where is the best place to find music on SACD,Blu-ray, DVD-audio - AVS Forum
Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > where is the best place to find music on SACD,Blu-ray, DVD-audio
Vikkiandkurt's Avatar Vikkiandkurt 11:41 AM 11-27-2012
I own a BD-95 and want to know where to get the best software for the player on a disc. Unfortunately my CD player does a better job on "regular" CD's than the BD-95 does but the BD-95 does a better job with the "superior formats" so to justify keeping it I would like to find music in those formats.I have already been on Amazon.com. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

holt7153's Avatar holt7153 12:49 PM 11-27-2012
I usually get media from Amazon, eBay, Half.com, etc. Why do you feel the Oppo is inferior when playing redbook CDs?
Vikkiandkurt's Avatar Vikkiandkurt 01:54 PM 11-27-2012
I find that the sound of the Oppo BDP-95 to be very " precise" if you will but a little "sterile" in comparison to the Meridian G08 straight CD player that I have. The Meridian is just a a little more musical and warmer sounding and has more space or dimension. It just sounds more natural to me. Interestingly enough I just had a conversation with one of the engineers at Transparent Audio( the mfg of the cables I use) and he also has a Meridian player and the Oppo BDP-95 as well. I asked him his opinion without offering my assessment and it was almost identical. The Meridian is an up- sampling player that converts 16 bit CD'S to 24 bit via an onboard computer. However as I indicated if I play a disc that has both a SACD layer and a red book 16 bit layer the Oppo decoding the SACD recording is better.
Thanks for the info on where you get your music. If you are a computer person(which I am not unfortunately) my understanding is that there are sites like HD-Tracks that you can download "uncompressed" music.
gprace's Avatar gprace 02:03 PM 11-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikkiandkurt View Post

I own a BD-95 and want to know where to get the best software for the player on a disc. Unfortunately my CD player does a better job on "regular" CD's than the BD-95 does but the BD-95 does a better job with the "superior formats" so to justify keeping it I would like to find music in those formats.I have already been on Amazon.com. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
For SACDs try Acousticsounds.com.
Vikkiandkurt's Avatar Vikkiandkurt 02:34 PM 11-27-2012
Thank you for the acoustic sounds.com tip my friend.
Do you guys(and gals) think that that music and or "music videos" will catch on with the blu-ray format? As we all know SACD never "took" and the availability is limited and will continue to dry up. I realize that this question appears to ask if anyone can see into the future but I thought maybe someone might be privy to actual industry forecasts.
someoledude's Avatar someoledude 02:37 PM 11-27-2012
Try Elusive Disc and Music Direct. I also compare amazon or others because you can sometimes find a better deal (though frequently better at ED and MD and better selection/easier shopping)
Vikkiandkurt's Avatar Vikkiandkurt 04:28 PM 11-27-2012
What more can I say than thank you for this great tip on where to look for another source for quality music. You guys and gals are great. Thanks for the outpouring of help.
Kal Rubinson's Avatar Kal Rubinson 07:27 PM 11-27-2012
Quote:

For SACDs, try www.sa-cd.net which has listings, commentaries (lots) and links to sellers.

For BD, try http://www.blu-ray.com/ which is more commercial/glossy than the above.

For DVD-A, try http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/dvdalist.htm for listings and comments but you are on your own for sellers as the medium is evaporating.

Vikkiandkurt's Avatar Vikkiandkurt 06:11 AM 11-28-2012
Thanks Kal, I am 58 yrs old and am amazed that there are any quadraphonic discs available anymore. I remember the medium in my "younger days" when I actually sold equipment after college for a short time. It was a fun time in my life. It is fun to hear from people like you who are even aware of that format. THANK YOU MY FRIEND FOR YOUR EFFORT AND CONSIDERATION. It died out like SACD way back when.
Kal Rubinson's Avatar Kal Rubinson 08:58 AM 11-28-2012
Quote:

Thanks Kal, I am 58 yrs old and am amazed that there are any quadraphonic discs available anymore. I remember the medium in my "younger days" when I actually sold equipment after college for a short time. It was a fun time in my life. It is fun to hear from people like you who are even aware of that format.

And why would I not?  I am older even than you are!

Quote:

THANK YOU MY FRIEND FOR YOUR EFFORT AND CONSIDERATION. It died out like SACD way back when.

SACD has not died completely, at least yet.  I still get many new releases per month.

Vikkiandkurt's Avatar Vikkiandkurt 09:11 AM 11-28-2012
I did not know that SACD's were still being made. Thanks for the education my friend!
Kal Rubinson's Avatar Kal Rubinson 03:19 PM 11-28-2012
Quote:

I did not know that SACD's were still being made. Thanks for the education my friend!

Follow the link I gave you for SACDs and you will what activity there is.

Vikkiandkurt's Avatar Vikkiandkurt 05:49 PM 11-28-2012
I have to say that I am in awe, Kal, as I noticed that you are a contributing editor in Stereophile which to me is nearly akin to getting advice from one of the Apostles in the Bible!!!! I feel like a school child being counseled by one of my idols. Thank you for the follow up advice and for taking the time to help me.
Espo77's Avatar Espo77 06:51 PM 11-28-2012
...Everybody relax now:D
Up
Mobile  Desktop