Sharp LC70LE600U Surround setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a Sharp LC70LE600U to replace my 42" I didn't change anything in the wiring except taking the TV out of the sequence and replacing it with the new TV. I currently run two HDMI wires to the TV and route one FiberOptic back to the Receiver for audio. It worked on the old system but fails to produce sound now. I have a PS3 and a Motorola Cable box running into my LC70LE600U and then running the fiber optic back to my Dennon AVR 1908 Receiver. I have Two HDMI inputs and one monitor ouptut on the Dennon and I'm wondering if anyone can advise on which setup I should be running to get the best results as well as why the fiber optic isn't producing output if that is the prefered setup. Also I do get audio output from the tv now so I know I'm getting audio, it's just not piping through to the receiver, even though I can see the red light in the fiber optic wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 AM

I have the same TV model and I'm having a similar issue. I called Sharp and they were no help at all! I connected a Sony HT-CT260 Home Theatre System via the TV's optical audio out put. Only the component that is connected to input HDMI1 seems to produce sound through the optical out put; the other two HDMI ports don't seem to support the optical output. Also, whenever I turn the TV off or switch from HDMI1, the TV "forgets" the settings for the optical output and I have to go back into the Audio Setup menu to toggle "PC in" to get sound from the home theater system.
In short, you may have to go to the Audio Setup menu and select 'PC in' to get audio from optical output, but you'll have to do this every time you turn on the TV or switch from HDMI1.
That's a dealbreaker for me. My setup may be going back to Best Buy for a refund.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-21-2012, 09:09 AM

Let me know if you found a solution to your problem.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
You are connecting everything backwards; it won't work that way, as you have noticed.

Connect everything (ALL of your source devices) to the receiver's two HDMI inputs or its three component video inputs and then run ONE HDMI cable from the receiver's Monitor HDMI output jack to the TV's HDMI input.

You must also hook component video cables (3 cables...RGB) from the receiver Monitor output jacks to the TV set's component-video input.

(Do NOT connect the TVs digital audio output to anything.)

You have to do this because your receiver sends component video to the TV ONLY when the source is hooked to one of the three receiver component-video inputs, and it sends video via HDMI to the TV ONLY when the source is connected to one of the receiver's two HDMI inputs. A minor nuisance, but you can connect up to 5 source devices.

You will of course have to use the TV control to select its HDMI input when the input device is connected via an HDMI input at the receiver, and then select the TVs component-video input when the input device is connected at the receiver's component-video inputs.

The receiver setup screen, BTW, only outputs via the component-video connection (not HDMI).

That should solve all your problems, I think.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 PM

Commsysman, that's just a different way of hooking the television up, and that will not allow the TV speakers to be used if so desired.

I contacted Sharp and spoke with an engineer and it's a software problem, also that the TV will only output audio through the Tuner input currently.
This is a common problem since the release of the television and Sharp is trying to find a fix for the issue.
The 640U will output audio through optical with no problem, i have installed many of them with no problem.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 01:38 AM

good indea, that's just a different way of hooking the television up, and that will not allow the TV speakers to be used if so desired. 10.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Using the TV as a switching hub is not the optimal setup, even if the optical output were working properly. Most TVs limit the digital output to stereo for external devices. Some will pass DD5.1, but only a handful will pass DTS. Since most Blu-ray have DTS tracks, you won't get surround sound from those discs. It's better to run HDMI from each device to the AVR and use the receiver as the switcher rather than the TV. There are ways to still use the TV speakers with that setup, depending on which AVR you have.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-11-2013, 04:13 PM

operationeg, how did you get in touch with an engineer. I called Sharp several times and it seems like a different brain-dead zombie answered the call each time. Those imbeciles knew NOTHING and were no help at all. Talk about frustrating!!!! It's like they made a couple of that particular model of TV, burned the schematics, and vaporized any engineer who was involved with the project!
Thanks for all the input and suggestions, but if anyone has tried anything that actually worked, please post the details of your set-up. My desired set-up is quite simple: I have a Sony soundbar with wireless subwoofer (model number HT-CT260 ); it only has two inputs: an optical and a coaxial. Apparently, connecting the soundbar directly to the TV is not the best option. I also have a Sony receiver, so I'll try toying with that option. But I was hoping for the simplest set-up possible: just the TV and soundbar/subwoofer. My receiver does not have a coaxial outbput, so using the coaxial input on the soundbar does not appear to be an option. I may just have to get a different set of speakers.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page