub.

Thanks
Cartierusm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
dazkyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Malta , Santa Lucia
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you have a subwoofer in your system , no matter what speakers u have , always set the speakers to small because the subwoofer is designed to play the bass , better then the woofers in your speakers. So all speakers to small , with a 80 hz crossover , so the sub plays 80hz and lower .
dazkyl is offline  
Old 11-26-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mogorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post

When you have a subwoofer in your system , no matter what speakers u have , always set the speakers to small because the subwoofer is designed to play the bass , better then the woofers in your speakers. So all speakers to small , with a 80 hz crossover , so the sub plays 80hz and lower .

+1. For more in-depth explanations here's a good read for Ya.
mogorf is online now  
Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,301
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Since Klipschorns go down very low, I am a little surprised that you use a subwoofer.

I also use a NHT sub, however, and its bass is the tightest and cleanest I have ever heard.

I would not set the center and surrounds to large, however. This will result in bass coming from too many sources, and the phase problems will drive you crazy; it will sound like crap.

The center channel, in my experience, is best set to operate from 120 Hz up, no lower. As a matter of fact, I would bet you that your system would sound much better if you set it that way.

The surrounds should probably be set to roll off at 60 or 80 hz and go no lower.
commsysman is offline  
Old 11-26-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mogorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Since Klipschorns go down very low, I am a little surprised that you use a subwoofer.
I also use a NHT sub, however, and its bass is the tightest and cleanest I have ever heard.

I am a little surprised that you are surprised and question the use of subwoofers. Please read the link I posted in my previous post for the better understanding on why to use subwoofers. smile.gif
mogorf is online now  
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
^^^

i'm not... wink.gif read some of his other "theories"...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
Old 11-26-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Colm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartierusm View Post

...heresys...are 3 way speakers with true subwoofers in them.
Heresys don't have subwoofers, they have woofers. They start rolling off a bit above 100 Hz and are 3 dB down by a bit above 60 Hz. You need to set them to small to redirect frequencies below 80 Hz to the mains or the sub.

Whether you need a subwoofer or not depends on your preferences. The current Klipschorn is 4 dB down at 33 Hz and dropping like a rock. If you want anything approaching accuracy below that, you need a good subwoofer.
Colm is offline  
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Cartierusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool, thanks for the replies. I have to figure out why I don't emails saying there are new posts. Oh well something else I have to work on.
Cartierusm is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Cartierusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok riddle me this bat people, so I read that article linked above and I set all my speakers to small and movies sound better as its not muddled with bass from the front left and right speakers . Now when I listen to music in stereo I notice the lack of bass from the fronts and the bass is now coming from the subwoofer. I don't think this was the case when I had the fronts set to large. I think it sounded better having all the sound for music coming from the fronts only. So what to do, it wouldn't be a problem but the only way to program my denon is having it hooked up to a video source which it's not. I just hook it up with a long cord when I program it. I guess what I'll have to do it use an optical splitter to hook it up to its own source and program that to use the fronts as large.

Any thoughts.
Cartierusm is offline  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,387
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Since Klipschorns go down very low, I am a little surprised that you use a subwoofer.

How low Klipsch horns go is partially dependent on the room they are in and how they are situated there, since the corner they are in is part of their horn. As a rule they start rolling off around 60 Hz or more. I only know one person who still has Kilipschorns and he has a large subwoofer built into his basement and ducted into his living room.
arnyk is online now  
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Cartierusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah for music I think just the fronts are best. I'll use an optical splitter to hook up another input.
Cartierusm is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mogorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartierusm View Post

Ok riddle me this bat people, so I read that article linked above and I set all my speakers to small and movies sound better as its not muddled with bass from the front left and right speakers . Now when I listen to music in stereo I notice the lack of bass from the fronts and the bass is now coming from the subwoofer. I don't think this was the case when I had the fronts set to large. I think it sounded better having all the sound for music coming from the fronts only. So what to do, it wouldn't be a problem but the only way to program my denon is having it hooked up to a video source which it's not. I just hook it up with a long cord when I program it. I guess what I'll have to do it use an optical splitter to hook it up to its own source and program that to use the fronts as large.
Any thoughts.

In that article it is mentioned that our ears loose directionality for bass below around 80 Hz. It doesn't matter whether it's film or music. Now, if you can localize bass that means there is something wrong in your system. Maybe your woofers/subwoofers are distorting and you are hearing fundametals/harmonics which makes you belive you hear the direction of bass. smile.gif
mogorf is online now  
Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,387
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartierusm View Post

...heresys...are 3 way speakers with true subwoofers in them.
Heresys don't have subwoofers, they have woofers. They start rolling off a bit above 100 Hz and are 3 dB down by a bit above 60 Hz. You need to set them to small to redirect frequencies below 80 Hz to the mains or the sub.

This evidence confirms:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?4624-Will-cane-grill-cloth-block-highs&p=42222&viewfull=1#post42222

arnyk is online now  
Old 12-01-2012, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Cartierusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess what I meant was in the klipschorns there are a few different factors such as built in crossovers and an awesome woofer system so the transitions are not noticeable. What sucks is when you set the speaker size it sets it for all inputs so I can't have the fronts set to large for stereo and then set to small for cinema. On my new 3808 you can do that but the sound was not nearly as good as my 5700 so I'm switching back.
Cartierusm is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off